‹ Prequel: Almost Easy

Come Back To Me

XIX.

Hollis stood up and ran from the office, knowing that she had just made a complete fool of herself in front of Norelle and Brian. She fled to her car, climbing into the drivers seat and driving down a few blocks to get away from the office, in case one of them was to come outside after her. She parked outside of her apartment complex, not wanting to leave the car to walk into her apartment. She laid her head down on the steering wheel and started to cry again, not being able to control her emotions anymore.

What hurt most of all was the look that Brian had given her when Norelle told her the news. His face said it all - I told you she was the only one for me. He looked so smug seeing Hollis' reaction and Hollis knew deep down that she deserved it. She was the foolish one who through herself at him and expected him to throw everything away and take her back.

"I'm such an idiot." She said between sobs, her whole body convulsing as sobs wrenched through her body. Her phone started to ring and she picked it up to see that it was Brian calling. She promptly threw the phone into the backseat of her car, not wanting to think about or hear from him after what had just happened. The phones ringing stopped, only to resume again a minute or two later, much to Hollis' dismay.

"Leave me alone!" She cried out, as if the phone could hear her and not caring that it couldn't. Her head was swimming and she couldn't calm her storm of thoughts as hard as she tried to. She knew that sitting in her car and crying wasn't helping anyone, but she was a at a loss for what else to do or where else to go. The phone rang again and this time Hollis nearly screamed as she crawled into the backseat to retrieve her phone and tell Brian to stop calling her.

"Can you please just leave me alone?" She said as she answered the phone.

"Hollis?" She heard on the other end of the phone, not hearing Brian's voice like she had anticipated, instead it was Zacky's voice coming through the phone.

"Zacky?" She asked, despite the fact that she knew it was him right away.

"Are you okay? Brian called and told me that you might need someone to talk to considering you wouldn't answer his phone calls."

"I don't want to talk to Brian" She said like a five year old, "Not after what he did."

"Hollis, come over here. We can talk as much as you need to." He ordered rather than asked.

"Is he going to be home?"

"No. He and Elle are going to her parents tonight for dinner. He won't be home until late tonight so you have nothing to worry about. Please come over, I don't like the thought of you being alone."

"Okay Zacky, I'll be right over. Thank you."

"No problem. I'll see you soon."

She hung up and drove her car away from her apartment and sped towards Zacky and Brian's house. IT only took a couple minutes before she was parked in their driveway and was making her way up the front walk, being met by Zacky at the door.

He opened up the front door and she stepped inside, being immediately drawn into a hug. Zacky's tattooed arms wrapped around her, holding her tightly to him as she began to cry again.

"Shh. It's going to be all right" He whispered into her ear as she cried.

"Thank you Zacky. Two days in a row I come to you crying and you still put up with me." She said into his chest between sobs.

"It's no problem at all Hollis, truly. Let's go sit down" He said, leading her into the living room and sitting her down on the couch, taking a seat beside her, taking her in his arms once again.

"Hollis, you can't be angry with Brian, he's so in love with Norelle, it was only a matter of time before he proposed to her."

"He did it because of me!" She said through tears.

"What do you mean?"

"I told him I still loved him. And he said he was going to spend the rest of his life with Norelle and he would prove it to me."

"He may have said that but he really does love her. I doubt he would propose just to get at you. He's not like that. He called me after he got the ring, he was so excited, I could tell it was something he truly wanted to do."

"If you say so"

"I do. Trust me Hollis. You're just emotional because of the feelings you had for him mixed with everything that happened with your brother, trust me everything will work out for the best."

She snuggled closer into his chest, almost as if the closer she got to him the farther away all of her problems went. He wrapped an arm protectively around her, holding her close to him, willing to hold her as long as it took for her to feel better.

He heard the front door open and that sound was soon followed by Colleen's cheerful voice calling to him.

"Babe! I'm here!" She said happily, walking into the living room and stopping dead in her tracks as she saw Zacky holding a crying Hollis.

"What the hell is this?" She asked, all the cheeriness fading away from her voice.

"It's a long story. She needed someone to talk to. I totally forgot we had plans babe."

She scoffed, "It sure looks like you're just talking. Zacky just tell me what's going on."

"There's nothing going on Colleen. She's just a friend who needed someone to be there for her."

"Yeah I'm sure." She said, glaring at him.

Zacky laid the now-sleeping Hollis down on the couch as he stood up and led Colleen into the kitchen so they wouldn't wake her.

"Colleen you're being ridiculous"

"I'm being ridiculous! You're the one who's sitting all cuddled up in the living room with a girl you used to be in love with! It's obvious that you still have feelings for her Zacky! Anyone with a pulse could see that you still love her!"

"Colleen! Stop this!"

"No! You stop! Stop lying to me and yourself! It's obvious that there's no room in your heart for anyone else as long as she's part of your life."

"Are you telling me to choose between a relationship with you or being friends with Hollis?"

"I guess I am." She said, crossing her arms across her chest.

"Colleen, please don't do this."

"Zacky, by you saying that, I already know that you're picking her." She waited for a moment and Zacky didn't say anything at all, "That silence? That's you breaking up with me." She said, turning and walking back to the front door.

"Good luck with everything Zacky. I hope she's worth it." She said softly, leaving the house, closing the door behind her.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sure there are many happy people now
this chapter was somewhat hard to write but i think it turned out okay

on another note...
Five stars!
You guys are amazing!
Keep it up!
Comments are love!
at least 5 please!!