See Jack Run

Chapter 15

"Jaqueline, now that your anger is out, can you please answer my questions?"
"I'm ready now."
However, as they left to go into the other room, Jack longingly stroked the keys of the piano. But she went in without argument or struggle.
"Jaqueline, why are you defending him?"
"I want him to love me."
The defeat in her eyes was the kind that made you twist in discomfort. It was a look that said that you had tried and failed to help. Without looking up, and without crying, she spoke again.
"Do you think he'll ever love me?"
"Do you want the truth?"
"Lies aren't comforting anymore."
"No, Jaqueline, I don't think so."
Although that was the answer she was expecting, it wasn't the one she wanted to hear.
"Okay."
You could have heard a pin drop for what could have been an hour or a minute. Time meant nothing to Jack now. Her memories tortured all the time, especially here.
"Jaqueline?"
"Yeah?"
"Are you ready to continue?"
"Yeah."
"If your brother pleaded insane, which he can do, would you testify and say that you thought he was insane?"
"Yeah, if it keeps him out of jail."
"He'd probably have to go to a mental hospital."
"Would they be nice to him?"
"They'd keep him drugged, and they'd probably keep a watch on him to make sure he didn't hurt himself or anybody else."
"Oh."
Jack sighed.
"So it's that or jail."
"Jaqueline, he made his choice."
"But........."
"Look at today's date."
She looked at the calendar on the desk. September 10. Mikey's birthday.
"He's turning eighteen today."
"They're going to start formally chaging him today."
Jack's face disappeared to the sanctuary of her hands. When it appeared again, her scars were bleeding slightly.
Handing her some tissues, for the blood and the tears that he knew would come, the pyscologist watched her.
"He wouldn't care......", her voice trembled,"he..wouldn't...care..if..I...was raped in an alley...but he's my...he's my...he's my brother."
No tears, just shaking and a little bit of blood.
"Jaqueline, I think we should take a short break. You can go to the lobby when you're ready."
"Okay."
She wiped her face off several times, and went out. Except for a short boy with green hair, it was empty.
She sat down and wondered what the pyscologist doing. But most of all, she wondered when everything could be over, and she would be allowed to forget all the sadness.