Jet Black Heart

'Dear Jet Black...'

“Jet! C’mere, there’s someone waiting to see you – and this time, don’t stuff it up!” I heard my warden stomp back downstairs and sighed. The orphanage was getting more and more visitors each summer because of the advertising on the news, and I really wasn’t happy about it.
I’d lived at the orphanage since I was six, when I was dropped off by my parents’ friends. My parents had died in some freak accident, so I didn’t know much about them.
“Jet! Get down here now!” I sighed again and took one last look at my reflection before walking out of my room. My dark eyes and shoulder length brown hair contrasted harshly with my pale skin, and I looked like a walking ghost at times. I was pretty, I knew that from when I’d first been adopted by a man who owned his own modelling agency, but I never liked him, so after sabotaging his business plans, I got sent back here.
Life was boring; no matter what, I always got what I wanted. In fact, the rest of the orphans here – other than my friend – were scared of me. Not surprisingly, knowing what I’d done to them if they crossed my path. I knew I was a bitch at times, but never to my best friend, Sapphire, and always for a reason.
“Jet, this is Mr and Mrs Turner. They are adopting Sapphire, but also wouldn’t mind another girl in the house.” I was surprised; Sapphire must really like them to have given them such a good impression.
“Hi,” I said, putting on a shy voice and smiling at them through my eyelashes.
“Hello, Jet. I am Jake and this is my wife, Reia. You’re nearly eleven, am I correct?” I stiffened; I hated being so young – I knew I was older than my years, but everyone except Sapphire treated me like an infant. I forced myself to nod my head and appear happy, and I knew immediately that they had already made up their mind to take me home.
Studying them, I was slightly disappointed to see that they were obviously only middle-class. However, I wasn’t about to leave Sapphire, so I put on a grin and made myself put up with the idle talk.
“So what is the one thing you would love to do?” The man, Jake, asked me.
“Meet my parents – my real ones.” So that I can kill them again for leaving me in this god-awful place with no money, I added in my head. His face seemed to harden, and I could see that I didn’t want to get on the wrong side of him – I was scared of him already. But the expression passed in a moment, and I wondered if I’d simply imagined it.

Adoption papers were signed, my measly possessions were gathered and Sapphire and I were bailed into a small silver car. The faint smell of cigarettes and alcohol assaulted me as I strapped myself in, and I frowned. I had never liked the idea – or the choking smell – of cigarettes; it was one of the only things I knew I’d never try.
“Are you both strapped in?” Reia asked us, smiling with too much enthusiasm.
“Yes,” Sapphire replied, smiling in return. I was suspicious – Sapphire had always been too trusting – but I gave Reia a smile and nodded.
It was a long drive, but I distracted myself from my car sickness by watching the trees pass us in a blur. For some strange reason, it helped.
I knew Sapphire wasn’t much of a talker, so I didn’t try to strike up a conversation, although Reia tried to a few times. Jake was concentrating on driving, but sometimes looked at us in the mirror and gave us a smile.
I sighed and thought about my last week at the orphanage. It had been particularly exciting because of the discovery of yet another thing I was able to do; I had found out early on that I was special. Different. Not only could I make people do what I wanted just by thinking about it, but I had accidentally caused my bed to burst into flames two years ago, when I’d been angry at one of the other orphans. I could hurt people by looking at them, and – as I found out only yesterday – I could speak to snakes. Sapphire didn’t know about this last bit, but she found the rest fascinating, and I thought she was actually rather jealous.
The snake in question had been looking for food, and had accidentally stumbled into my room. I’d given it another orphans’ pet mouse, which it promptly devoured, and then I’d sent it on its merry way.
I was yanked from my thoughts by the sudden slowing of the car as it entered a small driveway. The house there wasn’t grand, but it was clean, modern and large.
Sapphire and I were bundled in the front door while Jake went to get our luggage.
“Right, first things first, your room is this way – later, we will be going to get you some new clothes and things.” Reia gave me another fake smile and led us to our respective bedrooms. Sapphire had a large one on the first floor by the stairs, opposite Jake and Reia’s room. It had light blue walls which suited Sapphire’s name, and a plain queen sized bed in the middle, backed up against the far wall. A huge window the whole left side of the room, and there was a bookshelf and some CDs on the right side of the bed. I sighed in envy, but followed Reia upstairs.
“This will be your room – I hope you like it,” Reia smiled at me and left.
My own room was a smaller rectangular room, and my bed was in the left corner. A large CD player occupied the end of the bed, and there was another bookshelf in the right corner. The room itself was a light cream colour, a good choice. The corner the bed sat up against was actually a large window, starting at about waist height until it reached the ceiling. Not a bad set up, really.
Jake came up with my small bag, which I took from him politely.
“So, do you like it?” He gestured to the room. I nodded and gave him my most charming smile.
“We’ll be going out in a minute to get you some new clothes, so when you’re ready you can come downstairs.” He disappeared out the door.
I knew Sapphire wasn’t going to look at my room; she knew me too well to do that – she knew it just annoyed me when people invaded my personal space.
I wondered mildly if Jake and his wife knew my birthday was tomorrow; I supposed they had seen it on the adoption papers.
I didn’t particularly care about material wealth as such – more the influence that attends it – so birthdays were a bit pointless to me. However, I liked the attention I received on that day, so it was easy to be excited.
“I’m ready,” I presented myself downstairs half a minute later. Jake looked at me in disdain.
“Right, new clothes first. And perhaps a haircut too?” I nodded. Sapphire wasn’t much longer, looking just as ragged as me from years of orphan neglect, and together we were driven off.

