Sequel: You Could Be Happy

Wilted and Faded

well, I'm not selling cheap

I placed my hands on my hips as I looked at the mess on my bed.

“You look like you could use a hand,” came a gentle voice from the door.

I looked over at Frank and smiled, “That would be great.”

We stood next to each other and picked up a shirt each folding them in silence.

Frank suddenly dropped his, “So I really need to tell you something that I’ve been meaning to tell you for a while now.”

I blinked at him and motioned for him to sit on the bed as I sat down, “Okay.”

“I like you, a lot. Which is a little surprising because before I met you I didn’t think I would be able to stand you never mind feel this way. But then Johnny brought you here and you were so quiet and shy and then I got you into trouble with those beer bottles and you stood up for yourself and I could see the person you really were underneath all that Hollywood crap. And I started to fall for that person, I mean I started to think I could fall for that person, you,” he stopped, taking a deep breath.

“Wow,” I stated, staring at the carpet beneath my feet.

“And I know this isn’t exactly the best time for this. You’re still feeling weird about Chris and your family and I was an ass to you earlier and now I tell you I like you when you’re just about to fly to the other side of the world. But,” he turned to face me, “I couldn’t let you go without telling you how I feel. And now I sound like something out of a chick’s movie.”

I sat there and took in everything he said.

“I like you too but like you said, I’m about to leave for London and I don’t know when I’m coming back,” I trailed off, wishing I was saying the exact opposite but knowing I couldn’t.

Frank looked down at the carpet.

“I wish this was as simple as it should be,” I sighed, tilting my head back and looking up at the ceiling, “Boy likes girl. Girl likes boy back. They live happily ever after, that’s how this is supposed to work.”

“If only real life were that simple,” Frank chuckled.

“Yup.”

I brought my head back down and rested my chin on my chest.

“Will you take me to the airport tomorrow?”

“Yeah, of course. But won’t Johnny want to take you?” he asked.

I shrugged, “I’d like you to.”

Frank nodded, “No problem.”

“I’d better get this finished,” I motioned to the jumble behind me.

“D’you want me to stay?”

“No, it’s okay.”

He nodded again, “I’ll see you in the morning then.”

“Yup.”

He stood up and hesitated before I felt his soft lips against my cheek.

I bit my lip to contain my smile as he closed the door behind him.