It's Our Time to Shine

Brush Your Teeth, My Love.

“Hey, what was all that about ‘we’ll see about that’?”, Bert asked in a curious tone, now sitting down in the living room’s sofa.
“Uhm, nothing. Just a little girl talk”, I explained, trying to avoid talking more about it.
“Oh, okay.”
“So, what have you actually told you mom about me?”, I then asked.
“What do you mean? Like, I’ve only told her how awesome and what an amazing person you are, and that I really care about you. You’re special to me, to all of us. What’s more to say?”, he smiled.

I felt almost ashamed then, putting Bert through the third-degree like that.
Maybe all the things he had told Mrs. McCracken weren’t as serious as she wanted it to sound like?

“I'm sorry, Bert. I didn’t mean to question you like that. I’m sorry…”
“Don’t be”, he said, getting up from the sofa and wrapping his arms around me while embracing me.
The scent of his hair and his body odor, being sweet and sweaty both combined at the same time, was a combination I’d known to cherish to the fullest.

“I’mma go to bed now, okay? But you can stay up if you wanna.”
“No, I think I’ll go to bed too. It’s getting late and I don’t want to sleep through the whole day tomorrow”, I responded, thinking of all the things I needed to tomorrow, things such as doing the laundry.
“Oh, okay. You sure you’re gonna be all right sleeping alone tonight, like, without me? Mom’s pretty uptight about girl-on-by in bed, you know”, Bert grinned suspiciously, but blew it off with a sweet laugh.
“No, I’m fine. But thank you, though.”
“Okay”, he smiled, saying good night as he headed upstairs.

As I saw Bert heading up the stairs, I started thinking about that I should've asked him about Kate.
I still had no idea who she were, not even if she still was around here.
But now, being alone in the living room while wondering if I was going to go to bed myself, I remembered Mrs. McCracken telling us earlier that the last person who was in the living room was the person that needed to turn the lights off.
And since I was that person, I began walking around in the house, trying to find lights to turn off.
When the living room was completely dark, I found my way upstairs.

I could hear the water in the bathroom running, hearing Bert humming inside.
Before I realized the door was half-closed, he suddenly peeked out while apparently brushing his teeth.
“Hey”, he grinned, having some toothpaste around his mouth. “Wanna brush your teeth with me?”
“Oh, uhm, yeah. Sure”, I responded smiling, heading into the guest room where I was going to spend the night before getting my tooth brush and entering the bathroom.

The bathroom was very inviting with its white marble-coated floor and walls, seeing it reflect from the light from the roof as it blinded my now puffy red eyes.
“Fuck, I forgot my toothpaste. Can I borrow some from you?”, I asked.
“Yeah, totally”, Bert answered, handing me his Colgate Control toothpaste.
As we were brushing our teeth together, I was constantly trying not to spill and get foam all over my face like I always seemed to have while brushing my teeth.
As far as Bert went, he could’ve been taken for having rabies as his mouth now was covered with the toothpaste that had turned into foam.
I couldn’t stop giggling, now picture him as being a madman on his way to a wacky-house.

“What?”, he asked, pulling the toothbrush out of his mouth for a second before looking at me with a sweet smile upon his face.
“Nothing…”
“Come one, I can tell – something’s up. Is it because I’m brushing my teeth? ‘Cause I tell you, the foam’s gonna come eventually.”
“Yeah, I can see that”, I giggled, before I continued brushing my own teeth as non-messy as possible.

“Well, I’mma go to bed now”, he smiled, giving me a kiss on the cheek. “Good night, babe. Love you.”
“I love you too”, I replied, not really thinking about how those words seem to float so nicely as I said them.
I was still brushing my teeth now, letting the brush slide back and forth up and down, brushing away whatever that had gotten stuck between my teeth during the day.

As soon as I was done, I went out of the bathroom and headed down the hall.
“Good night”, Bert whispered, peeking from outside his room as he scratched his bare chest while wearing nothing but a black boxer.
“Good night”, I responded, seeing him shut the door quietly before I entered the guest room at the second door to the left down the hall.
The smell of newly-washed sheets in the room was tempting, making me want to crash down on the bed and just go to sleep.

The bed felt soft and the cool feeling of the sheets around my body was making me somewhat drowsy.
Now, I felt my eyelids becoming heavier and heavier to keep open as I closed my eyes, not being able to keep them open anymore, making me fall asleep.

Suddenly, without knowing how long I had been asleep, I heard footsteps outside my door.
As it slowly opened, I hid under the covers, afraid of what I now might see in the pitch dark room.
Nothing but a shadow revealed itself as the door was opened, only being shined upon by the hallway's dimmed light…
♠ ♠ ♠
aha! you thought you guys were gonna get a full description of who this kate person were, huh?
well, as for now, you're gonna have to hold on a little longer than that, my friends. ;D

well, what did you think of this update? good - bad? amazing - crappy?
it's up to you. (:

xo,
lina.