Do What It Takes to Survive

Savages

Image

I became aware of Randy’s malicious laughter. I was confused and I thought I was having a nightmare, so I tried to ignore him.

“He’ll love to hear about this!” Randy exclaimed joyously. Was he talking about Tattoo Face?

“That’s for sure!” Ron laughed. “I bet he never guessed this would happen.”

“What’s going on?” Gerard mumbled, startling me.

I realized I wasn’t dreaming. I was awake. My eyes fluttered open, and I saw Gerard’s shirt very close to my face. I was sitting in his lap, and my arms were wrapped around his neck. I swore and pried his arms from around me so that I could scuttle away.

Ron and Randy were chuckling in the doorway, and Gerard was glaring up at them. “What do you want?” he growled.

Ron smiled and held up two blindfolds. “We’re taking you to our boss. He needs you.”

“Hurry up,” Randy commanded. We scrambled to our feet. Randy smiled. “He’ll be interested in… this.” He gestured to both of us.

I gritted my teeth. Great. I had been sitting on his lap. Even though I had been asleep, I was disgusted with myself. It was worse than the night before. I wanted to beat on my subconscious self, even if I had only been trying to stay warm.

Randy showed us his gun before Ron tied the bandanas over our eyes. They pushed us through the building, but I had no idea where we were going. It was either a very big building, or they made us walk in circles to confuse us. I couldn’t tell which.

When they finally tore off our blindfolds, we were standing before Tattoo Face’s desk. I grimaced. He didn’t look any friendlier than before. In fact, he looked more menacing.

“So!” he said in a hospitable voice. “How is your room?”

“What are we, in a hotel?” Gerard replied angrily. “I’d have to say that hotels aren’t quite as freezing, the beds – or should I say floors – aren’t as hard, and they have better meals.”

Tattoo Face laughed. “Oh wonderful. He’s got a sense of humor!”

Gerard clenched his fists. I shot him an urgent warning look. These people had guns. He should be careful of what he said.

Ron grinned at Tattoo Face. “You should’ve seen them, boss… all snuggled up like lovers when we came in for them.”

My eyes narrowed and I clenched my fists as well.

Tattoo Face’s eyebrows shot up, and his eyes danced with delight. “Really?” he asked us. “Is that true?”

“Unfortunately,” I spat. “We were only close to each other because it was cold.”

“More like freezing. But we can’t control our bodies while we sleep. We’re… attracted to each other’s warmth,” Gerard finished for me.

“Even so,” Tattoo Face said thoughtfully, “I’m surprised you haven’t killed each other by now.”

Gerard laughed grimly. “Was that the plan all along?”

Tattoo Face shook his head. “No, although it couldn’t have been that bad of an outcome. Actually, I brought you here so we could video tape you. We need some proof that you’re both still alive.”

Gerard scowled. “Will you kill us afterwards, or put us back in out cell?”

“Probably back to your cell,” he answered cheerfully. “I’d like to see what else you do to stay warm.”

I bit my lip to keep from screaming at him.

“Stupid kid,” Randy snarled. “He got in her pants before we even got a chance to try.”

My back stiffened and a shiver ran up my spine. I froze, and my mind reeled. I had tried to banish this fear since these men kidnapped me, but it had always been lurking in the back of my mind.

“I didn’t do anything to her. I wouldn’t hurt her,” Gerard said slowly. His voice was calm, but his hands were shaking.

“Didn’t you?” Ron was smirking.

I snapped right then. They were actually accusing Gerard of being as lowly as them, stooping to their level of evil. “No, he didn’t!” I exclaimed. “Because he is a good man, and he has dignity and a conscience. You don’t even deserve to be called men. You are savages. Worse. You’re animals. You have less honor than dirt, and you’re all the worst cowards I’ve ever known.”

Tattoo Face’s cheeks were red with rage, and I knew I had made a terrible mistake. I closed my mouth and felt the blood drain from my face. Gerard looked as pale as I felt. God, I was so stupid. How could I let my big mouth take control like that? It must’ve been the fear that made me snap.

Tattoo Face got up slowly. “You’ll regret that,” he whispered. “Every word. You’ll wish you were never given a mouth to speak with.”

I swallowed. This didn’t sound good at all. I shook as he took a few steps toward me. What was he going to do?

When he was within arm’s length of me, Gerard lunged at him. Tattoo face was ready, though; he had been expecting it. That’s funny, because I hadn’t.

He swung his arm around to strike Gerard’s chest, and he flew backwards. Before Gerard could lunge at Tattoo Face again, Randy and Ron each grabbed one of his arms. He struggled, and then limply resigned.

I turned my gaze back to Tattoo Face, whose eyes had never left me. He reached to grab my wrist, but I thought I was quicker. I took a step to the side and turned to run.

He expected this, though too. His foot slammed into my back, and I stumbled forward into the wall. He grabbed my shoulder and turned me around to face him. I didn’t think he was going to kill me, since he still needed a video to prove I was alive. So I decided I wasn’t going to struggle. I would let him beat me. If I defied him, it would only make him angrier.

He pressed me against the wall with a hand around my throat. I struggled to breath.

He slapped me once. I would’ve gasped, but I couldn’t get enough air. He slapped me again. I whimpered. He slapped me once more. “Who’s a coward now?” he asked menacingly, and then slapped me.

A tear slipped from my eye. I couldn’t answer him. “Who’s an animal now?” he continued, slapping me a fifth time. I started to see black dots in my vision. He slapped me one last time before letting go.

I slid to the floor, gasping for air. Oh, but he wasn’t done. I held up my hand, a reflex reaction, to try to defend myself. He kicked it, sending a blazing pain through my fingers.

I opened my eyes, thinking that maybe he was going to kill me after all. Through my blurry, teary eyes, I saw Gerard’s face as he struggled to get away from Ron and Randy. He looked way more outraged than he should have. Why would he care?

I closed my eyes, prepared for him to kick me again. He did, striking my arm this time. Then something fell on top of me, knocking my breath away. It was a body, of that I was sure.

This body was not trying to hurt me. From the way it curled around me and pressed me to the wall was not forceful. It was done carefully, as if I was as breakable as glass. This body was shielding me, protecting me.
♠ ♠ ♠
The next two chapters will be in Gerard's P.O.V.
Please Comment!