Sequel: You Could Be Happy

Wilted and Faded

you want a part of me

21 years and 1 day old, that’s how old I was today. My flight to London left tomorrow and I didn’t know when, or if, I’d be back. After my chat with Johnny I still hadn’t talked to Frank.

Pulling on my denim trapeze dress I blow-dried my hair and put on a little make-up.

Sighing at my reflection I figured it was time to bite the bullet.

I wandered through the house looking for Frank to no avail, just as I was about to ask Ray if he had seen his short friend I figured out where he would be.

Slipping on my red Converse I headed out the door.

Ten minutes later I was at the bottom of the hill. I walked on the grass next to the gravel path so that I wouldn’t make any noise. There he was, sitting on our bench, his dark hair ruffling in the light breeze as he stared out over the bay.

I sat down next to him.

“I thought you’d be packing,” he said softly.

“Not much to pack,” I replied.

We both started to speak at the same time.

I blushed and looked down, “You go.”

“I just wanted to say I didn’t get the chance to give you this yesterday,” Frank stuck his hand into his hoodie pocket and produced a little box.

I took it from him, our fingers touching for a second. Quickly I opened the lid to reveal a length of black cord with a small black stone hanging from it.

“The stone’s onyx. It’s supposed to represent grounding, change and courage and it’s meant to help the process of letting go. Something like that anyway,” he said quietly.

I smiled at his thoughtfulness and lifted it out of the box, “I love it, would you help me put it on?”

“Uh, sure,” he took it from me and I turned my back to him, moving my hair out of his way.

“There we go.”

“Thanks,” I smiled, running my fingers over the stone.

“So. London?”

I nodded, “Yeah, I leave tomorrow.”

“When do you get back?” Frank asked.

I squirmed a little, “Well that’s the thing. I might not be back for a while. I don’t know how long it’s going to take to do whatever it is this lawyer needs me to do, you know how long legal stuff can drag out for.” I swallowed nervously, “And then I was thinking about visiting my Grandma in Italy and I have Godparents in Paris I haven’t seen since my mum died.”

“Sounds like a plan.”

“Well, it’s about as much of a plan I’ve ever made, that’s for sure,” I smiled uneasily, the thought of travelling and being in different countries alone suddenly sinking in for the first time.

“I’m sure you’ll have a great time. I have to get back,” Frank said, standing up and walking back down the hill.

I sat alone on the bench for a little while longer, watching boats go in and out of the marina and people walking around the boardwalk.

I sighed as I hugged my bare arms close to my body as the wind picked up, this time tomorrow I’d be on the other side of the world.