The Official Office Games

Mean Girls

Haylie's POV

My happy mood was gone. It had slipped away as soon as I'd seen her.

When the receptionist had smiled at me I knew something wasn't right. Blonde bimbo's, with enhanced breasts who couldn't even glance at there own feet standing up, did not smile at people like me. They sneered, and scoffed.

I looked behind me, noticing a blonde walk, catwalk style, down the corridor heading straight towards us. She stopped in front of the receptionist, ignoring me to the point of pushing me out the way so the two could air kiss.

"Sheila darling, how are you?" The blonde asked. She smiled at the receptionist, although I noticed it didn't reach her eyes.

Sheila giggled, her left hand slowly coming up and blinding me. "OMG darling, is that what I think it is? Did he ask you?" I blinked rapidly trying to get my eyes to focus again.

"He did," Sheila giggled again. "He took me away for the weekend, to Rome and he did it on our last night there. Oh Claire is was so romantic," she sighed. I felt like barfing, hating the fact that girls like Sheila always got guys while girls like me, nerds, always ended up with 10 cats instead.

"The ring is beautiful darling, make sure you keep an eye on him. We all know that guys like Roger don't stay for with one woman for long." I wasn't sure if Claire had been joking but the atmosphere around the two quickly changed to below zero.

Sheila's face quickly dropped. The warmth and happiness that she was radiating before disappeared in a matter of seconds and all that remained was a cold hard plastic shell. "Just because you couldn't tame him when he was with you doesn't mean he's going to cheat on me," whispered Sheila.

I quickly took a step back, noticing that Claire's hand was clenching and that her nails looking awfully sharp. "Well darling I'm happy for you," Claire managed. Her smile was stiff and if there had been anyone else in the room I wouldn't have known who'd made the comment. "But what did you call me down here for, not all of us get paid for filing our nails and answering a few phone calls."

Sheila stiffened at the insult but kept her eyes locked with Claire. "True but at least I don't have to show people around and get called a skank behind my back. Your next assignment is cowering behind you."

The little pity I'd felt towards Sheila when Claire had insulted her fiancé quickly disappeared. I smiled at Claire when she turned around her eyes turned to slits as she looked over me. I unconsciously stood straighter my hand sweeping my skirt for any wrinkles.

"You're not pretty so I won't hurt you," said Claire.

My eyes widened, I wasn't sure whether I should be happy that I was safe or angry that she'd just insulted me. Before I could make up my mind she'd walked off. I glanced at Sheila but she was no help, her back was already turned. I turned to look at Claire again, she was already halfway down the corridor. With a heavy sigh, a turned to follow her, my heels clicking loudly against the grey marble floor. As soon as I'd managed to close the large gap, Claire stopped and pivoted.

"Wait here, only come in when I call for you. Got it?"

I nodded my head, breathing heavily. "Sure."

I waited against the wall, my eyes sweeping the hallway and everybody who was walking past me. I smiled at a group of men in dark suits who walked past and unconsciously breathed in.

"What are you doing standing here?" He'd scared me again, making me jump and turn towards him.

"Claire told me to wait here until she called for me," I explained.

His eyebrows furrowed together and if we'd been all alone I'm sure I would have been able to hear what he was mumbling under his breath.

"The Company doesn't pay you to loiter around in hallways. Follow me."

I felt a sharp pain in my chest at his cold tone and scratched at it. "Lead the way Mr Stevens."
♠ ♠ ♠
Done, yet again, by one of my best mibba buddies evaaa

Sammy, of course :P

comment/subscribe