Sequel: Starlight (book 3)

Sunlight (book 2)

The Beginning

I needed to know where Kyra was. An hour passed and she was still gone. I was nervous, I knew that the Dark Rogue's were gone. Right? I stood on my feet, eager to run at full speed yet again. Eamon looked up at me, confusion on his face.

"I'm just going to go look for Kyra. I'll be back." I said. He nodded. I looked at Nadir for a quick second. He had stopped screaming and thrashing, but he was still in pain. Horrible pain. Poor Nadir... I sighed, turned, and followed Kyra's scent.

Thankfully it was still fresh in the air. Air... it slapped at my face once I broke out into a run so fast no human would even see me. It was so exhilarating! The sound of the air swiping past me was all I heard, really. Well, all I focused on. There was still the sounds of the earth, little ants on the soil, a bird feeding its babies, you know, the usual. But the loud over powering sound of the air covered them all.

I followed Kyra’s trail for miles, wondering where she ran off to. I noticed that I was actually coming to the end of the woods. About another mile and it’d be gone. Yet, Kyra’s scent still floated in the rushing air so clearly. Where could she have gone? Why would she have run out of the forest and into other, larger, more populated towns? I had no idea…

Suddenly, a stranger scent entered my nostrils. One that I didn’t recognize, one that I didn’t like… I hissed involuntarily when I noticed it. I had no idea why… why would I hiss at a scent that I knew nothing about? Later, I discovered, it was pure instincts.

Kyra’s scent became so strong that I knew she must be close. I got my answer when she came into view. She was kneeling on the ground, feeling the Earth. Suddenly she took off again. I was taken by surprise, but I was faster! I caught up to her in a minute.

That stranger scent was still fresh in the air, it was actually overpowering Kyra’s scent! How was that possible? To my horror, Kyra suddenly twisted around and pounced. In that second, she released a growl, no snarl, no, roar so loud and threatening, I was beyond startled, shocked, I was terrified. But she pounced… at me! We were knocked off of our feet when she realized who she was attacking. Horror was in her eyes. A certain kind of horror.

“O my God, Moon I’m sorry! Surely you must smell that scent, right? (I nodded, staring at her, a little scared… I had never heard her growl like that) Well, you smelled just like that for a moment… I guess it was because it just surrounded you or whatever. But I am soo embarrassed! I’m so sorry!” She said, getting off of me, offering me a hand. I was still in shock. She sounded so… powerful!!

“W-who did you think I was…?” I managed to croak out. She looked at me, and then I knew whose scent this belonged to. This so strong, new, fresh scent.

“Really? This is him? This scent is only… like an hour old! And it’s just so strong!” I said in disbelief. This scent was as strong as fresh human blood poured onto the ground just a few minutes ago, only it wasn’t human blood. She nodded.

“I have him.” She hissed, a little evil smile on her face. I couldn’t help but laugh at it.

“Well, I’m not going to let you chase after him alone.” I protested, squaring my shoulders. I heard her teeth lock together.

“I think I should.” She said darkly. I rolled my eyes.

“I’m not going to kill him! I’m just going to be of… assistance! He must belong to a coven.” I pointed out. She frowned, considering this possibility.

“Please, just let me and Eamon come. I’d be too worried if I didn’t. And Eamon wouldn’t want us to go off for who knows how long.” I said, all my humor had left. She sighed and smiled kindly at me.

“I’m staying here, I don’t want to lose this scent.” She said. I sighed now.

This scent isn’t going anywhere!” I said, plugging my nose jokingly. She laughed.

“Yeah, alright. Let’s go.” She said, walking past me, beckoning me to come with her. I smiled, more than ready to face whatever laid ahead.

I glanced at the sky, and found myself staring at it. The sun had set. It was now replaced by stars…
♠ ♠ ♠
Alrighty. That's the last chapter! I hoped you liked it! (sorry again about how this one was more of a romance...) The next book to follow will be called 'Starlight'. It might take me a few days to update, like this one. Anyways, please tell me what you think! ^_^

Corrine