See Jack Run

Chapter 20

Jack woke slowly. Checking the time, she groaned inwardly when she saw that it was one o'clock in the morning. It was Friday night, but it was still annoying.
"Why are you awake?" She heard Mikey ask next to her.
"I just woke up. What about you?"
"I'm waiting."
"For what?"
"I want Daddy to come back." Mikey said with a sigh.
"Mommy said that he wasn't." It hurt Jack to say that.
"Mommy's said that before."
Sighing again, Mikey sat up in bed. Then he got up and walked over to Jack.
He marveled at how smart she was, even though she was only four. He didn't think like that when he was four.
"Come on, Jack." He took her hand.
"Where are we going?"
"We're gonna wait for Daddy together. We're gonna get Gerard, too."
"I don't think Daddy's coming back. He got the big bag this time. And Mommy cries everytime Mr. Mailman comes."
"Please?"
It was Jack's turn to sigh, but she didn't let go of his hand.
They walked down the hall. When they reached Gerard's room, they stopped.
The darkness of the night made it impossible to tell what Mikey was thinking, at least guessing by the expression on his face. Finally, Mikey opened the door and they both stepped in.
Jack quietly walked over to the bed and gently shook Gerard's shoulders.
Even in the dark, Jack could Mikey was shaking his head. Instead, Mikey creeped up at the foot of the bed and tickled Gerard's feet.
He popped awake.
"I'm up, I'm up!"
After peering off into the blacknes in a disoriented manner, he finally assessed the situation.
"Mikey, Jackie, what are you doing? What time is it?"
"It's early. We're waiting for Daddy. We wanted you to wait with us."
Gerard flopped back on the pillows.
"Mom said that Dad's not coming back. She said this time, forever."
Jack couldn't help but feel that this argument was never going to be won. Mikey truly wanted the whole family to be together, and that required a dad.
"Well, you're up. We might as well do something." Jack piped up.
She felt bad for Mikey. It seemed that everybody except for him realized that Daddy was gone for good, so she decided to argue for him.
She could tell Gerard rolled his eyes.
"Fine. What shall we do?"
"I don't know."
"We'll spend the rest of the night sitting here and thinking about what we should do." Gerard scoffed. "I wanna sleep."
"No!" Mikey said suddenly, and they both turned their heads at him. "Please. I just want to wait."
A deaf person could have heard the tears in his voice. And so, they waited.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"Damn." Mikey whispered. He had just gotten new glasses, and they were very uncomfortable. They hurt his eyes, the bridge of his nose, everything.
"Oh come on, Mikey, it can't be that bad." Mom said.
"Mom, this sucks!"
Mikey was at an age where the self esteem begins to plummet: age thirteen.
He had always hated glasses before, but these new frames just...sucked!
"Will you please stop complaining? They're good glasses. You know how I know they were good? Because they were 200 dollars!" Mom snapped.
That shut Mikey up automatically.
When he and mom got home, he saw Jack staring at his glasses.
"What are you looking at? You're not too hot, either."
She rolled her eyes.
"Come here." He whispered threateningly.
"Sorry." She whispered back.
"Thought so." His tone was triumphant.
Later, up in the room, he grabbed her wrist and twisted it.
"You think it's funny that I look like a freak?"
"No!"
"You think it's funny that soon you're gonna be writing like a freak?"
"No! I'm sorry!"
"I look kinda hot in these."
"Yeah!"
She gasped as he twisted harder.
"I'm sorry!"
He let go.
"It's better than looking like you." He muttered as he walked out of the room, being sure to slam the door on the way out.