Sequel: You Could Be Happy

Wilted and Faded

my name's forgotten

Johnny scrambled into Ruby’s apartment and locked the door behind him, pocketing his key. He had just about managed to make his way through the gaggle of paparazzi outside in one piece.

Hearing the sounds of Nirvana’s Smells Like Teen Spirit coming from the living room he followed it.

Johnny was used to Ruby’s apartment looking like a disaster zone but today it seemed especially messy. He switched off the music and turned to face the dark pink sofa. Surrounded by empty beer cans, an empty bottle of Jack Daniels and an empty vodka bottle on its side, the contents spilt over the dark wood floor, was Ruby.

Watching the steady rise and fall of her chest Johnny knew she was just asleep. He let his eyes sweep over her, the baggy shirt she wore swamped her slim frame and her long brightly streaked hair covered most of her unusually pale face.

Sighing he crouched down in front of her and swept back her long bangs to look at her properly, "What are we going to do with you Red?"

Without the stitches and dark eyes she looked just like the little girl he used to run around after when he was a kid. But there was something different, even in her sleep, she looked jaded, exhausted.

Although they were the furthest apart of the West children, age wise, Johnny and Ruby had always had a special connection. They were so similar that they had always got along well. When Ruby first returned to L.A. almost five years ago it had been awkward with the rest of her siblings, but her and Johnny had gone back to the way they always were within seconds.

Johnny carefully slid his arms under her fragile body and lifted her slowly off the couch. As he carried his little sister down the hall she shifted in her sleep and buried her head in his chest.

He dodged the mess of discarded clothing littering the floor of her bedroom before placing her carefully in her bed, pulling the comforter up around her shoulders. He pecked her cheek as she settled back to sleep then made his way back to the living room to figure out what to do when she woke up.