Bording School

Part 1 of 2

Gerard walked down the hallway as fast as he could. Running wasn’t allowed, but speed-walking was. The hallway was completely empty. He turned and opened the door to his room, and was a bit surprised by seeing his roommate there.

“Frank,” he said as he quickly walked over to his desk and searched through the drawers. “What’re you doing here? Why aren’t you downstairs yet?” Gerard finally found his latest paper with a big, fat A on it, before he turned and looked at Frank as he waited for an answer.

“Oh, I’ll be down in a little bit.” Frank looked down at the book in his lap, before he shifted around on his bed a little. “I just wanted to finish my homework.”

“Oh,” Gerard said and walked over to the doorway. “Well, the parents have started to arrive.” Frank looked up at Gerard with an empty look in his eyes.

“Well, my parents called a little while ago and said there were delayed,” Frank said as he looked around the room.

“Oh, okay. I’ll see you at the dinner tonight, then.” Gerard turned and walked out the doorway. He walked down the hallway, and when he made it to the stairs, he heard the door softly close. He looked down the hall, but he didn’t see Frank. He shrugged before he descended the stairs.

---------------------------------------------

“Hey Mikes!” Mikey looked over his shoulder to see his brother arriving back at his side.

“Hey. They’re not here yet.” Mikey looked back towards the entrance, seeing more and more parents coming through the open doors. “So, you found your pride and joy?” Gerard frowned a little and turned his head to look at his brother. When he saw Mikey’s expressionless face, he remembered the piece of paper in his hands.

“Yeah,” he said and looked down at it. He smiled shortly. When he looked up again, he immediately spotted his parents. He lifted a hand in the air and waved at them, but Mikey was already walking towards them. They spotted him first. They smiled and hugged each other, and Gerard slowly came up behind Mikey. “Hey,” he said.

“Hi son,” his dad said and patted his shoulder. He looked over at his mom, who smiled at him before wrapping her arm around his shoulders.

“Hello, Gerard. How are you?”

“I’m well, mother.” He looked over at his dad, before he looked down at the piece of paper in his hands.

“And how are you, Michael?” Gerard looked up at his dad with a saddened look.

“Very well, father.” Mikey smiled proud.

“I assume your grades have not changed.”

“Nothing but A’s, father.” Gerard looked down. He felt neglected. Ignored. He looked over to his side and looked at some of the other kids with their parents. Some of them were actually smiling. Genuinely happy to see their parents.

“And how about you, Gerard?” Gerard turned his head back and looked at his dad. He was looking less proud at Gerard than he looked at Mikey.

“Better, thank you.” He looked down at the piece of paper, before looking up at his dad and handing it to him. “Just got my first A a couple of days ago.” Gerard tried sounding proud, but he still sounded insecure. His dad took his assignment – which he was quite proud of – and looked it over.

“Well done, Gerard.” Gerard smiled slightly and looked hopeful up at his dad. He hoped for more praise. “Continue this in all your classes, and you might reach Michael’s level.” His dad was smiling at him, but Gerard had a hard time smiling back.

“Hello.” Gerard’s eyes shot to his right. Their principal was standing next to them. “Mr. And Mrs. Way, I presume,” he said and held out a hand for Mr. Way to shake.

-----------------------------------

“Fuck. My. Parents!” Gerard said after he’d closed the door. He dragged his feet across the floor and threw himself on his bed. I lied with his eyes closed as he tried to lower his blood pressure.

“No, thanks,” Frank said, and when Gerard turned his head and looked at him, he couldn’t help but laugh at Frank’s screwed up face. Frank laughed with him. Gerard’s body slowly relaxed, and he loosened his tie.

“So, when are your parents getting here?” Gerard unbuttoned the first two buttons of his dress shirt, before he let his arm fall onto the bed with his hand dangling over the side. He breathed slowly. His pulse started to slow down. When Frank didn’t answer, Gerard frowned and looked over at him. Frank was staring intensely into his book, and Gerard wondered if Frank had heard him at all.

“They got stuck in an airport somewhere,” Frank mumbled. Gerard couldn’t read the expression on his face.

“Oh,” Gerard said short. He stared at Frank’s soft facial features for a little while. “Lucky you.” Frank smiled and lifted his head to look at Gerard. He smiled a little wider, and Gerard smiled back softly. Frank then looked back down at his book – still smiling. Gerard stared at his soft, black hair hanging down in front of his face, and his smile widened a little. Then he frowned. “So you won’t be at the dinner tonight?” Frank lifted his head a little, but he didn’t look at Gerard. Gerard stared at the bit of hair, as it hit Frank’s cheek and swiped across it.

“No,” Frank said softly, and then looked down at his book again.

“Then you should come eat with me and my parents.” Gerard lifted his gaze and stared hard at their joined bulletin board. “And my brother.” He looked back down at Frank, who was looking at him through his black hair. He looked suspicious. Gerard sighed. “Please?” Frank raised his eyebrows. “Don’t let me suffer alone.” Gerard did all he could to pull off his puppy-dog-eyes, but the thought of his family sitting in front of him made it hard. Frank laughed. “Oh, come on! Please?” Gerard rolled off his bed, got on his knees and crossed the small distance between his bed and Frank’s. “I beg of you, please?” He folded his hands in front of his face and leaned his nose on his fingers, bashing his eyelashes at Frank. Frank only stared back.

