Status: Completed

Fracture

eleven.

My knuckles turned white as I clung to the edges of the toilet and gagged. I had never been this hung over in my entire life, and it was an experience I never wanted to relive.

"No more alcohol ever," I mumbled to Natalie as she came back into the bathroom with a cold bottle of water.

"That's probably a good plan, Em," She shook her head and checked the time on her phone, "I talked to Pete and I'll cover your shift today."

"You don't have to do that," I tried to stand up, but pain like lightning shot through my head and I slumped back down.

"Apparently I do," She laughed.

I tried to glare at her, but my facial muscles weren't communicating with my brain. Nothing in my body seemed to want to listen. I felt like a marionette with its strings cut as I crawled to my bunk.

I pulled the covers over my head, "What ever happened to Jack?"

Natalie smirked, "I told him I'd take care of you, but he wouldn't listen. John basically had to drag him off the bus."

"Really?" I asked, pulling the blankets away from my pounding head and looking at my friend.

"Really, really," She smiled, "But I have to go. I'll check up on you in a few hours."

Natalie walked away and I rolled onto my side as I heard the bus door close. This was embarrassing. I was here for business, not to be laying on the bus while the best friend I was supposed to be entertaining was covering my ass.

I slept for an hour before forcing myself to roll out of bed and take a shower. I felt the tiniest bit better as I pulled on gray shorts and an embroidered white tank top. I pulled my wet hair up into a messy bun, knowing the heat would dry it quickly, and placed my sunglasses over my burning eyes.

The couch in the lounge was cold like usual as I sat down to pull on my sneakers. As I glanced up, I saw a white piece of paper resting on the table opposite me. Beside it was a brown paper bag. I stood up and looked at the folded note, which had my name scribbled in sloppy handwriting on the front and inside, in the same uneven writing, was a message.

Emily,
Thought you might need some morning-after supplies. Text me when you're feeling better.
=), Jack


A smile crept onto my face before I peered into the bag and started pulling out its contents. A bottle of blue Gatorade, saltine crackers, and Orbit mint gum.

"I can get you different flavors if you want," A voice from the front of the louge made me jump.

It was Jack, frozen on the steps, looking up at me. I hadn't heard him come in, but then again I felt like someone was hammering away inside my skull.

"No, this is awesome. Blue Frost is my favorite Gatorade," I smiled at him, picking up the bottle.

"Mine, too," He let a smile creep onto his dark features, "I'd ask if you wanted to come to our set today, but I know how your head's probably feeling right now."

I nodded my head, "I'd love to, but I think I'm going to have to take a rain check on that one."

"I'll take your word on that one," He smiled, "But I have to get going. We have a signing in like 15 minutes so I have to meet up with the guys."

"Have fun," I told him with another smile. I always seemed to be smiling around him.

"I will! Feel better," He kept looking into my eyes a few seconds longer before turning back down the stairs and heading off the bus.

***

The pain killers I'd taken were finally starting to kick in, but I still cringed when a customer walked up to ask a question.

"I've got it," Natalie stood up, noticing my face.

A young girl in booty shorts and a cami, wearing far too much makeup, scanned her eyes over the merchandise, "When are the Maine going to be signing?"

Her voice sounded like nails on a chalkboard as Natalie replied, "It's at 3:40 in the SkullCandy tent."

"Yeah, and where is that?" She asked rudely.

"Just keep walking down this row of tents, turn after Anarbor's, then it should be down that row," Natalie told her, surprisingly keeping her posture.

"Why don't you have the time written somewhere? Don't you think that would be good info for fans?" The girl's mouth was too big for her petite face, her teeth covered in pink braces.

"Actually, it's posted right here," Natalie pointed to the sign taped to the table in front of the girl.

"Oh," The girl rolled her eyes, "Maybe make it more visible next time."

"I'll keep that in mind," Natalie clenched her jaw.

The tween fan didn't walk away, instead picking up a CD from another band and looking at the back.

John sauntered over to the tent, sliding his tall, skinny body past the table, "Hey, Nat."

He planted a kiss on Natalie's cheek and turned toward me. If it wasn't for my full attention on the expression the young fan's face had turned to, I might have blushed at the outward display of affection.

"Hey, Emily," John walked over to me, placing his hand on my head, "How ya feeling?"

"OMIGOD, YOU'RE JOHN!" The girl yelled and flashed her braces before I could reply.

He seemed startled, but made his way out of the tent and started a conversation with the bug-eyed tween.

"Could you take a picture of us?" The fan shoved her camera at Natalie, who forced a smile and snapped a quick photo.

I knew Natalie too well to think she was enjoying any of this. She'd confessed to me that afternoon that she and John had kissed at the party the night before. Right before Jack had called, actually. I apologized profusely for interrupting anything, but she'd waved any thought of "sorry" out of the air with her hand.

"I came here for you, anyway," She'd told me.

I felt guilty either way, feeling like the biggest cock-block and a terrible friend. But I'd shut up after she'd shot me a look for trying to apologize again. After the fan had giddily walked away, John came behind the tent again.

"How was your set?" Natalie asked him as he sat on one of the boxes of shirts.

"It was awesome," He smiled, "The fans here are always so good to us."

I swore I heard Natalie snort at the comment, but John was in another blissful world and didn't hear it. About an hour later he left for the signing, leaving Natalie and I to talk. Pete was dealing with label reps all day, so he'd left the tent to us.

"He really likes you, Nat," I tilted my head to look at her.

"You think so?" She bit her lip and quickly looked over at me.

"You're joking, right?" I looked at her with wide eyes.

She shrugged, "I don't know anything about the guy."

"Well I know a couple things," I sat up and turned to her, "I've never seen him look at anyone on this tour like he looks at you. I've seen him with other girls for no more than a night. He's stuck by your side like a little puppy for days now."

"He probably just doesn't want it to be awkward," She shook her head, "We have to be in close capacity for a week."

"Natalie, look at me," I told her sternly and she complied, "He fooled around with Garrett's sister and she stayed a week, too. He didn't treat her anything like he's treated you so far. Hell, the next morning the only thing he said to her was 'excuse me' in the hallway."

Natalie raised her eyebrows, "Sounds like a douche to me."

I shook my head, "No, not even close. I think John's problem is he's looking for something he hasn't found, and he's going about it all the wrong ways. But it seems like with you it's different."

"I'm not the solution to all his faults," Natalie laughed.

"But maybe you're the path he's been searching for," I told her seriously, "The one he's been too afraid to walk down."


"Wait a minute..." Juliet had a concentrated look on her face, "Is this Uncle John?"

"That would be him," I nodded, taking a sip of the coffee I had brewed.

It was late now, but Juliet had ignored my protests for bed, insisting that she needed to hear the full story in one sitting.

"I knew he was a musician, but he knew dad?" She asked softly, not looking at me.

"Well, yes," I told her softly.

"So everyone knew who he was except for me?" I could see tears welling up in her eyes, "How is that fair?"

I set my mug down and scooted toward her side of the couch. She'd taken on a stiff posture and had crossed her arms over her chest.

"It's a lot more complicated than you understand, sweetie," I reached out my hand, but Juliet pulled away.

"I should have had a choice," She shook her head.

"You'll understand someday," I sighed.

"Just keep going with the story," Juliet muttered.

I obliged, not knowing what else to do.
♠ ♠ ♠
Woo! Banged that out in less than an hour. That's a first, for sure.

Comments will make me update again! (: