Santa Stole My Girlfriend.

Santa Stole My Girlfriend.

The party was alive with the buzz of chatter. The elves, Mrs. Claus' and Santa's were all mixed into one red and green blur in the apartment of my best friend, Allara. I could see girls I didn't know wandering around in barely there costumes I would never have the guts to be seen in. I was still stood in the doorway of her guest bedroom, coat wrapped tightly around my body. Allara was the one who had talked me into this. As a nice surprise for Alex, my boyfriend of over a year, and the sweetest guy I had ever met. Yes, okay, maybe to you Alex Gaskarth was nothing but a player, but how can you truly make that assumption when you don't know him even a little?
The room was filled with band boys and merch girls all shamelessly flirting with each other and hoping to get truly smashed. It was one of Allara's parties, and I knew I would end up stumbling home with my heels in my hands by the end of the night, or just crashing out on one of her spare beds with Alex.
"Hey, beautiful," an amazingly familiar voice said. I could smell the alcohol in his hands and on his breath, but who gives a damn?
"Hello, Alex," I smiled, turning to him.
"What's with the big coat?" He asked, after placing a small kiss on my lips.
"I have a, um, surprise. But I daren't show anyone," I blushed.
"If you're only in underwear under that, I swear you need to get into that bedroom right now," he smirked, pointing into the room. I laughed.
"No, no. You're not that lucky," I joked.
"Damn. So, what's the surprise then?"
"It's now or never," I mumbled, unzipping the coat and throwing it onto the bed behind me. You remember how I said I wouldn't ever dare be seen in a costume like the other girls? Yeah, that's what the coat was for. I saw Alex's jaw drop and his eyes pop.
"Wow."
"It was all Allara's idea! I swear!"
"Remind me to thank her," he smiled, wrapping his arm around my waist and pulling me close. "Come on, I promised some guys I'd introduce them to my amazing girlfriend." I blushed as he led me over to a group of five guys. Four wearing elf costumes, and one wearing a Santa costume. "Guys, this is my girlfriend, Yasmin. Yazz, this is Garrett, Kennedy, Jared and Pat." He said, pointing to each of the guys in elf costumes as he said their names, I smiled and waved to each. Then we turned to the remaining guy, who was pulling down his Santa beard as we turned to him. "And this is John Oh."
"Nice to meet you," I blushed, trying to tug my skirt down a little more. His beard came off his face completely and settled around his neck.
"Alex, I never knew you had such good taste, man." John Oh said, making me blush. "You've seriously got this guy wrapped around your finger, and I can see exactly why. It's nice to finally meet you, Yasmin."
"Call me Yazzii."
"Yazzii." He corrected himself. "I like it."
"Lay off my girl, O'Callaghan." John raised his arms in surrender.
"I was doing no such thing. Calm it, dude." I could tell Alex didn't mean anything too serious by the way he said it, but he always had that hint of jealousy to him when it came to me talking to other guys besides his band mates. In the beginning he wasn't even 100% on them. I never did quite get it.
"Come on, lets go see Jack." Alex muttered, tugging me away.
"It was nice to meet you guys," I bit my lip and looked at Alex for a second before carrying on. "I talk to you later, maybe?" The others were about to reply to me, but John cut them off straight away.
"You can count on that, Sweetheart." Alex's grip tightened even more on me as we walked away, me still watching John as he pulled his beard back on and watched the two of us leave the area.
"I hate that. He was blatantly flirting with you while I was stood right there! We're friends! I can't believe him!"
"Alex, calm down. It's nothing. Let him have his fun. It's you I want." A small smile spread across Alex's face at my words.
No matter what I had said to Alex, I would always find myself sneaking glances at John and the boys throughout the night. It made me giggle inwardly when I watched him take the pillow out of his jacket and fluff it up to make himself look larger. It made me giggle when Pat ruffled his hair and John stole his elf hat and candy cane. I couldn't tear my eyes away, and it wasn't going unnoticed by Alex.
"Who do you keep on looking at?" He asked, a sad, confused and angry look filling up his features.
