Look Me in the Eyes, and Promise Me Friendship

Now your stuffing me in your closet?

He reached over and delicately touched over the bumps and bruises on her face. He thought she was beautiful, even with bumps and bruises and cuts all over. He scooted closer. He was close enough to feel her breath on his skin. He draped an arm around her, trying to comfort her. She needed someone to just be there with her. So many things were going through his mind. He leaned in closer, and closer... and then closer. She was uncomfortable. He kissed her. WHAT ARE YOU DOING? It was a sympathetic kiss?... yeah, an 'I'm sorry that happened to you, hope things are going to be better' kiss. She held on for a second, but then quickly pulled away.

“Nick..” she gasped, shocked. She pulled away and turned around to face the wall. She was shaken up. Why did he do that? What scared her the most was that she was glad that he did that. She needed it. She knew at least someone cared.

“I'm sorry,” he apologized. Im so dead, he thought.

“Nicholas, just hold me. Okay?” she whispered a favor. She was scared. Still shaking a little. He pulled the blanket up over both of them, and then yet again, draped his arm over her. She was still facing the wall. He was facing the same way. He put his head over her shoulder and also touched his hand over hers, kind of linking their fingers together. This was something that she and Joe hadn't even done yet. His little brother beat him to it. Surprisingly they were somewhat relaxed. Aubrey stopped shaking.

Minutes later, they were asleep.

About twenty minutes later, Joe walked into the room, closing the door behind him.

“Dude, get off of her,” he slapped the sleeping Nick. He wasn't expecting it, so he jumped. “What are you doing laying with her anyway?” he whispered so she wouldn't hear.

“Joe, calm down... Nothing happened.” he explained, stretching the truth. “She needed someone, and I was the only one she could be with,” he added. “That's why I sent you a text.”

“What happened?” he asked as Nick got up off of the bed. He sat next to her. He saw her bruises. “Oh no...” he put his hands over his eyes. “Aubrey...” he whispered, rubbing her arm. She groaned. “Aubrey,” he repeated. She slowly turned over to face him.

“Joey...” she moaned, but with an excited tone in her voice. “I'm glad you're here,” she pulled him close to her with all of the might that she had left. Joe's eyes got watery. He had an idea of what happened.

“Aubrey, are you okay?” he whispered in her ear. He nibbled at her ear a little, and then kissed the side of her face. He HATED seeing her like this. He HATED it. Nick hopped up on his dresser.

“He's back,” was all she said. She was frightened. Joe got angry.

“You're not going back there, Aubrey. I wont let you,” he warned. She didn't know what to say. She couldn't disagree, but if she did, and went home, things could get worse. And if she agreed, things could still get worse.

“I cant just stay here. He might come looking for me. Wont your parent's question why i'm here?” she tried piecing things together.

“We just wont let anyone know you're here,” she wasn't expecting that. “Especially Frankie,” Nick's jaw dropped. Hiding a girl in the house... from their parents? It was a little too much to take in. “It's going to be a risk, but we will pull it off. He's not going to hurt you anymore,” she was a little uneasy about it, but she wanted a normal life. She was fed up with being pushed around, and getting beat for no reason at all.

She agreed. “Promise me i'll be safe?” she asked, and he answered with a tender kiss on her lips. Nick was quiet. Still trying to take in everything that he learned about Aubrey's situation. Joe gently wrapped his arms around Aubrey and deepened the kiss. They had forgotten that they were in Nick's bed.

“Eh Hem!” A sound came from Nick, still on top of his dresser. “If you're going to get into all of that Lovey Dovey kissy stuff, would you mind doing it in your OWN bed?” he hopped down from the dresser a little jealous, opening up the door. He motioned for them to get out. How nice.

Joe glared at Nick, but decided to obey his little brother anyway. He wanted some privacy with Aubrey. He scooted off of the bed, picked up Aubrey, and carried her bridal style.

“Thank you for taking care of my Cinderella... my princess. My pride and joy, my diamond,” Joe thanked Nick as he walked out the door, and continued as they walked down the hall. She mouthed 'thank you' to Nick before they walked out of the door.

“My sweetheart, my baby, my angel,” he kept going. Aubrey laughed, and then stopped him with a kiss as Nick's door closed behind them. “My... Aubrey,” he concluded his list. Aubrey smiled at him, and kissed the tip of his nose. Joe stopped at his door, and turned sideways so he could get Aubrey in.

“Yeah Joe. Carry me over the threshold. Its good luck,” she joked, as if they were “married”.

He pushed the door shut with his foot and laid Aubrey down, hovering over her. “Someday,” he whispered and kissed her gingerly, not wanting to hurt her.

“What was that supposed to mean?” she wondered.

“Someday,” he repeated and smirked. Aubrey shrugged it off.

“Joe!” he heard coming from downstairs, “Joe are you here?” It was his mother. The door slammed.

“Oh no!” Joe and Aubrey said at once. “What are we going to do?” Aubrey whispered. She was scared. Her heart was pumping faster then normal.

“Um. Shiz... ehhh...” he had no idea. “The closet!” he whispered loudly. He picked her up and set her down on a pile of pillows in his closet.

"So, now you're stuffing me in your closet?" Aubrey joked, plugging her nose. “It stinks in here,” she laughed.

"Ree, just be quiet for a little while okay,” he bent over and gave her a deep kiss, that was almost tempting to not pull away from. He pulled back, and she leaned forward still attached to his lips. She didn't want to pull away, but did anyway. It was something for them both to think about for a little while. He closed the closet doors and as soon as he turned around his mother was at the door.

“Joseph?” she knocked and opened the door. “There you are,” she said relieved. “Why did you run out on us so fast?” she asked concerned. “Is something wrong sweetheart?” she rubbed his upper arms like a concerned mother would.

“No, everything is okay. I just remembered that I wanted to clean my room, and I wanted to get to it before I didn't feel like it anymore,” he lied, straightening up a little bit.

“You are one strange boy Joseph Adam, but that's what makes me love you so much,” she pinched his cheeks playfully, chuckling. She kissed his forehead, and walked out of the door. He sighed deeply, and wiped the pretend sweat off of his head. Closing the door and locking it was a big priority right now, so that's exactly what he did.

He pulled out his laptop, pressing play on his i-tunes play list. He turned it up loud enough to drown out any talking between him and Aubrey from anyone outside of the room. He opened one of his closet doors. The one closest to Aubrey.