Sequel: Searching For a Soul

Demons and Dark Doors

Ceremonies

‘A very important ceremony. One that calls for 5 blood sacrifices. This ceremony is one of much embellishment and much planning. It took me years to find the perfect people. And then, only 3 weeks ago, I found your family. So happy, yet so unhappy. Perfection is hard to find, but you already know that don’t you, Chase? You were planning on letting your girlfriend go, weren’t you? She isn’t good enough for you anymore, isn’t that what you’ve been thinking?’

It was the hooded figure that was talking to me in that soothing yet terrifying voice.

‘Yeah, I was. But how do you know that?’

‘Oh. Chase. Humans are such simple creatures. It’s not at all a chore to figure what your inferior minds are contemplating. Anyway, it doesn’t matter. It’s all going to go away now. Don’t worry. You’ll be seeing your deceased brethren soon.’

As the last words washed over me, the thing took off its hood. The scream that had been welling up within me was finally liberated.

The scream died out none to quickly. My lungs filling up with air, I stared into the face of pure evil.

Unlike the arms, there was rotten flesh left on the visible skull. Snakes were weaving through where the eyes and nose used to be. A stench so horrible wafted into my nostrils and I leaned over to vomit.

Like I had noticed before, there were no legs protruding from the edge of the robe. I did see what looked like feet hanging in mid-air but I was busy emptying my stomach to pay much attention.

I righted myself and asked Death a question.