"No one in particular. Just people," I lied.
"Ugh. Fine, I'm going to go get another drink with Jack. You coming?"
"No, I'm gonna go find Allara. I haven't seen her since I got here."
"'Kay, well, I'll see you in a few," he smiled, kissing me softly and walking away. Usually I would watch him as he left, but tonight my eyes were still focused on John Oh. I sighed and stood from my seat, trying to find my best friend in this mess of people.
"And just what is a gorgeous girl like you doing all alone in a place like this?" A barely recognisable voice asked from the crowd behind me. I turned slightly to see who it was, and if they actually were talking to me, only to see a very tall Santa looking down at me, and smile clear beneath his beard.
"This 'gorgeous' girl, is trying to find her friend." I replied, unable to find it in me to tear myself away from his beautiful brown eyes.
"Well, would you care to dance? I'm sure you can spare a couple of minutes from your search to allow me that pleasure," he grinned down at me. I lowered my head to hide my blush, allowing my black hair to fall in front of my face. He pushed my hair behind my ears and pulled my face up to look at him again. "What do you say?" I bit my lip.
"Maybe just the one."
"Score!" He cheered, laughing at himself. He grabbed my wrist lightly and pulled me through the makeshift dance floor. One dance quickly turned into two, and two to four, and four to eight. The songs kept on changing, and neither of us paid it much mind as we danced with each other. Laughing and joking with one another, until everyone had started to leave the party. John spun me around and allowed me to collapse onto his waiting arm before pulling me up again. Like it always happened in the movies. I looked up above his head, and tried to wipe the thought from my mind at the mistletoe hanging up there. John looked up at where I my eyesight was trained, and smiled. "Mistletoe." He pointed out.
"Yeah," I whispered in return. I saw his face inch closer and lean down toward me.
"YASMIN!" His head snapped upright and his rubbed the back of his neck nervously as he watched Alex make his way over to us, anger etched into every line of his face. "What the hell?!"
"It was nothing Alex, I didn't kiss him. We just danced."
"I thought you were finding Allara."
"We found her ages ago. She was with Jack, so we left them to it. You know no one should interrupt those two." John smirked. It was true. We had seen them off the side of the dance floor about two songs into our dancing. "We decided to dance for a bit, no big deal." Alex shot him a glare, grabbed my arm and pulled me away from John and right to the edge of the depleting party crowd.
"Explain." He hissed.
"There's nothing to explain. We danced, we joked about it, it doesn't mean a thing."
"How can you say that?! You didn't see yourself out there! You didn't see the way he looked at you! The way he fucking touched you!"
"We danced, Alex! No. Big. Deal." He opened his mouth to let out another stream of accusations, but I cut him off. "I'm fucking sick of your shit, Alex. I can't have any guy friends anymore! I don't love you liked I used to." His eyes became the size of saucers.
"Yazzii, no. Don't do this."
"Too late, Alex. We're over, I'm sorry." I left him there then, and went back to John. Tonight had made me realise that the feeling in the pit of my stomach wasn't love, it was something else. Alex wasn't the boy for me anymore. It took John to make me realise that. I found John in the far corner of the room, stood alone for the first time that night. "I'm sorry about that, John. Alex was always over-protective of me."
"It's fine. He cool with it now?"
"He doesn't have a choice anymore," I mumbled.
"What?"
"I broke up with him."
"Jeez. I feel guilty. It's my fault, isn't it?"
"No, no! You just made me realise a few things. I didn't love Alex anymore, if I ever did."
"I'm sorry, Yazzii."
"It's fine." He pulled his beard down and licked his lips, pulling something out of his pocket.
"I guess it's okay for me to do this now." He held the mistletoe above my head, and leaned down to kiss me like before. Only this time our lips met, and our eyes fluttered to a close.
John O'Callaghan was the Santa who stole Alex Gaskarth's girl. And Alex Gaskarth's girl couldn't give a damn about anything but that one perfect moment when Santa kissed her under the mistletoe.