See Jack Run

Chapter 9

"After Gerard didn't come on that night, Mikey took his disappointment out on the pillowcase. Not on me. There were times when he knew that I couldn't be blamed for something."
"Did Gerard come?"
"Yeah. He arrived at ten the next night. Mikey was ecstatic."
"How long did he stay?"
"Six days. And they were six good days."
"How?"
"Mikey is always on his best behavior when Gerard's home, even when Gerard wasn't looking. Usually, Mikey would wait when for a moment where no one was looking to pull my hair or twist my wrists. But he wanted to make a good impression. So I got hugs. He said he loved me three times."
"Do you think Gerard's absence provoked the beatings, or helped provoke them?"
"No. Even when Gerard was home, he would hit me. The thing with Mikey was that he was always kind of ignored, but I think he hit me because he wanted someone to pay attention to him. I guess he felt powerful if someone paid attention to him and was afraid of him. Getting back to the point, Gerard didn't ignore him. Gerard would take him places. Mikey felt loved with Gerard. So when he left, he didn't want to be loved by me. He wanted to be feared by me. So I guess Gerard's absence only made the beatings worse. I don't know if that's the same as provoking them, though."
Jack sighed and looked at her knee.
The pyscologist decided to take Jack in completely. Her physical appearance was...what it was.
Jack was very short, only about five feet tall. It didn't help that she was also very skinny. She had a head of long, straight brown hair, and brown eyes. He took in her clothing, too. A t-shirt advertising a band called Misfits. Jeans. Black sneakers. No jewelry. He couldn't conclude anything about her from her clothing or her physical appearance.
"Jaqueline, please answer this question honestly. Did Mikey ever sexually abuse you?"
"No! For God's sake, he's my brother! He doesn't love me like that!" Then her face took a look of melancholy defeat. "He doesn't love me at all actually."
A thick, heavy silence settled and choked off all sense of security in Jack. She squirmed, showing that she was very uncomfortable.
"Do you have to find out everything about him in one day?"
"We're together for a week. If this is too much for you, we'll continue tomorrow."
"Let's do that. I don't want to talk about this anymore today."
They both walked out of the office, and Jack grabbed some quarters out of her pocket and put them in the payphone.
"Hi, Mom. Yeah. When can you be here? I know it ended early, but...okay. I'll wait. Well, maybe. But he's not done."
Gerard was talking to another pyscologist in another room. Mikey had already seen one, but he refused to talk. But even by not talking, he helped the case. They put that he was antisocial in his file. And from his behavior in the cell where they kept him? After quickly talking to the prison guards, Mikey's pyscologist was able to put bipolar disorder and the chances of of him having a pyscotic break on his file. Now Mikey was in the pysche ward in the infirmary at the jail, taking pills that changed him completely.
Jack shuttered every time she thought about that. She hadn't wanted to visit him. She was afraid of what he would be like. She was afraid that he would be angry at her. She was afraid of many things regarding Mikey, and most of her fears had come true. When they had seen him, he was completely loopy and couldn't hold a conversation, not even with Gerard.
Interrupting her thoughts, Gerard walked out.
"Come on, Jack, we have to go home."