The Official Office Games

Haylie

Haylie's POV

I tapped against the desk, my pen furiously dancing over the piles of papers strewn all over my desk. I let out an agitated and exhausted sigh when a large shadow loomed over my desk and coughed gently.

I slowly looked up, my forehead creasing and my eyebrows disappearing somewhere way up into my hairline. I finally reached the person's head and banged my leg sharply under the desk. To say I was surprised was an understatement.

"Mr Steven," I claimed. I pushed my chair back and quickly stood up. "How can I...? What can...? Is there something I can help you with Sir?" I pitifully managed.

I heard loud snickers erupt from the surrounding desks but pretended not to hear.

"Ms Conman," he nodded. "I'd like to see you in my office please."

My heart skipped a few beats at his request, but I managed to nod. "Yes... of course." I stammered. "When?"

"Now." His tone was crisp, sharp and lethal. I felt myself tilt forward and quickly grabbed onto the edge of the desk to hold me up. "If that's OK with you." He added, a few seconds later.

"Oh yes, yes, that's just FINE," I thought ruefully. "It not like I've got an important deadline coming up."

My heart thumped against my ribs and I felt as if I was about to faint. Instead , I answered, " Of...of. That's fine." I pushed myself away from my desk and managed to stay upright without it's support.

I looked up, at my boss of seven years, and nodded weakly when he signalled for me to move ahead. I walked to the elevators my head hanging low.

I was getting fired.

Everybody knew if Mr Steven made an appearance with Level 4 workers, they were mostly likely going to be fired. Or promoted? I quickly pushed the thought away and mentally prepared myself to be 'let go'.

I could picture it already.

A box of tissue's on his desk, his hands neatly folded on his desk, and his face.

His face which was normally so gentle and handsome looking, would be tilted to the side, his lively green eyes dull and full of pity. He'd utter the words pretending he cared. He'd get up from his seat, slowly walk around his desk, pat my shoulder once and tell me I could take as much time I needed and quietly leave his office.

I walked into his office, looking around and appreciating its size. It wasn't as small as I thought it would be, and it wasn't grey. In fact is was the same colour as his eyes. Sea green.

"Take a seat." I wasn't sure if it was a request or an order but I took it anyway. I didn't think my legs would be able to take the blow he was about to give me. I looked at his desk, mentally scoffing when I saw the box of tissue's innocently sitting there. Just waiting for me to snatch at them.

"So Ms Conman..." he started. He already had his hands neatly folded and his head titled to the side. "I'm sure you're wondering what you're doing here..."

"I know what I'm doing here Mr Steven. I'm getting fired. I know it. You know it. My colleagues at Level 4 know it. Hell my mother probably knows it too. I'd prefer it if we got this over and done with quickly." I didn't know where the little speech had come from but I didn't want to be like the rest. I didn't want a blotchy face when I walked out this office. I wanted to do it with my head held high.

"Well Ms Con..."

"Enough with the Ms Conman already." I interreupted. "I know what my surname is. I know I'm not a MRS Conman. Just say the damn words. I know you don't want me in here taking up your valuable time and wasting your branded tissue's, which I bet cost a bomb, probably scented too. Just say the two words. 'You're Fired!" It's not hard. You know what? Just to speed things up a bit, I'll say them for you." I stood up from my seat and took a deep breath.

"Sorry Ms Conman but you're fired."

I felt like giving him the finger, instead a politely stuck out my hand and gave him a shaky smile. "It was ni... horrid working for you. The last 7 years have been the worst of my entire life." I told him. "Crap pay too."

He slowly took my hand, his fingers barely touching mine before I let my hand drop.

I think he was in shock.

His eyes looked kind of huge and his mouth was agape. It would have been funny if he'd started choking on a fly.

I opened the door to his office, the door missing my nose by a few centimetres.

"But...wait. Wait." He shouted. He stood up from his seat, shaking his head and walked around his desk, towards me. "You're not fired. "I mean I don't think you are...were. " His head was tilted to the side again and he seemed to be gazing over my right shoulder. "You're getting promoted." His head tilted further, I was sure he was about to take the offer back. Especially after my little performance.

"What?! OMG! OMG!" I felt my hands start to flutter and before I knew it I'd launched myself at him. It was the second after I felt him stiffen that I quickly let go of his neck and dropped back down to earth. "OMG I'm so sorry. I didn't mean... OMG." I didn't know what to say and I'm pretty sure I wrinkled his suit.

He took a large step back, pretty flustered and red in the face. "Why don't you take and seat and let me explain," he coughed.

I giggled as I closed his office and skipped to his chair. This room didn't seem to look so crappy after all.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter was by the lovely Sammy Yasin, aka Yada-Yada-Yada :)

The chapter title's kinda uncreative, but it was a last minute thing and I really wanted to post xP

comment/subscribe