The Official Office Games

Just A Girl

Jade's POV

I glanced blankly at the computer screen as small black letters paraded across white the screen when I typed them.

"Jade?" laughed a quiet voice.

I came out of my trance and looked towards the source of the voice where my friend, Courtney, sat.

"You zoned out again," she pointed out.

"I never noticed," I said sarcastically, turning my attention back to the screen "This job is freakin' boring."

I didn't receive a reply so I got back to work, typing. My hands were aching from the past 2 hours of it, tempting me to just go and pretend I was sick. My boss was pregnant anyways, she wouldn't interrogate me because she'd be too worried about trying to walk properly. No, I needed the money. I sighed and forced myself to carry on. Out of all the places I picked to work in! At least the pay wasn't too bad. I probably shouldn't have bought that skin cream. Results in three days my ass. I'd been using the stuff for a month and if anything it made my skin worse, not better! I glanced at the small clock at the corner of my screen. Only 20 minutes until my lunch break.

"Any plans for the weekend?" asked Courtney quietly.

"Dunno. Watch television. Might hang around with some friends. You?" I muttered, cracking my fingers and then continuing to type.

"I'm going shopping with my sister, she's visiting from England," Courtney replied cheerily.

Lunch time arrived all too slowly and as soon as the screen read 12:30pm I was up and out the door. The cold air nipped at my face as the wind whipped around me. I buried my face into my jacket and began to walk towards a small cafe. Luckily, it wasn't far, only a 10 minute walk. It couldn't be too long anyway, my break was only half an hour. There wasn't much of a line and only a few people were scattered around the room, sitting at tables. I had always loved the smell of cafe's, normally because they smelt of coffee and they always seemed really welcoming.

At one of the tables sat a guy. He was lanky with shaggy black hair and brown eyes. He was reading, I couldn't see the name of the book though. He looked up and then smiled! At me! I smiled back nervously. He then looked directly at me and...snorted? He rolled his eyes, shook his head the pointed. I frowned and turned around. There was another girl in front of me. I turned back, feeling myself going bright pink and I avoided looking anywhere near them.

"I did not just do that...I did not just do that...." I thought to myself mentally.

I was stupid. Why would any random guy smile at me? Guys liked skinny. Guys liked flawless skin. Guys didn't like chubby, nor did they like bad skin! I would've slapped myself then and there if I could've without looking like a psycho. It was soon my turn to order so I ordered a simple sandwich and coffee to go. Once I was handed my food I took them and made my way out. Passing the guy who was now sitting with girl, laughing. I hurried my pace when I passed them. I was glad to be outside, even if it was bitingly cold, at least I wasn't as embarrassed anyway.

Humiliation was often a weekly thing for me. I embarrassed myself a lot without meaning to, then I'd beat myself up about for a while and once I got over it I'd embarrass myself again. I shook my head and continued back towards work, I'd eat on one of the benches outside.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh, I'm just a girl,
Guess I'm some kind of freak!
'Cause they all sit 'n stare with their eyes...


Just A Girl by No Doubt :)

Chapter by Lucy, aka Skiffle. :D

comment/subscribe