‹ Prequel: Church On Sunday

Extraodinary Girl

From the one called Whatsername

“I cant believe you think there’s something going on between Adie and Mike. That’s --it’s just not right, Billie Joe” Tre says with disbelief. The thought had been playing around in my head for a while now but I pushed it aside. Now it was back… because of Brittany.

“Well how do you explain Britt’s phone call? She just doesn’t call me like that, Tre.”

“I know, but Mike and Adie? C’mon Bill. There’s no way. Okay fine, they’re closer now.” He sighs, moving closer to me in the bed we had been sharing for the past six or so months.

“But what did you expect would happen if Mike helped her out after what we did? Nothing’s going on. Britt’s probably jealous because Mike’s not fawning over the latest collection for her store.” He grunts, kinda pleased at himself with that dig at Brittany.
They never did get on much; he was too immature in her eyes, and she had a stick up her ass in his.

Adie and I were divorced and though I still loved her, it wasn’t in the way I used to. I had tried hard to salvage something between us because we had two beautiful boys and had spent the most part of our lives together, but now I was with Tre and things were great.

Britt had called because Mike had spent another evening with Adrienne and she was concerned. Even hinting at something, though she wouldn’t say it, I knew what she was thinking.
I listened to her drone on about how Mike was barely home and when he was, he was always talking about Joey and Jake or what Adrienne did and so on. She was near breaking point and she wanted to know what I thought.

In all honesty, I didn’t know what to think. Mike was my best friend and as a favour to me, Tre and Adrienne herself, he was there for her and my kids. Even though bridges were being rebuilt between Adrienne and I everyday, he was still there when we all needed him. Acting as the glue that held our little Green Day community together.

“That’s mean” I stifle a giggle, as Tre lifts the comforter slightly to re-adjust himself on my chest. “But Mike is spending more time then necessary over there. Even Joey thinks something’s up.”

“Yeah?” Tre says slowly “When did this shit kick off? I miss all the good stuff.” In mock hurt, he pouts and folds his arms across his chest and I gently pat his head.

“Yeah. He said something about them going to dinner and some shit about a fork. But there some kinda weird looks going on…--like they had a secret or something.” I sigh, placing the cordless phone in its cradle.

Joey and I were on good terms again. If there was one thing aside from hurting my family, that killed me, it was having my son hate me. But with time, we got through it and were getting closer again.
Jakob was amazing, though. He just took everything in his stride. He didn’t get that from me. That was Adie, right there. My mind wonders over all the shit I put her through; the stuff onstage, the things I said in interviews. She never once got pissed or acted out on it. She just moved on to the next thing. Now, was her next thing Mike?

“Uh huh. So a call from the one called Whatshername and a story about a fork from a pre-teen with an overactive imagination, means our best friend and your ex-wife are fucking with hats off? “ Tre lets out a big belly laugh and I push him off my chest.

“Shut up, asshole. Joey wouldn’t say shit like that without just cause. I know my kid.”
“I don’t doubt that, Bill.” He rubs his head in the spot I had touched it. “But short of asking them what’s up, what can you do about it?” He turns to face me.

He has a point. I mean, if there was something going on, what could I do about it? Being as it was me that pushed them together?
“Its not like you can stop them from having feelings about each other or hooking up. May I remind you of how we got together? Not exactly conventional, now, was it.”

I shudder at his words and I know he’s right. I dare not tell him that though, or he’ll dine on that thought for days.

“I know Adrienne and I know Mike. Neither of them would pull shit like this. Not…not after what we put them through. They’re not like that.” I reason.
But then again, what did I really know? I wasn’t there all the time. And I couldn’t get on my high horse about something that I had actually done. I may be a lot of things but I’m no hypocrite.

“Brittany’s just over-reacting and the fact she called you, meant she had nothing else to bitch about. Seriously, if it bothers you that much, go talk to them.”

“Hmm. It’s all bullshit. You’re right.” I let it drop for the moment until I knew what I was going to do about finding out what was really going on. As I push my hair out of my eyes, I turn to face Tre, who smiles softly and kisses my forehead.

“Yes, I am. Now, let’s pretend I’m Hans Solo and you’re Princess Leia.”

“Oh what?! Why do I always have to be the woman?” I whine as he laughs in my face.

“Okay fine. You can be Luke and I’ll be Darth Vader”

“But that’s just nasty! It’s incest!”

“Not in my world, Billie. Not in my world.”