It's Our Time to Shine

Asking For Advice.

The stairs squeaked now, making ul all turn around as we saw Jepha, Quinn and Dan coming down.
“Well, boys, it was about time”, she said humoristically. “Come on, eat – the breakfast is getting cold.”
“Yeah, sorry, Mrs. McCracken. We were, uhm, occupied upstairs”, Jepha replied hesitating while scratching his tattooed neck.
“I’m sure you were.”

“Guys, you missed out big time! Lina just taught me n’ mom some Norwegian!”, Bert explained with a grin on his face.
“Awesome! What did you say, Lina?”, Dan asked while looking over at me.
“Oh, nothing special. Just some basic sentences like ‘how do you do’ and stuff. Nothing more.”
“Hah, you should’ve heard her”, Bert laughed before continuing. “Like, if you’re saying you have a good day in Norwegian, you’re actually saying you’re having a ‘bra’ day. And also…”

And that was as much as I bothered paying attention to. He kept going on and on about how the Norwegian s pronounce our language, this to my great boredom.
Jepha, Quinn and Dan just sat there, eager to listen as they all were laughing at what Bert’s explanation.
I gazed over at the kitchen, spotting Mrs. McCracken standing by the counter.
As I was about to look in another direction, she suddenly signalized for me to come over, making me come towards her.

“Boys are something to themselves, aren’t they, sweetie?”, she smiled as I entered the kitchen.
“Yeah, they are. Especially those four”, I said, rolling my eyes with a giggle.
“Oh, sweetie, while I have you here, there’s been something I’ve been meaning to ask you. Would you mind helping me a little?”, she then said, drying her wet hands with a towel.
“Of course!”
“Well, I’m planning on going to church in about half an hour and I have nothing to wear.
So I thought maybe you could help me a little, seeing you being a young, bright lady.”
“Yeah, it would be my pleasure, Mrs. McCracken. What did you have in mind?”, I asked, looking at her with a smile.

“Well, ever since my daughters, Robert’s sisters; Melanie, Rachel and Katie moved away from home, I haven’t really been able to update myself on the female fashion side.
So therefore, I was wondering if you maybe could help me?”
“As said, of course I’ll help you. No problem.”
“Oh, thank you so much! I suppose you’re wondering what it is?”
“That would be a good start of solving your problem”, I answered while smiling at Mrs. McCracken.

“You see, since I’m going to church and I would like to look at my best, would you mind helping me find some clothes I could wear?”
“Yes, no problem at all.”
“Oh, splendid. Let’s go upstairs and roam through my wardrobe”, the then said enthusiastically, making us both head upstairs while Bert still was explaining Norwegian to the other guys, not noticing us at all.

As we got upstairs, Mrs. McCracken led me to hers and Mr. McCracken’s room where she opened her wardrobe closet.
“Well, I am completely hopeless when it comes to fashion, so I’m counting on you”, she giggled.
“Okay, let me see…”
I looked inside the wardrobe, seeing nothing but plain and dreary clothing which would make any fashion designer weep.
Suddenly, I came across a pretty nice blouse which I think would’ve been nice on Mrs. McCracken, so I took it out of its hanger and handed it to her before I continued my search for appropriate Sunday church clothing.

She didn’t say a word as I was handing her clothes, she just took them in her arms as she was waiting for me to find more.
At last I found a skirt which I thought would look good to the red blouse and gave it to her.
“Well, I think that clothing combined together will look good.”
“Oh, lovely! I’ll go and try them on right away. Will you wait for me?”, Mrs. McCracken asked.
“Yeah, I’ll be here”, I responded before seeing her enter the bathroom across the bedroom.

After a couple of minutes, she came outside, fully dressed in the clothes I’d suggested her to wear.
“What do you think?”, she said, twirling around and letting me see her clothing from all angles.
“Actually, I think you look very good.”
“Are you sure?”
“Yes, I mean it. You should definitely wear that outfit to church”, I smiled.
I wasn’t lying, either.

“Very well, then it’s settled. Thank you so much for your help, sweetheart”, Mrs. McCracken replied, giving me a kiss on the cheek. “Go and sit down by the table downstairs. I’ll be right with you.”
“Okay”, I said before I headed down to the living room where the others were.
There, I saw that Bert still was telling the guys about what I’d learned him in Norwegian.

“Hey, there you are! Where were you?”, he asked, looking at me with a smile.
“Just upstairs helping your mother find some clothes to wear to church today”, I answered as I sat down next to him by the dinner table.
“So, Lina – are you having a ‘bra’ day today?”, Quinn said, grinning like an idiot.
“No, you moron. Remember we were supposed to use ‘god’, like, ‘guud’ instead of ‘bra’? Man, you’re such a sucker when it comes to Norwegian”, Jepha chuckled, followed by Dan’s laughter.
“Whatever. It’s still a funny language”, Quinn précised before Mrs. McCracken came and joined us.
“Haven’t you started eating yet?”
“No, not yet”, Bert answered, giving his mother a sweet smile.
“Well, come on now, before it gets cold.”

Again, there was complete silence around the dinner table.
No one spoke a word, except when something needed to be passed to you across the table.
But other than that, nothing.
I occasionally gazed over at Bert who was sitting to my right to see what he was doing.
I saw him, from the corner of my eye, that all he did was to look at me with a smile between every mouthful he took…
♠ ♠ ♠
it's so weird to write about mrs. mccracken, i think.
she's a person who i don't really know that much about, but still, she's a very important character in this story.
so, yeah; did you like the update, guys? (:

okay, so now over to an experience i'd like to share with all of you readers.
i was in a car crash last night. it was horrible and so beyond terrifying.
we were driving in the middle of the woods when the car suddenly slipped because of the snowy, icy road.
we crashed in a tree at exactly 2:22 am.
neither one of us got hurt, but all five of us got pretty shaken up.
later, at 3:00 am sharp, we crashed again. this time, in a high road fence.
the car didn't get that much of a damage in either one of the crashes, but still; it was a pretty horrifying.
i'm fine, though. just a really creepy experience which made me think that life's short.
live one day at a time and live life to the fullest extent.

xo,
lina.