Look Me in the Eyes, and Promise Me Friendship

Welcome to the family.

“Your father was in the house,” Aubrey started to cry, pretending like she was upset about it. She pulled it off. Mrs. Jonas rubbed her back comforting her. “He didn't make it. He was burned to death,” she tried to put it as simple as possible. Aubrey was really relieved. She didn't have to worry about her father beating her anymore, or having to stay away from her one true love. She looked over at Joe, who still seemed worried about the whole situation.

“You can stay here with us if you would like. Mr. Jonas and I talked, and we would be glad to accept you into this family. We know that you have it pretty hard right now, and we hope that you could accept our offer. We love you like one of our own children, and we would love for you to be here with us,” she finished. Aubrey really appreciated it. Its all that she could ask for. A loving family.

“It would mean the world to me,” she wiped away her fake tears. It was loud from the big fire trucks. Mrs. Jonas got up, and pulled her into a hug, “Thank you so much." Everyone walked up and Mrs. Jonas told them the news.

“Aubrey is going to be living with us from now on,” she told them. You could see Joe's eyes light up.

They understood that there would have to be some legal papers that they would have to fill out, but they didn't care. Anything for Aubrey.

“Have a good day folks,” the firefighters walked away, tipping their hats. They drove away in the big red noisy fire trucks, and it got a little quieter.

The detectives pulled Aubrey away for some questioning, but the boys stood there to talk to their parents about all of this.

“She's going to be okay,” Joe said, absolutely sure. “Are you sure about this though, mom, dad?” he asked trying to hide his excitement. He didn't have to worry about Aubrey anymore, and now he would be closer to her then ever.

“Positive,” his father answered with a smile, tears in his eyes. “Sure, there are already 6 of us, but we can make room for one more.”

Aubrey was being questioned by the detectives, and she became very uncomfortable, very fast.

“Were you in the house when this started?” the first guy asked quickly. She shook her head no. “Where were you?” she had to be honest.

“I was next door all night, and all morning,” she tried to reply not sounding nervous.

“Why were you there?” the second guy asked right away after her last answer.

“They are my best friends, and Joe there is my boyfriend,” she pointed at Joe, trying to not be too obvious.

“Were there problems in the home?” the first guy asked, noticing all of her cuts and bruises. This was getting a little too personal. She had to be truthful though. Her dad was dead. Who was going to come back and hurt her for telling someone?

“Yes,” she answered, trying not to talk too much. She feared that tears would be finding their way out sometime soon.

The detectives awaited an explanation, but since Aubrey didn't offer right away, they asked, “like what?”

“He beat me. Wouldn't let me eat. Wouldn't let me have friends. There were some days that I thought he was going to kill me,” she said, and then it started. She couldn't control herself. The time that she tells someone who can help, its no use anymore. Her father is dead. She is safe. She just cried.

“Do you have any idea why he would have started this fire, and why he would have stepped into it after he did?” The first guy asked, almost already knowing the answer.

“He was evil. I guess he felt bad about everything. He was probably drunk too. I can almost guarantee that,” she replied, and the detectives wrote down information on their notebooks.

“Okay Mrs. Adele, I know that the Jonas' offered for you to stay with them, but before anything is decided, considering that you are only 17, your relatives are the first ones that you would go to in a situation like this. Is there anyone that you could live with?” they asked her. She thought about it. No. She had no one.

“No one. My mom is dead, and I have no other living relatives,” she replied truthfully. “I only have the Jonas'”

It was set. She had a new home. She was going to live with the Jonas'.

The detectives had everything that they wanted, and then they led her back to her new family.

She automatically attached herself to Joe. She grabbed him into a hug, and cried into his chest. Everyone had mixed feelings about everything. They felt so bad for Aubrey, but they knew that they could offer her an amazing family and life.

“Don't cry my love. You should be happy,” he whispered softly into her ear. No one else could hear what he said.

“I am,” she said out loud. “I am,” she was crying because she was really happy. Happier then she had ever been before in her life. I guess this means that I start all over, she thought to herself. It was a good feeling that she had.

“I guess things are all settled,” one of the detectives said, getting teary eyed himself. “We will have someone come to clean up that mess, and we will have someone send you guys those papers,” they nodded at everyone goodbye, and they walked away.

“Welcome to the family sweetheart,” Kevin said, and rubbed her back.