It's Our Time to Shine

Not Dreaming Now of Going Nowhere.

“You ready to go upstairs again?”, Bert asked, looking at me with a smile upon his face as he stood there by the door to the laundry room while carrying his basket full of newly-washed clothes.
“Yep”, I responded, taking my own basket of clothes before following him up the stairs.

Upstairs in the living room, there was a little note lying on the dining table.
“It’s from mom”, Bert said, picking up the note before reading:

“Hello, sweethearts. I hope you managed to figure out how to function the washing machine.
When you are done, go outside and hang your clothing up in the backyard. The weather is lovely.

Love,
mom.”


As Bert and I stepped outside and headed to the backyard, the sunshine immediately burned my face.
The weather today was actually nice with the cloudless sky and the 80 Fahrenheit temperature.
“It’s right around there corner”, he smiled, guiding me to where we were going to hang up our clothes.

The garden was behind the house, surrounded by a 9 feet high fence.
The area couldn’t have been any bigger than 32x32 feet and there were white, small Sego Lilly flowers all around the side of the fence.

“You comin´?”, Bert asked, looking at me with a curios look as he put down his basket of clothes on the green grass.
“Oh, yeah! I’m coming…”
“What’re you thinking about?”
“What?”
I was now trying to focus on the conversation he was trying to have with me.
I lost my concentration.

“I was just wondering what you were thinking about ‘cause you always have that cute face you always have when you’re thinking about something”, he giggled.
His head was turned to the side as he was waiting for me to respond.
The pale skin complexion of his face was glowing in the bright sunshine and his hair seemed somewhat greasy as if he hadn’t washed it in days.
Of course, he hadn’t, but it didn’t matter.
He was Bert. No other apology needed.

“What I’m thinking about?”, I repeated, raising my eyebrows while hiding a smile.
“Yeah, what you’re thinking about. God, you’re really out driftin´, aren’t you?”
He was laughing and his teeth were showing as he grinned between every squeaky giggle he made.

“Yeah…”, I started. “I like to take a minute or two just to let myself go for a while.”
“Okay, but don’t drift too far away. I like having you around here.”
Once again, I hid a smile as I started hanging up my soaking wet clothes, taking one clothing at a time and hung them up with a clothespin.

“It’s a nice day today. I was thinkin´ that after I’d shown you around here, I could maybe take you to the park? Like, if you want?”, Bert said peering, blocking the sun with his hand.
“Sure! That sounds nice.”
“Awesome!”

We didn’t say a thing to each other as we continued hanging up our clothes.
We just enjoyed each other’s company in silence while hearing the birds’ harmonic twitters occasionally being heard in the trees around us.

“What’s Norway like?”
“What?”
“What’s Norway like?”, he repeated, looking at me before rubbing his face awkwardly, but yet so cute that he looked like a sleepy 3-year-old.
“I saw a bit of it when me n’ the guys played at The Hove Festival in June, but that hardly counts. So tell me, babe – I wanna know about your home country.”

“Well”, I started. “I don’t really know what to say. Norway’s a small country with less than 5 million inhabitants. The nature, though, is beautiful and that’s what I love most about it. There are mountains and valleys stretching high up to the sky, and the waterfalls and fjords must be one of the greatest sights I’ve ever seen.”
“Man, that sounds like one hell of a kickass country”, Bert said excited as het lit a cigarette.
“Yeah, it really is. Do you know what a fjord is, by the way?”

“Yeah, or… I’ve heard about it before, but I’m not what it is. Has it something to do with water since you mentioned it along with waterfalls?”
“Yes, it does. A fjord is a long, narrow entrance with steep sides that’s created in a valley carved by glacier activity that’s been going on for thousands of years”, I explained, feeling proud for knowing all this.
Thank God I paid attention in geology class last year.

“Wow, that’s fuckin´ rad. Norway sounds awesome.”
“Yeah, it really is… I love the surroundings, but I hate most of the people, especially the ones in my own town, Halden.”
“Why – what about them?”, Bert asked, sitting down by the small table next to the garden group to the house.
“The people are just so stuck-up, so ignorant and so fucking inconsiderate. I really hate them.”

“Hah, it’s just like hearing myself talking about how much I hate the people here in Orem. I guess we’re kind of alike despite our differences, right?”
“I guess we are”, I responded smiling before I let my eyes wander around the garden.
I suddenly jumped as I heard a ring tone buzzing from Bert’s pocket.
“Oh, it’s Quinn”, he said before answering his silvery gray iPhone. “Hey, Quinn – what’s up?”

I only heard a low voice coming from the phone as Bert kept on talking to him.
“Dude, it’s okay. Don’t worry about it, we’re cool. Where the fuck are you, anyway – over there? Yeah, okay. Me n’ Lina’s just done some laundry and we’re planning on hittin´ town later, just to show her around. Great, talk to you later – bye.”

“Was that Quinn?”, I asked after Bert hung up. Even though I knew he’d just talked to Quinn, I somehow needed a conferment.
“Yeah. He and the guys were out rollerblading as they said they would.”
“Oh, okay. Where are they now?”
“Downtown somewhere, near the old skating ramp at the abandoned parking lot.”

“Oh…”
“You don’t know where that is, do you?”, he laughed squealing.
“No, I don’t.”
I had to smile.
“Come on, I’ll show you. I’ll show you town right now.”
“Really? Now?”
“Yeah, come on!”, Bert said, taking my hand with a smile as he dragged me up from the chair and started heading towards the front of the house.

As we eagerly walked to the main entrance, he gave me a look between his shy smiles that said more than a thousand words could.
The warmth of his hand carefully holding mine gave me a feeling of assurance.
Assurance that I had nothing to fear. This was going to be the best day ever…
♠ ♠ ♠
long updates are fun at the moment. : D
and, yep; the so-called 'friendship', ehem, between lina and bert is getting pretty tight.
-wiggles eyebrows-.
stay tuned, guys. ;D

xo,
lina.