Sugar in the Engine

Crahsers

Spencer had Adelade over every night that week. They had to get everything right at this party, and that meant security, too. Adelade's parents agreed to supply some guards, and even have the police on watch, and Spencer's parents had their cameras set up around the premesis.

They were preventing crashers.

"Are there going to be people from other schools there?" Adelade asked. Spencer knew someone everywhere she went, so she was bound to invite people from everywhere around the town. Spencer smiled and nodded.

"Yep! They're my friends, though, and I trust them," she said. Adelade nodded. If Spencer trusted them, she could too. She trusted Spencer and her judgement, most of the time.

Adelade sighed and put her notebook down. She'd been taking notes on this stupid party for almost two hours straight, and she needed a break. She also needed to tell someone about her dream. As much as she wanted to tell Spencer, she knew she couldn't. Spencer wasn't a fan of Hawthorne Heights. In fact, she didn't even react to Casey in any way.

She couldn't tell her parents; they'd have her put in therapy. She couldn't tell Jeph; that would just be weird. Adelade was all alone on that subject. "Spence," she called. Her friend didn't stop writing, but she knew Spencer was listening. "Do you believe in guardian angels?" she asked.

That got Spencer to stop. She sat still for a few seconds before turning to Adelade. "What do you mean? Like, It's A Wonderful Life type thing?" she asked. Adelade shrugged, playing nervously with her fingers.

"I think I might have one," she said. Spencer rolled her eyes and smiled at her naive friend.

"Adelade, you have everything! What's to say you don't have a guardian angel? Maybe they're keeping you from doing the wrong thing, or the....whatever thing! All I know is that you are blessed, Addie," Spencer said.

Adelade thought about what Spencer said. Was she really blessed, or was it just her father's fortune? Did she really have a guardian angel, or were the voices in her dreams just, well, dreams? She felt lost, and she couldn't even tell Spencer about it. "I'm hungry," she said, trying to convince herself she really was hungry.

Spencer smiled, knowing the whole...subject change thing was completely a Adelade thing. She got up off her bed and waited for Adelade to follow her down the grand stair case. When they entered the huge kitchen, Spencer opened her first fridge, and I did say first, and found some hot pockets. "Brocli and Cheddar good for the vegetarian?" she asked.

Adelade smiled and nodded. The girls popped the food into the micro wave and waited. "Did you see that kid starring at you, Addie?" Spencer asked. Adelade widened her eyes.

"Spencer, who doesn't star at me at school? Not to sound stuck up, but people at our school have a thing with starring or glaring at me," she said. Spencer nodded as the micro wave dinged, letting her know the food was done.

"Yeah, but this kid was really starring at you. Like, he was undressing you with his eyes!" Spencer said. Adelade stopped where she was. Sure, the boys at school stared at her, but never like they could easily rape her. She knew something was weird when Spencer said that.

"Well, as long as we don't know him, he won't bother us, right?" Adelade asked. Spencer shrugged and handed Adelade her hot pocket on an individual plate. The girls we back into Spencer's gigantic living room, placing their plates on the coffee table and turning on the television on.

"You know, I'm really starting to think our lives couldn't get any better," Spencer said. Adelade smiled, though her thoughts were the opposite.

She knew something bad was going to happen.