See Jack Run

Chapter 21

He's gonna come get you.
Shut up.
You know he's gonna.
He's gone. I'm starting over.
Too late now, bitch.
Jack panicked in her sleep. Her voice and Mikey's voice argued bitterly in her mind.
Chasing.
Oh God, he's coming.
Jack had never had dreams so vivid. She could almost feel herself running through the house.
He has me now. I'm going to die.
Hands. On her shoulders. Past the point of no return, say goodbye, you're gone now. Pay your fucking dues, bitch!
Scream. At the top of your lungs. Scream!
But who's gonna hear?
In spite of that, Jack felt herself scream, and that jerked her awake. She could feel hands on her shoulders, and she screamed some more. He really had come back. He had come back and there was no forgiveness. He would kill her, with purpose but no mercy.
"Jackie! It's okay! It's Gerard!"
Jack kept screaming, felt the hands tighten on her shoulders, oh God, reaching for her wrist, no, no stop!
"It's okay! I'm not Mikey, I promise!"
Her breath caught in her chest, and she couldn't scream anymore. Her face was wet, and without looking, she knew it was blood. She suddenly felt a sharp pain in her palms. Looking down, Jack knew what had happened. She sunk her fingernails a quarter of an inch into the tender skin.
"You were sleepwalking. And screaming. I could hear you."
Deep breaths, in and out.
"Is Mikey here?"
"What? No! Jackie, what makes you think that?"
Deeper breaths. Keep breathing. He's not here. You can keep on breathing.
Gerard lead her to the bathroom.
"I can't go in here."
"You need a band-aid."
"Please don't make me go in there."
"He even made the bathroom a torture chamber? What did he do to you?"
Shaky breaths. Make them deep breaths.
"Nevermind." He said in response to her silence.
He went in, got an ace bandage. Her palms had stopped bleeding. However, after taking a look at her face in the light, he went in and emerged with a face cloth.
"Can I ask you something?" Gerard said as he wrapped her hands with the bandages.
"Depends."
"Why didn't you say anything?"
"I did. No one realized how big a problem it was until........."
She didn't need to finish. They both knew what she was going to say but didn't have the strength to.
"You could have told them how big a problem it was."
"You think they would have believed me?"
"Well, they will now."
"Who wants to believe that? Who wants to believe that children hurt other children? Their own siblings? This was past sibling rivalry! This was abuse! And who wants to believe that children can do that? When people don't want to believe something and somebody says that thing is a problem, they convince themselves that the kid is making it up or being dramatic!"
He's gonna come. You were lucky this time.
"Oh God, Jackie." Gerard whispered.
"You said you wanted to know what he did to me."
"You don't have to tell me." He said quietly.
"You don't want to know." Jack turned her face away.
"You don't know that."
"Do you love Mikey?"
"What?"
"Do you love him? Do you love your brother?"
"I don't know. After what he did to you?"
"You're not answering my question."
"I guess. In a different way."
Jack sighed.
"Would you have believed if I had told you that this was happening before he ruined my face?"
"I guess not."
Poor, helpless little Jack. Nobody's gonna be there to save you when I come to get you.
Jack wanted to turn her mind off more than anything else in the world.