“I’m not going on a kamikaze mission with you.” Gerard smirked behind his folded hands, but he kept bashing his eyelashes.

“Please, Frankie?” Gerard slid closer to Frank and placed his elbows on the madras. “You’re my only hope,” he said softly and a bit overdramatic. They were all forced to take drama on their third semester, and Gerard still loved mocking it. Frank rolled his eyes.

“Only if you promise that I won’t have to talk more than strictly necessary.” Gerard smiled wide. “AND if they start interrogating me, you will save my ass faster than a speeding bullet!” Gerard laughed, and when Frank laughed with him, he threw his arms around the younger one.

“Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!” Frank patted Gerard’s back, and Gerard went back to sit on the floor. “I promise it’ll be fine. I’ll talk with you the entire time, so they won’t even get a single word in.” Frank shook his head, but kept smiling. Gerard got up from the floor and went back to lie on his bed. “Just remember to talk properly. My parents have a stick up their asses.” Frank laughed out loud, and looked back down at his book.

---------------------------------

“Gerard, you finally decided to join us.” Gerard smiled vaguely at his dad, before he turned to make sure Frank had followed him all the way downstairs. Frank smiled awkwardly at Gerard.

“Mother, father,” Gerard said as he grabbed Frank’s shoulder and turned to look at his parents. “This is my roommate, Francis.” Frank closed his eyes for a short while at the sound of his real name, before he pulled off a fake smile and reached his hand towards Gerard’s parents.

“Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Way. Nice to meet you.” Gerard’s mom was the first to shake his hand. Frank’s smile went a little more genuine, but it faded when Gerard’s dad took a firm and hard grip of his hand and squeezed it.

“Francis’ parents were not able to make it tonight, so I invited him to dine with us. I hope it’s of no bother.” Gerard looked hopeful at his dad. Even though he knew he wouldn’t say no, he wasn’t sure whether his dad would scowl at him for not mentioning it earlier.

“It is of no bother at all. You are welcome to join us, Francis.” His father didn’t even look at Gerard, so he sighed inaudibly in relief. “I assume you know Gerard’s brother, Michael,” Gerard’s dad said and held his hand towards Mikey.

“Yes, we have met.” Mikey and Frank nodded at each other.

“Now that we are all here, I suggest we go find our table.” Gerard’s dad held his arm towards his wife, who lightly placed her hand on his forearm. Gerard and Mikey had earlier been told where to sit with their parents, and of course there were only four seats at the table. Gerard and Frank were the only ones who didn’t sit down.

“I will go find chair for Francis.” Gerard said and caught Frank’s slightly terrified eyes staring at him. “Francis, you should go to the kitchen and find some tableware.” Frank looked a little relieved, and he quickly followed Gerard out of the dining hall. Gerard grabbed a chair from the corner and whispered a ‘sorry’ to Frank, before he went back towards the table as Frank went towards the kitchen.

“We are expecting a rather large profit this year, which actually came as a bit of a surprise taken the current financial crisis.” Mikey looked at his dad with wide eyes, and he seemed genuinely interested as his dad told about his business, but Gerard knew it was all a façade to please their dad. Gerard wasn’t one for selling his soul like that. Gerard put the chair down between his and Mikey’s. He assumed it would be the safest place for Frank to sit. Gerard moved his chair and tableware to make more room for Frank, while Mikey didn’t budge. Gerard scowled at him shortly, before he sat down. Frank soon showed up and sat down in the empty chair. Gerard’s dad didn’t wait a second before questioning Frank. “So, Francis.” Frank looked up. Gerard saw the flash of fear that went through his eyes for a split-second, before it was replaced by a polite, questioning look. “What semester are you currently on?” Frank glanced over at Gerard, before answering.

“I am on my second, sir.” Frank looked down to lay his fork and knife perfectly next to his plate.

“Really? Then you must be a year younger than Michael.” Frank looked up at Gerard’s dad, before glancing over at Mikey and giving him a short smile. Mikey didn’t smile back. Gerard couldn’t even look at his brother.

“Yes, sir.” Frank glanced over at Gerard, but Gerard was scowling at the ugly ornament in the center of the round table.

“What does your father work as?” Frank stared at Mr. Way for a few silent seconds, before answering.

“He is an investment banker.” Gerard’s dad actually looked a bit impressed.

“Interesting. Will you be joining him when you graduate?” Gerard finally looked away from the ornament, but instead of seeing Frank’s eyes, which were obviously crying for help, he looked up at his dad.

“I am not sure of that yet, sir.” Frank sounded tense, and he kicked Gerard’s leg to get his attention. When Gerard finally looked at him, Frank was scowling at him.

“How are your grades?” Gerard wanted to roll his eyes, but managed to keep them still.

“They are great, actually,” Gerard said as an attempt to save Frank from his dad’s interrogation. When his dad looked at him, Gerard continued. “Sometimes he even helps me.” Gerard’s dad raised his eyebrows in surprise and perhaps also disapproval, but lowered them before he looked over at Frank.

“Then perhaps that is why Gerard’s grades have gotten better.” Gerard went back to scowling at the ugly ornament. Frank didn’t answer.