Sequel: You Could Be Happy

Wilted and Faded

hey, so glad you could make it now

I smiled as we made our way into the crowded main room of the club and walked over to our usual booth in the VIP section.

“Nice”, Jessica drawled as she spotted the waiting bottle of champagne in an ice bucket. Lauren quickly filled up each of our glasses.

Soon we had finished two and a half bottles of champagne between us three girls and I was feeling happily buzzed.

“Come on Chrissy-boy”, I grabbed his hand and we shuffled out of the booth towards the dance floor.

I didn’t recognise the thumping hip-hop that was bouncing off the walls but I soon got into the beat and was grinding away with Christian. My back was against his chest as I closed my eyes and threw my arms in the air.

Everyone thinks we’re ‘friends with benefits’ but in all honesty we are more like brother and sister. Not that I need any more siblings but with Chris it was different, we actually loved each other because we did, not because we were meant to. We had seen each other through the good and the bad and would continue to do so when we were both old and grey.

Suddenly I felt Chris’s presence disappear from behind me. I turned around to see him in a heated debate with a tall, slim blonde that I knew all to well.

Megan Stein.

We had gone to the same high school and were pretty much enemies from the start. She was also in the process of being Chris’s ex-girlfriend which didn’t exactly help matters much.

I watched as she yelled at him and made wild gestures with her arms, mostly in my general direction. The desire to go over and put in my two cents was overwhelming but I was good and bit my tongue, Chris hadn’t wanted me to be too involved in their relationship, seeing as how Megan hated me and everything.

Glancing over at our booth in the VIP area I noticed it was now filled by Lauren, Jessica and some other random ‘friends’ of some well-known celebrities (you know the ones who’s bodies you only see half of in paparazzi photos?). I rolled my eyes as I saw them order more champagne and cocktails on my tab.

“Fucking bitch”

I turned my head at the grumbled profanity behind me and found Chris standing there with his hands on his hips.

“Who?” I asked innocently.

“You know who, Megan. She thinks I dumped her to be with you.”

I snorted as we made our way off of the dance floor and towards the slightly less crowded bar area, “Why does she think that?”

“Cause you were grinding your butt into my groin and she saw us?”

“Hey! You weren’t complaining!” I poked him in the chest.

He laughed, “Okay so it was just an excuse for her to explode at me and I may have seen her come in.”

I dropped my jaw, “Christian Matthew Baker! I’m shocked and appalled.”

“What can I say? I learned from the best.”

“True”, I grinned.

We stood and looked around the club.

“I’m bored”, I stated, “Want to go home?”

“Thought you’d never ask”, Chris smiled gratefully, “What about the gruesome twosome?” he asked, nodding in the direction of Jessica and Lauren.

“Meh. I don’t think they’ll be worrying about getting home ‘til the morning”, I said as they each had a generic-looking model/actor draped over them.

Chris guided me towards the entrance of the club with his hand on the small of my back and we were bombarded by the usual flashing of cameras as we climbed into my car that the valet had brought around.

I glanced at the clock on the dashboard that read 1.34 and yawned.

“Tired already? This was a quiet night for you”, Chris chuckled.

I shrugged and looked out of the window, “I keep thinking about earlier with Louisa. I guess I’m just not in the mood to party. Anyway it’s not fair that I can get rat-arsed and you have to stay sober.”

“Rat-arsed?” he asked, laughing, “I love it when you’re tipsy, you go all English.”

“That’s because I am English! I just let it out more when I drink”, I mused.

“And your accent gets more English.”

“It’s better than that weird Trans-Atlantic thing it usually is.”

“Dude, you’re accent isn’t weird. It’s kinda cute actually.”

“Aww Chris. You’re so swee-”

I was suddenly cut off by the bright beam of light coming through the windscreen and the sound of screeching tyres.