When we finished our shopping spree, the day was nearly gone. I wore my new favourite clothes, a pair of navy jeans and a tight green tank top that matched my eyes. Sapphire wore a baby pink dress that fell to her knees. It was a bit too girly for my tastes, but then I always knew she was a bit of a softie.
As we drove home, I looked through the rest of my new things. There were essential items such as a toothbrush and hairbrush, as well as a few books. I gave up reading in the dark and simply looked out the window as the streetlights flashed by in a blur. I became drowsy, but forced myself to stay awake until we got back to the house.
“I think you should go to bed now – we have a big day tomorrow,” Reia said, smiling at me sweetly.
“What do we have tomorrow?” I asked sleepily. I feigned ignorance, although I suspected it was to do with my birthday. I always pretended to know less than I really did so that people underestimated me.
“You’ll see,” Jake replied with a sly grin. I sighed dramatically and went to my new room. It was strange to know that I lived here now. I can’t be missing the orphanage – can I? I asked myself. I suspected I simply missed being able to pick on the orphans.
Getting into my new pyjamas, I sighed again. Life was much too boring. At that thought, I smiled at the ceiling, and heard the glass on my bedside table shatter.

I was woken up at midnight by a new feeling. It was as if something had happened; something important.
I looked at the clock on the opposite wall. It read 12.07. I’m eleven – finally! I thought with a tired smile. Suddenly, there was a bang against my window. I looked out to see what it was, but there was nothing there. I sighed.
“I won’t be getting back to sleep tonight,” I said to myself quietly before putting on my favourite new clothes again.
I brushed my hair, making the coppery streaks catch the light.
Suddenly, there was another bang at the window, and I dropped the hairbrush with a curse. I looked out once again, and to my great surprise, there was a dark grey owl sitting on the windowsill outside. In its beak, it held a letter, and I opened the window to let it in. It hopped inside and dropped the letter in my hand before escaping back out the window.
I watched it as it became invisible against the sky before looking back down at the letter. It was addressed to me, so I turned it over, breaking the red seal, and opened the envelope. The red wax immediately disappeared, and I was taken aback. However, I was more interested with the letter itself. There were two pages, on which there was elegant handwriting. I began to read the first page.

'Dear Jet Black,

We are pleased to inform you that you have a place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.
Term begins as soon as you are enrolled. We await your owl eagerly.

Yours sincerely,

Headmaster Albus Dumbledore
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft & Wizardry.'

I was stunned; I’d always known I was special. I read it through twice more, wondering if my real last name was Black or not.
I took out the second piece of parchment and gave it a quick glance.

'Uniform
First year students will require
1.Three sets of plain work robes (black)
2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear
3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)
4. One winter cloak (black, silver fastenings)

Set Books
All students should have a copy of each of the following:
The Standard Book of Spells (Grade One) by Miranda Goshawk
A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot
Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling
A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch
One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore
Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander
The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble

Other Equipment
1 wand
1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)
1 set glass or crystal phials
1 telescope
1 set brass scales

Students may also bring an owl OR a cat OR a toad

PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICKS.'

I smiled slowly. I wondered whether Sapphire had a letter, too. However, before I could ponder this sudden turn of events any more, I heard a scream.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright, well this is a new project of mine and I'm not sure if anyone will like it. However, I thought I might as well submit this - no one knows where I live, after all.

Yes, Jet is a total bitch. She is a female version of a young Tom Riddle, what do you expect?

Please comment so I know whether anyone is interested at all!! Thanx!