‹ Prequel: Better Man
Sequel: Family Portrait

Alone This Holiday

Chapter Five

"Um, and why did I get rung?" I asked McKenna's School Principal, as I sat in the principals office. My little sister crying, made me all the more pissed off at the boy who she punched for calling her a 'slut'. "I mean, not that I'm angry, or whatever. But shouldn't her, I mean our, parent's have been called?"

She shrugged, "Well, McKenna kept on asking for you," I groaned as my phone rang, the I.D letting me know it was now Scotty's school. "Did you need to answer that?"

"Ah, yeah, sorry. I'll just be a second," I flipped it open, and sighed a simple, "Yeah?"

"Is this Mr, um, Haner?"

"Yeah, it is,"

"Mr Haner, this morning your wife-"

"Ex-wife," I corrected. "She's my ex,"

"Your ex-wife, then, was in an accident out the front of the school. Your children were all in the car, as well,"

"Oh my god,"

"I just realised nobody had bothered to call you, and I thought I'd take it upon myself to do so, Brian,"

"Estelle?" I asked, my ears suddenly registering her soft voice.

"Yeah, it's me, Brian. Look you really need to get to the hospital, I don't know any details except for the bus driver is being charged for drunk driving-"

"Which hospital?"

"Huntington General," I muttered a quick goodbye, before hanging up and turning to the principal.

"I need to go," I picked up my little sister, she was holding her backpack, so I just carried the ten-year-old to my car. She pointed out mid-way that she can walk on her own, but I ignored her and carried her anyway, she was about the same weight as her nephew, which I don't think is good considering Scotty is slightly underweight. I dropped her off at home, where Dad have me a questioning look before I sped off to the hospital, not giving a fuck about explaining to Dad what had happened. At the traffic lights I waited, five minutes, ten minutes, fifteen minutes passed then I got pissed off and beeped my horn. A police officer knocked on my window who'd been standing on the sidewalk, his face was an off colour, and I couldn't take him seriously.

"Is there a problem, Sir?" He asked, I got a noseful of his breath, and nearly choked. "Hm?"

"My children were in an accident, I need to get to the hospital and there is a fucking red light," I pointed up to the light, that was now green. "But on that note, I'm leaving," I slammed my foot on the accelerator, and before I knew it, I was parking in the carpark, in the disabled parking which was closest. When I got inside, I took the directions to the peidiatrics floor, where I found my daughter first, she was fine, but then a doctor approached me, and I saw the sadness in her eyes, and my Zach's folder in her arms.

"We need to talk," She muttered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Dun, dun, duuunnnn

Comment with what you believe is gonna happen =)

I got my navel pierced two days ago, and am sore today, and am going to update all my stories today.

XxX_Numb_XxX