Get Pretty

The one and only.

Get Pretty: A Guide To The Perfect Marriage.

So we all know that the whole 'Honeymoon' period is infact a real concept, but is there a happy marriage beyond those few weeks that will determine a lifetime?

No. A simple answer am I right?

But who says it's impossible? This article by me, your favourite relationships columnist, will make that honeymoon period last a life time.

1. Passion. Yes it may seem old fashioned, but it‘s what keeps that spark in your marriage shining, make each other feel special.


I wrapped my silky chestnut brown hair in between my fingers as I read the words staring at me through my laptop, it looks about right. I was rested on my comfortable sofa, with my long legs stretched across the three large cushions. My hazel eyes rolled to view the time upon the clock nailed on the wall. 10:15 and he still wasn't home yet. I looked back to the word document to give myself some inspiration for the godforsaken article that was due in that following Friday. The door slammed and I heard some heavy foot steps against the wooden floor.

"Babe?" I yelled hoping that he would even acknowledge that I was home.

"Millie? You still awake sweetie?" He asked walking in. I nodded as I felt his warm lips against my neck.

"Why are you home so late?" I asked not taking my eyes from the laptop screen.

"Well, I had a load of drum tracks to record," I lifted my neck up to look into his eyes, the hair around his face clung to his face from the sweat and his previously rosy cheeks were regaining their normal colour. I furrowed my eyebrows and looked back to the screen, hoping that the words would just pop up at me.
"What was that look for?" he asked in confusion, my gaze was glued to the computer screen as I shrugged my shoulders. I read those same words over and over again but was interrupted by the grisly crackling of my husband's kneecaps as he bent down to my level.
"Get Pretty: A guide to the perfect marriage," he said over my shoulder, startling me slightly, "When's that due in?" he asked as his warm breath danced across my neck.

"Friday."

"Well, you've got time," he started, he placed his hand gently against the top of the screen , "How about we have some alone time without our work getting in the way?" he asked leaning over to me, I grinned and placed my hand on top of his, pushing the screen down.

"Meet you upstairs in 5," I winked. With that, he ran up the stairs faster than you could say "Beetlejuice". I unplugged the cable from the back of my laptop, wrapping it up and placing it in the bag alongside my precious laptop. I slung the dry fabric against my shoulder and made my way into the kitchen, grabbing a bottle of red wine from the fridge and a couple of glasses. I trudged up the staircase being careful not to fall over my own feet and breaking everything in the process.
"Jimmy," I said playfully. There was no reply, I rolled my eyes as I carried on balancing 4 very breakable objects on my body, "Jimmy," I repeated, "I'm coming in now!" I kicked the door open with my foot to find that the room was pitch black.
“Hello?” I sighed. I flicked the light switch on and saw my husband passed out on the bed laying on his stomach.
“Maybe tomorrow then,” I sighed. I placed everything on the bedside table and got into bed next to him.

2. Romantic gestures are just as important. Remember, just because you’ve said those vows, you’ve got the paperwork and those rings are permanently on your fingers, it does not mean that those tiny gestures are forgotten.

I sat at the breakfast table, my eyes tore away from my newspaper. This morning I had woke up to an empty bed. Jimmy had left without even saying a word, no note no nothing. I heard the door shut lightly in the distance, “Oh, you’re awake, I was gonna surprise you,” Jimmy frowned lowering his head.
“It’s half ten, since when do I sleep in when there’s a column due?” I sounded more bitchy and sarcastic then I intended.
“Sorry, but I wanted to give you these,” he held out a bunch of-oh no. I cautiously stuck my hand out and graciously accepted the beautiful tulips that he had so kindly bought me, “They smell good too,” he smiled. I cracked a small smile and placed them as far away from my nose as possible, slightly taking in the scent.

“They do,” I let out a small wheeze. Jimmy cocked his eyebrow.

“Babe, are you okay? You look kind of flushed,” he examined.

