‹ Prequel: Church On Sunday

Extraodinary Girl

She's all alone again

Time had passed since Billie and Tre had fallen in love and were living together… I was still trying to deal with it, but I couldn’t just flake out and grieve for what I had lost, I had Joey and Jake to think of. I couldn’t be angry or bitter about it anymore. Some days I felt like dying, but I had got so sick of crying.

It had been 6 months and we had got divorced, Billie giving me everything. He actually sat me down and told me that it was for my future and for the boys; and that was the most important thing to him. Even after all, he was still caring and generous to a fault.

They were such beautiful and smart boys. Everyday, I saw more of their father in them. That made me happy; it was like having a piece of Billie Joe still here with me. More so in Joey; he had become the man of the house. Always there to watch over me, helping me when he thought I was down or just there to show that he and Jake still loved me. Both did well in school and life was becoming somewhat normal again. But Bill was still gone.

He and Tre seemed to move from strength to strength, but I was still here…trying to find my way out. I couldn’t stop loving Billie like that. Even when I had signed the divorce papers, I felt my life was over. We sat in our lawyers’ office and I had looked at him; he caught my eye and I still felt that tingle....that spark I felt the first time I saw him all those years ago. But the longer I held his gaze, the more I realised that the thrill had gone for him. He now looked at me with the love of a friend.

Tre was…Tre. After many sleepless nights wondering whether I was that repulsive, whether I had turned my husband completely gay, I came to the fact that he and Tre had something. More than what any of us could really understand.
I had known about Billie’s bi-sexuality from day one, just as much as I had known that they had dated when they were younger. And I also had to admit that I saw the chemistry they had. It was clear in pictures, in interviews the band did, even when they were'nt working and just hanging out…it was always there, I guess I just pushed it to the back of my mind. Up until I had forced the truth from Billie, I was in denial; thinking my marriage was perfect, when in reality, it was far from that.

I understood that now and we were all working on building our friendship back up. I loved Billie and Tre both, and we had to be strong for the children. But there was someone else who was helping to fill the void.

Mike.

He had always been around, you know…Billie’s best friend, my best friend…but now with the divorce and all, I was relying on him more and he was always there. I don’t know exactly when it happened or even how, but I began to see Mike very differently. It was wrong but the more time he spent with us, the more I couldn’t shake these new found feelings.

But there wasn’t anything I couldn’t do about it. Mike was with Brittany and they were in love. The were practically married, for God’s sake! There was no way Mike felt anything more for me then friendship. Sounds about right…
And of course, he was my husband's best friend. Admittedly things were tense between them for a while; he had punched Tre in the face, but they had worked their problems out. They had to…they had to work together. And who was I to get in the way of a friendship with such a strong foundation that was built long before I appeared.

One night, Mike, the boys, Estella and I had gone to dinner. Britt was in New York buying stock for her store. We sat in the restaurant, talking about the kids and normal stuff when I knocked my fork off the table by accident.
What happened next was straight out of some cheesy romantic movie. We had both bent down to pick it up and our hands grazed each other gently. I looked up and caught his eye; both of us holding our gaze a little longer then necessary, and he let go of the fork, squeezing my hand, while smiling a little.

And then I felt it. That's when I realised.
It was almost like that spark I had felt for Billie. I didn’t think I’d feel that again, especially for Mike; I mean…it was wrong…
That’s when I knew that I was feeling something for Mike that I shouldn’t. And the way he had looked at me, I was beginning to think he had felt something too.

Why is it that something that you know is so wrong, could feel so right?