‹ Prequel: Almost Easy

Come Back To Me

XV.

Hollis didn't end up returning to her apartment, as she neared her home she realized that she didn't want to be there. She didn't want to be anywhere really, but she knew that sitting around in her apartment with family photos around would just add salt to the wound. Instead she found herself driving to the city park, parallel parking on the side and climbing out, she wandered aimlessly throughout the park, the sight of happy couples only adding her her hurt but she preferred to be outside to being cooped up in her lonely apartment.

She walked to a small bakery across the street from the park and bought a small loaf of bread before returning to the park, walking to the pond that sat in the middle. The ducks swarmed around her as she began to rip up the bread and feed it to them. She smiled, knowing that she was making them happy and duck or not, making someone or something happy lifted her spirits more than she thought it would.

She sat down on a bench by the pond, the ducks following her and standing around her feet, their feathers brushing against her legs and their webbed feet walking over her flip flop clad feet every now and then. As the bed ran low she made the pieces smaller and some of the birds lost interest and soon there were only two sitting at her feet, a male and female.

She broke the bread she had left in half, feeding each of them a half and to her surprise they both remained at her feet and did not run when she leaned down and softly ran a hand along their backs. She smiled down at the animals, amazed that something so simple could lift her spirits so easily. They looked back up at her and she showed them her empty hands with a smile.

"Nothing left guys, sorry" She said, as if they could hear her. They looked at her for a moment longer before waddling off together, laying in the shade under a nearby tree, snuggled together.

Not having anything else to distract her from the sadness still inside her, she felt her mind slowly drift back to thoughts of her brother. She didn't want to cry in public and bit her lip in an attempt to hold back the tears, at least until she reached her apartment, but she was unsuccessful. The tears flowed silently from her eyes and she tried to wipe them away as soon as they came but she was unable to keep her eyes dry. People were walking by all around her but she didn't notice them in her sorrow. The tears came and she put her head in her hands, trying in vain to hide the fact that she had been crying.

Her nose began to run and she sniffled a few times as she wiped her eyes off, digging through her purse for her tissues. When she was unable to find any, it just made her cry more. She closed her eyes and breathed deeply, trying to calm herself down. Just as she had calmed a little, she felt a foot standing on her own. She opened her eyes and looked down to see the pair of ducks from before standing at her feet, looking up at her questioningly.

She smiled and even laughed a little as they looked at her and she reached down and petted them both.

"Thanks" She said simply, as if the ducks had given her something other than making her smile. The tears continued to come but Hollis decided to let them come because there was no use in fighting them. The duck laid down together at her feet, their presence making Hollis feel a little better.

She heard footsteps approaching her but paid no mind to it, assuming it was simply someone else passing her by.

"Hollis?" She heard an all too familiar voice call her name and Hollis did not want to lift her head to meet his eyes, knowing that she looked horrible. But she slowly lifted her head to stare into Zacky's green eyes.

"Hi Zacky" She said, sniffling.

He was holding hands with an adorable redhead and Hollis smiled slightly, glad that he was happy but inside her heart broke slightly knowing that not one but both of the men she was in love with had someone.

"What's wrong?" He asked, his voice actually caring.

"You don't care. Just go on your way. I'm fine."

"Hollis don't talk like that. I care. And I know that you're not fine."

"Zacky just leave." She said, her voice almost pleading.

"Zacky, she wants to be alone" She heard his girlfriend say to him, trying to pull him away but Zacky stood steadfast.

"Colleen, just wait a minute. I'm not leaving." He said, looking back to Hollis, "Hollis, tell me what's wrong."

"Just ask Brian. It's not like you want to talk to me or anything. Just go on your way with your girlfriend and I'm just going to go home." She said standing, the ducks standing up and walking back to the shade knowing that Hollis was leaving.

Zacky let go of Colleen's hand and grabbed Hollis by the wrist. She swung around and her tear filled eyes met his.

"Can you just leave me alone Zacky? I know you want to. You hate me, remember?" She said, beginning to sob softly again.

"Zacky" His girlfriend called again.

"Colleen, please just wait." He begged.

"Go with her Zacky. Please." Hollis pleaded, trying to get her wrist free from his grip but to no avail.

"Not until you tell me what's wrong." He persisted.

"My brother's dead, okay? Happy now?! You know! Now just go with your girlfriend and have a good time." She shouted, tears running down her face.

It was then that Zacky surprised her, he took a step forward, closing the gap between them and pulled her into a tight embrace.

He took his keys from his pocket and threw them to Colleen. "Just drive yourself home. I can pick my car up from you later tonight. I'm sorry." He said, his eyes apologetic.

"Yeah, I am too" She said in a disappointed voice before turning and leaving her boyfriend holding another woman.
♠ ♠ ♠
So yeah. Here it is.
Zacky opening up a bit.
Colleen being not too happy about it.

I got very few comments last chapter and it made me sad. I used to get at least five comments per chapter and I'm not getting that. So please comment, 5 comments gets the rest of Zacky and Hollis' conversation! And I know you want that!

Comment and Subscribe please!!