“I feel great, let me just go find a vase for these,” I told him plastering on a smile. I got up off of my chair and walked into the office, where we kept a few vases many people had bought us when we moved in together. Not to mention it was the room with one of the biggest windows. I slammed the door shut throwing the flowers across the room as far away from me as possible. I began to get even more breathless by the minute, I looked at my arms to see my soft skin turn into raised blotches of red, I became more and more eager to scratch them. I gazed into the large mirror and saw my face was flushed with buckets of sweat trickling down. My chest began to crush and I could feel my throat closing in.

“Babe!” Jimmy stormed in.

“Jimmy, I think I need to go to the hospital,” I wheezed before collapsing into his arms.

3. By all means, laugh it off. If you’re having dinner at that new fancy restaurant and he spills red whine all over your $500 dress, just giggle and tell him “it’s okay”, if you’ve just had a romantic evening in and you’re snoring like a grizzly bear when you get to sleep, when he tells you, see his side of it-his stunning girlfriend, who to him is absolutely perfect, sounding like something out of the exorcist. Look on the Brightside.

“It’s not funny!” I sulked. Jimmy was laying on the hospital bed with his arm wrapped around me.

“Yes it is,” he laughed, “It’s a double whammy,” his laughter quietened.

“Asses and needles do not go together!” I pouted making him laugh again, “Come on, it’s not funny! It hurts too.”

“Aww, you want me to rub it better?” I slowly turned my head and raised an eyebrow.

“Mrs.Sullivan, you‘re free to go,” The doctor came in checking my chart, “Just remember, no more tulips,” he joked.

“Blame him,” I pointed at my wonderful husband.

“You didn’t know your own wife was extremely allergic to tulips?” he joked.

“Well I did, but I don’t know what they look like,” he replied sounding embarrassed.
“How the hell could you not know what tulips look like?” I asked, anger seeped through my voice. A strong awkward silence over took us.

“I’ll leave you to get dressed,” The doctor nodded before walking out of the room.

“Here, let me help,” Jimmy offered helping me out of the hospital bed.

“I think you’ve helped enough, don’t you?” I swatted him away, struggling to get out of bed.

“Fine, I’ll wait outside,” he told me.

“I’ll just see you at home, like I’ve said, you’ve done enough,” I said emotionlessly sorting through my clothes, I didn’t see his face, I just heard the door slam.

4. Just remember someone always has to apologize. If you know you’re the one that started it, step up and be the bigger person. And guys-running away with your friends after an argument does not make it go away.

I finally got home, after one painful hour of waiting for a cab. The smell of macaroni cheese flowed through my nose, I walked to the dining room to see the table set out-candles, champagne the works, and sitting at the end, sipping his corona was Jimmy, “Millie, I’m sorry,” he frowned. I smiled softly and sat down on the chair carefully.

“I can’t believe you made my favourite,” I smiled leaning over and giving him a passionate kiss.

“I did say I’m sorry,” he told me as I filled my plate up.

“Maybe you should be sorry much more often,” I joked eating a bite of macaroni.

The laughing and joking made me feel good about this marriage. More than good, actually, it made me feel great! Just like it used to be. Jimmy and I were always the couple everybody wanted to be like. We were comfortable around each other and when we had arguments, they would pass in seconds. We had each other and that was fine by me.

I laughed as Jimmy reminisced about the time where I pulled some girls hair extensions out because she winked at him, “I’ve never felt so loved,” he gushed.

“Oh shut up!” I giggled taking a sip of my champagne. The laughter died down as Jimmy’s phone rang in his pocket sending out “My Ass Is On Fire” by Mr. Bungle.

“Ah, what a coincidence,” Jimmy joked winking at me, I slapped him on the arm playfully before he answered, “Hello?” his smile suddenly faded, “well I can’t, Milly just got out of hospital, no it’s a long story but-” he turned to me with the saddest look on his face, “I’ll see what I can do, bye,” he flipped his phone down and placed it back in his pocket, “That was Zacky-”

“Let me guess, drum tracks right?” I knew I was right.

