I Hear it's Wonderful in Heaven

Chapter Two: I'll Be Fine

Nick let his had run over the smooth cherry finish as he looked out over the cemetery. His eyes roamed over the gray stones that littered the rolling hills before they came to rest on a massive live oak covered in tangled grey moss. As he followed a fallen leaf of the mighty oak’s lazy path towards the ground he found the tree to be both beautiful and ominous; Ava would have loved it.

He turned towards the picture of his friends smiling face before quickly moving his gaze to the surface of the cherry box once more. Taking a deep breath Nick closed his eyes as he felt his throat begin to tighten and his eyes begin to well up.

As the first tear fell from his eye and began its timid path down his cheek the river breeze roared to life bringing a series of goose bumps to his flesh. He felt the tear roll off his chin and opened his eyes to watch the salty mass fall to the cheery surface in fascination.

Nick blinked down at the fallen tear in amazement. It had maintained its shape after coming into contact with the cheery surface instead of splattering in many different directions like it should have; like most would have. He hesitantly rand his finger across it’s wet surface and watched in curiosity as the tear began to roll down the curved surface of the coffin.

The tear had captivated him because it had remained structured and intact even after its release from its home of grief and frustration. It had remained strong as it faced its demise; it reminded him of Ava.

As a few more tears began to follow their predecessors path Nick slowly brought two of his fingertips to his lips softly kissing them before moving them back towards the cool smooth surface.

When his fingertips came into contact with the surface once more he felt the lightest of whispers flow into his ear and had to bite his lip to hold in the gasp he wanted to emit. Goose bumps covered his body once more as the hair on the back of his neck stood rigid.

He closed his eyes as the whispered word echoed through his head; he had heard that sad whisper once before.

Nick let his mind wonder back to that night as that one whispered word played through his mind.

Nicky

XXXX

Nick watched his older brother walk out of the hospital room wiping his eyes. He stood frozen staring at the open door way wondering if he could bring himself to actually walk through it. He didn’t want to accept the truth none of them could hide from any longer; he did not want to believe their friend was dying and that this would probably be the last time they ever saw her.

Ava was strong, she was a fighter; she could beat it, she was beating it.

They had all just talked to her three days ago; she was in the hospital because she had a cold. She was fine, she was happy; how did she go down so fast?

Nick felt his throat tightening and willed the inevitable tears to hold out until he was alone. He cleared his throat and shakily made his way into the room. He looked around the standard hospital room letting his eyes avoid resting on her until he was sure he could contain the sob that desperately wanted to escape.

As a last attempt at controlling himself Nick walked over to the window looking out over the street below.

“Nice view,” Nick silently cursed at the break evident in his voice.

“Nicky,” She whispered through gasps.

Nick closed his eyes and rested his head on the cool glass.

She began to hack between gasps, the beeping got louder on her heart monitor causing Nick to clinch his fists.

As the heart monitor slowed she whispered again, “Nicky, it’s okay to cry; you don’t have to be strong for me.”

He felt his control snap as tears ran down his face; he turned finally letting his eyes rest on his friend’s frail body.

“Oh Ava,” He cried kneeling beside her bed and resting his head beside her.

Ava ran her hand through his hair, “Shhh, it’ll be okay; it’s better this way.”

“Please fight Ava, don’t leave us; not like this.”

“I’m too tired to fight Nicky, please don’t hate me for that,” Ava whispered in a broken voice.

Broken sobs escaped his chest as he choked out, “But we need you Ava, please; I need you. I can’t do this with out you; you’re the only person who understands.”

“Nicholas Jerry Jonas look at me,” Ava demanded as she pulled at his curls.

Nick glanced up at Ava taking in the dark circles and look of acceptance in her eyes.
“I am your friend and yes I understand but I’ve only been there for you on a few of your bad days; your family has always been understanding and supportive, they will be there for you when I can’t. In fact they will always be there for you and don’t you ever forget that,” Ava stated in slightly louder scratchy voice.

Nick looked down in shame, “I- I’m sorry Ava, you’re right; I’m just being selfish.”

Ava gasped a bit finding it harder and harder to take a breath, “You’re damn right you are.”

Nick looked up in surprise.

Ava smirked, “You seem surprised?”

Nick just shook his head, “I guess I shouldn’t; you’ve always called me on my bullshit.”

Ava coughed more than she laughed, “And why break routine now right?”

Nick eyes started to tear up once more, “Oh Ava I’m gonna miss you so much.”

Ava tisked as she ran a hand through his curls once more, “Oh Nicky, how can you miss me when I’ll never truly leave you.”

Nick looked at her in confusion.

She smiled, “Sweetie I’ll always be right here,” she stated placing a hand over his heart.

“All you have to do is live your life and sing your heart out and I will be right here cheering you along every step of the way,” she added patting his chest for emphasis.

Nick smiled as he laid his head against her side so she could continue to play with his curls. He was truly going to miss this amazing girl who he had come to think of as a sister.

He winced as coughs racked through her body once again leaving her to gasp for air.

“Sing to me Nicky; just for a little while, please,” She begged as she struggled to breathe.

“What do you want to hear?” he asked, ignoring the obvious break in his voice.

She smiled, “You know which one Nicky.

Nick sighed tears running down his face as he began to sing the familiar words of A Little Bit Longer.

XXXX

Nick took a deep breath and wiped his eyes before placing his hand on the coffin once more. Never had that song be more meaningful to him than it had been that night as he sang it to her.

Just a little bit longer and I’ll be fine.

‘Ava is fine now, she’s in heaven where she’ll never have to fight or suffer ever again’Nick thought to himself as he joined his brothers on the front row.

The wind sped up once again and Nick smiled as he turned his head as if he could hear a whisper.

“I am fine Nicky now be strong, your brothers need you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
First off I am soooo sorry for the lack of updates!!

So I had originally planned on this being Joe's chapter but I couldn't get this scene out of my mind because Ava had a connection with Nick that she could never of had with Joe and Kevin due to them both having to struggle with an illness.

Did you like it??