Welcome to My Life

Chapter I

"Hello, Earth to Natalie! Are you even listening to me?" My overly perky best friend, Macy asked while were eating our Eww-ish turkey sandwiches served at the cafeteria. Yes, this is Grovehigh Higschool, the land of Growling Hungry Lions. Weird huh? It is. But you don't have any idea how the students are acting. Waaaay over weird.

You see, Grovehigh. It looks like a normal school. Yeah know, the tall building, the trees, the cliques blah blah blah. But you see, Grovehigh is different. People here are different. Teeners are basically enrolled at Grovehigh to stimulate their riches, social standing and yes, confidence. The academics? Well, let's just say that that is not the number one priority. Grovehigh never won anything. Except, the Cheering Faceoff and Basketball Olympics. But the academics and other grade related stuff? Zero.

I'm sure your probably wondering why I don't have the thought to listen to my best friend while she is ranting how the turkey sandwich sucked. It's not that I'm not a good listener. It's just that my mind is somewhere else. Wanna know what that "somewhere" else is? Well, I'm thinking about my boyfriend, Andrew. I'm thinking about our relationship. Recently, I found myself not inlove with him anymore. There's no magic. There's no connection. Were only dating for 4 months and I realized that were not meant for each other.

Woah wait. Rewind. Let me introduce myself first. I'm sorry, I almost forgot.

My name's Natalie Anderson and I'm 17 years old. A Highschool Senior. I'm a member of the School Paper, the Growling Lions as the Photographer slash Head Artist. What can I say? I have a knack in Arts! I have 2 siblings. My older brother Patrick whose now studying at Princeton so he's basically not at home all the time, only during vacation and a little sister Addie whom I swear is a totally spoiled brat. My parents are both working. My Mom as a psychoanalayst so that means I am psychology aware of who I am and my Dad who is a Marine Biologist. Oh yeah, weird family huh? So there. And oh, I already mentioned that I'm dating someone. Andrew Flemming. He's a senior and is the Head Editor of the school paper. So if I broke up with him sometime, the Paper Room will always be awkward.

"Oh, sorry Mace. So what was that again?" I asked her, groping my saliva. Don't I just love this Turkey sandwich? Damn it.

"Yeah right, Nat! What's wrong with you? You seem a little spaced out!" she asked me.

"No, nothing's wrong. This turkey's just bugging me out." I shrugged. Hopefully, I don't look lying.

"Yeah right. C'mon what's the fuzz? Tell me!" she said, there she is. Nagging me again.

"Okay, okay! I'm gonna tell you later. Miss Calvin asked me to go to the Principal's office after eating my lunch." I said, grabbing my bag.

"What for? You didn't do anything did you?" Macy intervened.

"Of course not. I think she needs to ask me something. Well, gotta bounce! See ya later!" I said, making my way to the Principal's office.

The school hallway is such a jungle. Many people lurking. Different cliques piling up at the lockers. Sometimes I just wish that I am homeschooled. I made my way to the office as fast as I could but...

"But of course. Anderson." Sandra Davis, the blonde head cheerwhore I mean cheerleader trapped me again. Sandra hates me. The reason? Well, Sandra kinda went out with my brother Patrick and since he can't get over my brother, she asked me to help her to my brother to get back but I didn't do anything about it. What's the fuzz? I don't like her to be with my brother. She's just soooo--Barbie. While my brother, Isn't Ken.

"What now, Sandra?" I glared at her.

"Eww, was that the turkey that stinks? or your breath? Oh lemme check. Your breath!" She said, as she and her skanks laughed.

"Yeah yeah. My breath stinks. Now what? My brother still doesn't want you." I said, rolling my eyes. Feel my wrath, Barbie.

"Doesn't want me? Oh. Why did he went out with me for a month?" she snapped back, tossing her blonde hair.

"Wanna know the truth? Well, that time, he's actually conducting a study regarding on how animals are interacting with humans" I told her, walking out.

She's just full of herself. I'm just glad she's not going out with my brother anymore and my brother's far away from Grovehigh. When they were dating, I always find them making out at the foyer and it reeks. Ewww. I managed to knock at the Principal's office wooden door. Miss Calvin opened the door with a huge grin plastered on her red passionate lips.

I was so surprised to see alot of big people at my school. Mrs. Waters the principal, Mr. White the academic coordinator, Mrs Salvatierre the prefect of discipline and Mr. Russo, the owner of Grovehigh. They weren't gonna expel me right?

