‹ Prequel: Almost Easy

Come Back To Me

XXI.

Days passed.
Weeks passed.
Things improved.
Hearts were still heavy.

"Zacky?" Hollis asked from the kitchen as he sat in her living room watching TV. Hollis had been true to her word of proving to him how much she cared, Zacky had slowly been spending more and more time with her, but was still wary to call her his girlfriend.

"Yeah?"

She sat down on the couch beside him. Looking at her feet nervously. "My brother's funeral is tomorrow." She said softly, "The government is finally done with his body so mom and I are having it interred right by our father tomorrow."

He placed a hand on her shoulder, this contact alone making her relax.

"I think once we have the funeral and bury him things will be a lot easier for me, you know? I feel ridiculous being a shrink that can't even function enough to have a full patient load every day, I'm sure there are unhappy people..."

"Don't worry about them. You went through and are still going through a hard time. I mean, you are helping your mom plan a wedding on top of losing your brother. Anyone would be a complete wreck, I'm really proud of you for how well you're handling everything." He said, pulling her close to him and placing a kiss on her forehead.

"Will you come with me to the funeral?" She asked softly, "I know it's like something a boyfriend would do and I know that you aren't my boyfriend and don't want to be but it would mean a lot, you know?"

He chuckled softly, causing her to pull away and look at him with slightly angry eyes.

"Sorry" He quickly apologized, "But I wasn't laughing at your request, I was just laughing at the word vomit that occurred after you asked. I would love to be with you at the funeral. Anything to make it easier for you."

She leaned up and kissed him on the cheek, "Thanks Zacky. You're the best."

**

It was no exaggeration to say that during the funeral Hollis (not to mention Hollis' mother) was very close to being inconsolable. Zacky held her tightly to his side, his tattooed arm wrapped around her shoulders protectively. He remained silent for the entire service, trying to push his apprehension about being at a funeral from his mind. He knew that this was growth for him, having been unable to attend a funeral since Matt's. But he knew that Hollis was worth overcoming his fear.

The service ended and the small group of family and friends filed out of the church and into the cars that would take them to the cemetery that was not too far from the church. For Zacky, the entire burial was a complete blur, trying to keep his mind off of what was actually going on, knowing that it would not end well if he let his anxiety get a hold of him. Hollis clung to his hand the entire time, lacing her fingers with his and squeezing his hand as they walked from the burial towards the small restaurant across the street where they would have the "Reception."

Zacky and Hollis stood uncomfortably in the back of the room, away from her mother and boyfriend who were surrounded by weeping friends and relatives. Hollis had told him that she wanted to stay as far away from the majority of people as possible. They stood secluded, most people not noticing them, much to Hollis' relief.

"Do you want to leave?" Zacky whispered in her ear, knowing that she probably wanted to get out of there, even if she should be staying.

"I can't go." She said, "But God do I want to."

"Hollis!" Asomewhat shrill voice called as Zacky turned and saw an old lady walking towards them and Hollis groaned.

"Hi Grandma" She said, moving from Zacky's side and giving her grandmother a hug.

"Who's this?" She asked, looking at Zacky, her voice holding some sense of distaste that her clean cut granddaughter would be with someone so...not.

"This is Zacky, Grandma." Hollis said, moving back to his side.

"I see. And what is his relation to you?" She asked in an even more condescending voice, a voice that Hollis was used to ignoring but annoyed Zacky to no end.

"He's my"

"I'm her boyfriend" He said, cutting her off and causing both the women's jaws to drop.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I think this kind of sucks but I've had dreadful writers block on this story and I'm trying to find a way to end it somewhat soon before the writing gets crappy.
But this had a major incident at the end which was important.
So I promise the next one won't take so long. But I hope you enjoyed!
What do you think about the boyfriend thing?