It Fits

Wake up

"Scotty," Devon muttered into his little brother's ear.

"No...go 'way," Scott whimpered into his pillow, swatting uselessly in Devon's direction.

"C'mon, I made pancakes. They'll be getting cold soon," catching a flailing arm, he continued, "Not to mention, the presents might run away..."

"Presents?"

"It's Christmas, dumb-ass."

"Well why didn't you say so sooner?" Scott twisted his arm out of his brother's grip and hopped out of bed, nearly knocking Devon over in the process. Without so much as a glance, the younger teen took off running toward the door and quickly disappeared out it. Rolling his eyes, Devon followed at a significantly slower pace.

"I'll just pretend you said 'Gee, thanks Devi!' then."

"Don't care. It's present time."

Unsurprisingly, Scott was already sitting in front of the tree, practically foaming at the mouth. Devon felt himself smack his forehead.

"I'll get your damn food then."

"Yeah whatever," Scott shuffled through the gifts, looking for one in specific.

"What are you even doing?"

"Trying to find the latest Christmas sweater from Grandma."

"I...see. You can have mine," Devon said as he shuffled off for the kitchen.

"Figured," Scott giggled as he pulled out two squishy packages from the very back of the tree.

Finally returning to the living room, two plates of pancakes in hand, Devon found Scott on the floor, wrapped in a blanket and an...admittedly adorable Christmas sweater. But then again when was Scott -not- adorable?

"Sweeet," he said when he finally noticed Devon, making grabby hands for a plate. Carefully making his way down, Devon sat next to his little brother and handed him his plate. They ate in relative silence, watching the lights on the tree flicker.

Scott waited for Devon to finish so he could take the dishes to the kitchen. Checking over his shoulder, Devon dove a hand into his pocket, solely to calm his paranoid ideas that his gift had been left somewhere or stolen. Giving it a squeeze, the paper covering the small box gave a reassuring crinkle, and he was satisfied.

Scott returned from the kitchen, plopping down on the floor next to Devon. He pulled his blanket back on over himself, and threw some over Devon's lap.

"Why thank you," he said softly, smiling and pulling the blanket up to cover his hands.

"Pretty lights," Scott mumbled, head drifting over to land on his big brother's shoulder.

"Yeah...c'mere," Devon lifted the blankets off of them, and pulled Scott into his lap, who immediately snuggled in and flicked Devon's nose. He ignored it completely.

"Well, are you going to open presents or what?" Devon asked, picking up the nearest package that was marked 'Scott.'

Scott giggled in response, taking the package and picking at the paper carefully, he settled even further into Devon as he did so.

"A...Barbie? Since when am I a five year old girl??"

"Since always, babe."

"Thanks. Really. See if I give you your present, now."

"Aww, come on...I'll get your Barbie out of the packaging for you?"

"...deal," Scott lunged for a flat present wrapped in green and red striped paper. He handed it over to Devon, a huge grin on his face, and settled back into his lap. Devon cocked an eyebrow, but said nothing as he shredded the paper.

"Holy shit, Scotty..."

"Really? It's worthy of a 'holy shit?'"

"Fuck yes. This thing will live on the wall over my bed forever," Devon was smiling a big, stupid smile as he stared down at the collage Scott had obviously worked on for ages. He leaned over and pecked his cheek, Scott giggling and covering his red face while their eyes traveled over pictures from their childhood.

Devon snapped from his trance, and looked up at Scott. "Well, I've got something for you, too..."

"Really now," Scott rubbed his hands together and gave a short, evil laugh.

Devon carefully sat the collage aside, and leaned back so he could reach into his pocket and remove the tiny box. Scott looked incredibly confused as Devon set it in his open hand, but didn't ask.

Scott was busy inspecting the small box when he noticed Devon shifting and moving in closer, wrapping his arms around Scott's scrawny torso and holding him tightly against his chest.

Scott sucked in a breath, nervous for no particular reason, and tore the paper away. His brow furrowed as he examined the small fuzzy brown box, until he found a hinge, and realized he was holding it the wrong way. He turned it between his fingers, and snapped it open.

And just as quickly, it snapped shut as it landed on the floor, its contents already emptied into Scott's trembling hand.

And he could tell, with Devon's heart beating hard against his back, and his face buried nervously in Scott's neck, that this was no joke.

"Does it fit?" Devon asked, in a voice unfittingly small for him. His hand snaked up and took the tiny ring, slipping it onto Scott's ring finger.

Scott tried to answer, but felt his voice fail him. With a soft awkward giggle, he gave it another shot.

"Y-yeah - it fits."