I guess not because if they will, why do they have this weird huge grin on their faces? it's like they just saw a huge bar of gold hanging around the corner. Miss Calvin decided to break the ice since this is getting weirder than weird.

"So, this is my best prospect. Miss Anderson. I think she's best for it." Miss Calvin declared.

What the hell is she talking about? Hello!!

"You think she can handle it?" Mr. Russo asked. What the hell is wrong with his face? Is it always THAT serious?

"I think she can. She's been a good student ever since." Mrs. Salvatierre intervened.

O-kay. This is getting waaaaaaaaaay strange.

"Umm, excuse me? I don't mean to be rude or anything but do you mind you could tell me what's going on? It's really yeah know, getting strange." I asked carefully. I cannot handle it already!

"Oh we're sorry Miss Anderson. We just wanted to make sure but since you're already here and heard our conversation, we might as well tell you what the school needs from you." Mr. Russo explained.

"You won't expel me, would you?" I asked helplessly.

"Of course not! Miss Anderson, you've been quite a good student of Grovehigh that's why we chose you to handle a special assignment!” Mrs. Waters said, beaming.

“Special Assignment? God. Has anyone told you that I’m not doing any of my assignments?” I demanded.

Oops. That was way overboard.

“What I mean is, I’m not really fond of doing assignments…” I clarified. Sheesh.

“We understand Natalie. But this is different. Way different than any school work or anything. We want you to do something for us, for someone, for the school.” Mrs. Waters explained softly.

Okay, this is officially crazy.

“What? Okay. What do you want me do?” I asked impatiently.

“Let me get this straight, Miss Anderson. We chose you among the 700 students of Grovehigh because we thought that your different and independent and strong enough to handle responsibilities. We conducted a background check about you and you came from a pretty decent family. You’re a very mature and strong girl that’s why we really think that you can handle what we would like you to do.” Mr. Russo explained. God, does he really sound THAT serious? God.

What? I don’t get any of this. What does the school want me to do and why me? This is really lame and psycho. I am so lost.

“Why don’t we just tell her what’s going on so that she won’t end up crunching numbers!” Mr. White exclaimed.

“Okay. Miss Anderson. We want you to share a secret. We want you to do a special task for us. We have a foreign exchange student…Well, not really a foreign exchange student. He’s from Los Angeles and his family decided to put him on a regular school for a while since he was homeschooled since the 5th grade. His family wants him to at least get to experience the High School life that he never experienced before. Since he is going to be his last year in High School, he wants it to be memorable that’s why he was enrolled into a Grovehigh Secret Protection Program.” Mrs. Waters elucidated. I can feel that she is really loss of words but who the hell cares, this is soooo crazy.

“I guess you might be wondering why he is enrolled in such a program like that. Well, have you been listening to some mainstream music lately, Miss Anderson?” Mr. Russo asked.

Okay that was way unconnected. 5 seconds ago they were telling me about some serious protection program stuff and now he’s asking me what music I’ve been up to! This is one crazy school owner!

“Oh umm. I’m not really into mainstream. I’m more into underground bands yeah know.” I responded boringly.

“So you haven’t heard of The Jonas Brothers before?” Mr. Russo asked fiercely.

The Jonas Brothers. What the hell. The band, oh are they a band? No. The bunch of singers who I fell pity to because they can’t get more privacy and every second of their life is made up of screaming girls and camera flashes. Who haven’t heard of them? My bratty little sister loves them and would kill for an innocent cat for them. But I don’t care. I don’t really like their music. Hate to break it to yeah but I think it sucks. I mean, they are into this cheesy love stuff and I feel like when I try to listen for 5 seconds, I would be suffocated into an unbearable Lovefest. Hah. I don’t give a crap on them.

“I heard 'em but I don’t really like them.” I answered honestly.

Wait, what is the mere connection of The Jonas Brothers in here? Trust me, I need my Mom to get hold of this man to the Psycho ward immediately.

“Well, in that case. I think she’s really suitable for the special task. Good job, Miss Calvin. Now we don’t have to deal with a fan girl scheme.” Mr. White said.

“Can’t you just cut the commercial and get to the point?” I exclaimed impatiently. I know that’s kinda rude but the suspense is driving me crazy. This one of the main reasons why I loathe this school, it’s just plain weird.

The board noticed the sudden change of my tone and stared at me.

“I’m sorry for the harsh tone, but please tell me what this is all about!” I demanded anxiously.

