See Jack Run

Chapter 7

"When you remember what he did to you, do you cry? Are you afraid?"
"Do you like people asking you intamite that they have no right to know the answer to?"
"Jaqueline, your cooperation could decide the verdict of your brother's trial. Please just answer the question."
"No, I don't cry." She paused, and looked off into space. Then she snapped back to attention. "That's a lie. I do cry. But I'm not afraid." She sighed. "That's a lie, too. I'm always afraid. I'm afraid that he's going to get a really long, horrible sentence, and they're going to torture him, because of me."
"Why do you feel guilty? Aren't you glad it's over?"
Instantly, the pyscologist regretted that. It was unprofessional and out of line to ask that.
Jack just looked at him, and her face was unfathomable. Her mouth was twisted in such a way that he couldn't tell if there was a smile or a frown, and she kept her eyes down. She looked almost like a pumpkin, many days after Halloween.
"Are you trained? Because that didn't seem like something you should say."
"Yes, I am. And I apologize. You were right, Jaqueline, that was wrong of me to ask that."
"Why are you calling me Jaqueline?"
"Because I feel that I should call you by the name society will recognize you by."
She rolled her eyes, but it was obvious she wasn't going to fight about the issue.
"Do you want to know anymore about Mikey?"
"You're opening. This is good. Yes, I would love to know more."
"I'm only offering more information because I want to get out of here."
Jack smirked now, confident that she had the upper hand. With a look like that, the pyscologist was sure she had something up her sleeve.
"Mikey was mean to me. I'm glad that he's in trouble now. I hope that I never see him again."
"Jaqueline, did you just lie to me?"
She nodded.
"I'm not telling you anything."
"Jaqueline, if you tell me what I need to know, Mikey may get a lighter sentence."
Her face grew earnest. "How do I know you're telling the truth?"
The pyscologist smiled. "Given the amount of lying that there has been so far, Jaqueline, I suppose that you'll just have to trust me. Now, can you tell me how he's beat you?"
"Do I have to?"
"It would be for the better."
"He would...once he got started, he couldn't stop. I would scream, and I would cry, but he all thought it was weakness, and then he'd hit me harder."
Her face darkened and turned away from the light.
"He always closed the doors. He wanted it to be just me and him, I don't think because he was afraid of being caught, but because he believed that the more that it was just him and me, the more I would be scared of him. The more scared I was, the more power he had over me. He wanted that. He would just beat me and I would go crawling for the door, but he would drag me back and keep hitting."
Her face turned back into the light. "Are you writing this down?"
"No. But there's a tape recorder in here."
"Will that get him in a lot of trouble?"
"That's up for the proper authorities to decide."
"Will they listen to the tape? Do you have to give it to them?"
"I'm required by law, Jaqueline."
Her face contorted into a horrible caricature of sadness and a sense of betrayal.