“I’m sorry honey, one of the songs got deleted and we have to do it all over again, I’ll come back asap, I promise,” I twisted the fork around on my plate, I could feel tears burning my eyes, but I fought my hardest to stop them from escaping.

“You’re not gonna be home until late then,” he shook his head.

“I’ll try my hardest to get home as early as I can okay?” He held my hand.

“I need to get to bed anyway, It’s been a really long day,” I sighed. He forced a smile on his face.

“I love you,” he kissed me, I didn’t say a word, I simply just smiled.

I didn’t have anything to say.

5. Yeah, I know I said that running to your friends after an argument with your partner is not a good idea, but on the other hand, those rare nights apart make you both appreciate each other a whole lot more.

I was officially all cried out. I had made my decision and I was sticking to it.

“Millie, I’m home!” I heard Jimmy’s voice. I wiped the tears that were left on my cheeks and continued packing, I heard his footsteps running up the stairs, “Millie, I’m,” He paused as his eyes landed on my suitcase, “What are you doing?” He asked, his voice was slightly shaking.

“I’m going away for a while,” I sighed.

“Where?” The shake in his voice had gotten worse.

“Does it matter?” I asked monotonously.

“Please? Tell me,” he sat on the foot of the bed where we could see each other perfectly.

“I don’t know, probably my with my sister in LA,” I continued packing, “I’ll come home when I think it’s best.”

“When you think it’s best? What’s that supposed to mean?” he asked putting his head in his hands and scratching the back of his head, it was always a nervous habit of his, “You want a divorce don’t you?”

“No,” I replied quickly, divorce wasn’t an option, “I need a break from us. I need a break from you,” I sighed.

“Why are you doing this to me?” he asked fighting back tears.

“Because, you need time with your other lover and I need time with mine,” I explained.

“What?”

“Our jobs. You love music, I love writing, we’re just keeping each other away from them,” I explained zipping up the suitcase.

“That’s all?” he said sarcastically.

“No,” I took a deep breath, “We should have never gotten married, our relationships gone to shit,” I could physically feel my heart break. I hate upsetting anyone. Imagine how I felt upsetting the love of my life.

“We can work it out right?” he asked hopefully, “Milly?” He grabbed my hand, I could feel it shaking.

“Goodbye Jimmy,” I whispered. I gave him a soft kiss on his lips. I grabbed my suitcase and walked out without looking back, I could just about hear the faint sobs coming out of the bedroom.

“Amelia, fantastic piece!” My editor, Pamela praised.

“Thank you,” I smiled. A weeks past since I left Jimmy, apparently for the better. What a lie, I felt like a wreck; my hair has lost it’s natural volume, I haven’t touched food and all I do when I finish work is cry and sit in Lacey‘s guest room in the dark. It’s a sham. How can I tell people how to make a relationship work when I can’t even handle my own.

“So Tuesday we’re having the briefing but do you have any ideas for the next issue?” She asked leaning back on her office chair.

“Not from the top of my head,” I shrugged.

“Do you take suggestions?” I nodded my head, “How about a segment on coping with divorce.”

“I’ll work on that it sounds good,” my heart shattered. I fought back the tears yet again, “Well thank you,” I stood from the chair. I just want to go to bed right now.

“Lacey!” I yelled as I threw my keys on the kitchen work top. She wandered towards me slowly.

“You’ll thank me,” her brown eyes glistened and she pointed to the living room. I saw a tall figure sitting with it’s back to me. I slowly walked over to see Jimmy-his eyes were bloodshot and he was still wearing the same clothes as he was the night I left him.

“Hey,” I cracked a smile.

“Hi,” he whispered. I sat on the sofa, grabbed Jimmy’s arm and snaked it around my shoulder.

“I’m sorry,” I smiled giving him a passionate kiss.

“Me too,” He smiled returning it.

And remember readers, marriage is a commitment, it gives you obstacles to over come. Ignoring it is never the answer.

By: Amelia Sullivan.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wrote this one a while ago
I decided to edit it since my glandular fever's acting up and I feel so horrible :/
Comments would be appreciated