“Sorry Miss Anderson. It’s difficult for us to explain what is going to happen. This will amend to a lot of adjustments for the school and huge adapting for you.” Miss Calvin explained carefully.

“Okay Miss Anderson. We’re sorry for making you feel like a piece of meat. But Joseph Jonas who happen to belong to this Jonas Brothers band decided to enroll to our school and he needs a special guide or let me put it this way, a special friend to guide him in the school, the academe and the peers. Let’s face it. Grovehigh is a very Highschool-ish school. Cliques, fights bombarding all over. And without a special guide, he will scatter. He cannot manage this himself because he is a well known celebrity and he is not familiar with a real school. Remember, he is forever homeschooled.” Mrs. Salvatierre explained in a harsh but patient tone.

Joseph Jonas? Celebrity? Guide? Special friend? Scatter? This is way too insane for me to handle. They want me to handle someone else’s life while I, couldn’t even handle myself that much! I mean, I don’t even know how to break up with someone for Pete’s sake!

“I’m sorry. What?” was all I managed to say.

Oops. My words aren’t really good to hear after her long speech. Oh my God. I’m ready for Detention.

I closed my eyes, getting ready for the everlasting self speech of Mrs. Salvatierre that I only wasted her 2 minute groping saliva explaining and all she gets is a What. But as I opened my eyes, I am so surprised to the board grinning like they just saw a monkey eating a banana. I told you, even people here are weird.

“Its okay, Natalie. We don’t expect you to absorb everything.” Miss Calvin assured.

“Miss Calvin, I heard that she’s pretty close to Diana. Please call her and let her explain everything to Miss Anderson.” Mr. Waters asked her.

Miss Diana Stokes. My favorite mentor and English teacher of all time, she’s always there to help me, guide me and teach me all the way. She’s like my second mother already. Whenever my Mom’s busy, she’s always there to lead me. I’ve known her since kindergarten. Apparently, she was my teacher when I was kinder then she left and transferred to Grovehigh to teach English Literature then she became my teacher last year then we became close again. I love her and I’m sure she loves me as well. I know a lot about her and she knows a lot about me as well. We have this sudden friendship that no one can get and buy. Sometimes I wonder if Macy is really my best friend because she sounds more like it.

Minutes later, I heard Miss Stokes entering the office with her worried look on her face. Maybe she thought I did something wrong and she is the one whose just there to protect me. But when Mr. Russo and the rest of the board talked to her for about 10 minutes I think, it’s kinda long. Even Miss Stokes can’t get the situation that easy, she approached me with this huge smile plastered on her face like the grin that the board is giving me awhile ago.

“Natalie, can we talk?” she asked.

And those words is all I want to hear to make this confusion go away.

I am so surprised when I found myself at Miss Stokes’ Civic car, and asking me to fasten my seatbelt. I am so dazed by the situation that I only got into my senses when she started the engine.

“You do realize that I still have classes right?” I asked her. I don’t want to sound rude or anything but that’s just the way I speak to her. Very comfortable, indeed.

“I know, I’m quite aware of that.” She remarked.
“So, this isn’t skipping classes’ right? I mean I’m with a school personnel right?” I asked her wincing.

“Natalie, it is their suggestion to take you out for a while and explain to you everything so don’t you worry.” She told me smiling.

“Okay, I just wanna make sure. I mean, I can’t afford to make amends.” I told her.

“I know.” She quipped.

“Where exactly are we going? I swear, I’m gonna flip like a roller coaster if you don’t tell me.” I declared honestly. I mean, I cannot take this confusion and weirdness anymore. I need someone to explain to me everything.

Suddenly, Miss Stokes pulled over and I realized that were already at our destination. Gilbey’s. It is a laid back café where a bunch of old people spend their lunch and be all bubbly and all that. My family used to eat here if my Mom doesn’t feel like cooking.

We went out at the car with an awkward silence and went to one of the tables. Miss Stokes decided to order Watermelon shakes.

Miss Stokes stared at me with a huge grin plastered on her face. What? She suddenly turned into a Mongrel too. What is happening to the world?

“Can you please tell me what’s going on?” I pleaded.

She grinned. What the hell. Is there really something wrong with my friggin face? Damnit!

“So they asked me to explain to you everything and to know your decision.” She said gently as she get a hold of the Watermelon shake.

“I don’t even know what the hell is happening!” I almost shouted.
♠ ♠ ♠
Stuck in my head, now I decided to write it.
I know it's lame, feel free to comment.
Tell me that it's weird. =)