I Hear it's Wonderful in Heaven

Chapter Four: Stay Strong

Joe listened to the dull roar of thousands of confused whispers. He couldn’t blame them for being confused, this was different. No big production, no crowd pleasing entrance just the three of them waking onto the stage. Pacing he held the microphone in his firm grip, this was a split second decision they had made as a band and it was something he really wanted to do.

Stopping in the middle of the stage Joe brought the microphone up, opened his mouth , shook his head and continued to pace. He wasn’t sure he could do it. Emotions were too raw. It had been three days since her funeral and the idea to cancel the first stop on the tour had been thrown around but they knew she wouldn’t have wanted it.

Stopping once more in the middle of the stage Joe asked himself what Ava would do. Bringing the mic back to his mouth he knew the answer was easy; Ava was brave.

“Three days ago our friend Ava Marie Martin was laid to rest,” Joe paused as the noise level dropped to dead silence.

Smiling Joe continued, “so if you don’t mind I’d like to tell you a little about her…”

“Ava was the strongest person we have ever had the pleasure of knowing. She was sarcastic, competitive, and girly. Her favorite color was brown because she felt it was the most unloved. She hated skirts but loved dresses. She was extremely intelligent but she tended to play it off. She has spent the last three years working for us but her true dream was to become a veterinarian. But the thing you should really know about Ava is she was a fighter in the truest form. Even when she was diagnosed she viewed it at a challenge that she would overcome.

Joe paused and wiped an errant tear, “Ava was my best friend and even though she’s gone she will never be forgotten; this one is for you Ava,” He finished as Kevin plucked the first few cord of her favorite song.

Ava smiled down at the scene below her humming as the boys played her favorite song.

“Are you ready to go?”

Ava smiled at her guide, “Almost.”

“You were quite loved,” He commented as he watched the boys preform.

Ava grinned, “I was wasn’t I. You know this song is about me. They wrote it when I was undergoing my first batch of treatments in LA.”

“They seem to have cared for you a great deal.”

“They did. I love all of those boys so much.”

As Joe finished out the song the guide held out his hand, “It’s time.”

Ava smiled, “Is it wonderful in Heaven?”

The guide smiled, “More spectacular than you could ever imagine.”

Ava placed her hand in his, “I’m ready.”


Joe felt a chill run down his spine and he looked up and smiled.

“Stay strong Joe, I love you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
hoped you liked the conclusion of this story; thanks for reading!

leave some love