See Jack Run

Chapter 8

Gerard was coming home for Christmas. Mikey loved it when Gerard came home. Ever since he turned eighteen and went to college, Gerard had almost forgotten that he had a little brother who wanted to be just like him. Mikey had even taken up drawing lessons for a little bit, but he just couldn't get the hang of it. Jack remembered how he hid in the closet for days afterwards, afraid that Gerard would show up and say that he didn't love Mikey anymore.
Mikey went on a cleaning spree. Everything had to be perfect for Gerard. Gerard was a god in Mikey's eyes. He was even willing to work with Jack as a team in order for perfection. However, his hard work and hopes were crushed when the phone rang around eight at night.
"Hello?"
"Mikey? It's Gerard."
"Hi! I can't wait for you to get here!"
He was practically jumping up and down. He reminded Jack of a little puppy about to get a treat.
"I have some bad news, Mikey. I'm going at about ten feet an hour, and there's a monster snowstorm coming. I'm probably going to have to come tomorrow."
"Why can't you come tonight?"
Mikey was clinging to the phone now, biting his lower lip.
"I just told you. If I keep going, I don't think I'm going to get there until midnight."
"Midnight is fine! I'll stay up!"
"Look, Mikey, it's a lot easier if I turn back. I"ll just come tomorrow, okay? Tell Mom and Jackie that I'm sorry. I have to go. Bye."
With that, he hung up.
And Mikey slammed his fist into the wall, making him yelp, and leaving a slight indentation. Jack touched it, and it scared her.
She watched as Mikey's energy was drained by sadness.
"I just wanted him to come." Mikey murmured in a dejected voice. "Why can't he come tonight?"
He was whining now.
"You can wait." Jack tried to sound soothing. Even though Mikey wouldn't have done the same for her, now was not the time for retribution. When Gerard came home, Mikey was like a tree of affection. She would get hugs, maybe even an I love you.
"But I want him to come tonight!" Mikey's voice was higher now, and Jack could tell that just like a small child, Mikey was getting ready to throw a tantrum. He was fifteen, and still throwing temper tantrums.
But he started crying instead.
"I really miss him!" He bawled.
Jack wondered who the older sibling really was.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"I can't believe that you're going away." said Jack as she helped Gerard put things in boxes that would later go into a college dormitory.
"Neither can I."
Mikey was nowhere to be found. He hated goodbyes, and Jack supposed that Mikey thought that if he didn't help pack, Gerard wouldn't leave. But the only thing he was doing by not helping was making more work.
"Do you want these comic books?" Jack asked, holding them up.
"Yeah." Gerard sighed. "I think I grew up a little too fast."
"Come on. You can't be sentimental now." Jack threw them in a box.
Gerard walked over to his closet and opened it.
"Oh my God! Mikey, why are you in my closet?"
Jack fought to stifle laughter.
"I lost a shirt in here."
"Why would your clothes be in here? They don't fit me, so I don't borrow them."
Mikey's face reddened.
"I needed somewhere to hide."
"Hide from what? Helping me? You chose a crappy place to hide."
Mikey's blush deepened, and he quickly left the room.
"That was weird." Gerard said. "Do you know what's up with him?"
For a second, Jack was compelled to say everything. She wanted so badly for someone to know about all the times that she had been punched and slapped for, little things, or the times when he had thrown her in the shower with the cold water blasting, or how he would wait behind their school to attack her as she left.
But what would it do? Gerard would probably just say she was being a drama queen, and that sibling rivalry happens to the best of people.
"I don't know."
Gerard shrugged.
"He'll change."
Jack hoped so, more than anyone could have guessed.