It's Our Time to Shine

Catch Me.

Bert and I were still sitting under the abandoned bus shed, waiting for the rain to stop pouring down from the sky while keeping our silence.

“We’ll just stay here ‘til the rain’s over, yeah?”, he said with a raspy voice, looking at me as he smiled while having a smoke at the corner of his mouth.
“Yeah, sure. As long as we’re dry, this place is just fine”, I responded, again pressing my cheek against the hoodie that I borrowed from Bert.
“You really like that hoodie, don’t you?”
“Yeah… It’s nice”, I blushed.

“It’s my favorite one. Hah, I just love it. You can have it if you wanna.”
“What? No, no way. I can’t. I mean, it’s your favorite. No.”
“No, fuck that – take it. I want you to have it”, he smiled, inhaling his smoke before wiping his stuffy nose with his sleeve.
“Do you really mean it?”
“Yeah, take it! Besides, the hoodie looks nicer on you than it does on me.”
“Thank you so much, Bert!”

I could feel the excitement in my voice as I once more pressed my cheek against the hoodie while giving him a grateful look.

“No problem. It’s good to see you smile like that, babe”, he said, gently brushing his hand against mine that was resting on the bench the both of us were sitting on.
‘Babe’? ‘Babe’. Why does he always call me that?
Despite the unanswered questions I had, I found it sweet of Bert to give me a nickname like that, so I blew it all off with a smile while thinking of the hoodie he’d just given me.
I loved it.

“Look – the sun’s coming again and the rain’s about to cave in”, Bert announced, looking up in the sky before throwing his cigarette on the wet pavement.
“Yeah, I thought it would never stop”, I added before I started to almost react to the sentence he’d said just a second ago; ‘good to see me smile like that’.
What was that supposed to mean – don’t I always smile like that, and especially the way I just did?

“Come on”, he then said, interrupting my thinking. “Let’s go before it starts to rain again. I’d hate to let that ruin our day.”
“Where are we going?”, I asked, following him as I wasn’t sure where we actually were going.
“Well, I mean, the weather’s kinda unpredictable at the moment, so whaddaya say we head straight down the park?”
“Yeah, sounds great.”
“So, what’re you waitin´ for?” We don’t have all day, well, technically we do – but, fuck, you know what I mean.

Bert was so cute when he stumbled in his words like that and he always hid his face in his own hands, giggling at his own silly way of being.
I just looked at him while shaking my head with a smile upon my face.
He was indeed silly. But that was just him.

“You’re weird”, I suddenly said, hiding a smile.
“You think? Well, look who’s talking”, Bert responded before he locked my head under his armpit and ruffling my hair.
I laughed uncontrollably, now pushing him away for then to start running ahead of his, trying not to laugh too much while running.
“Where’re you going? I’ll catch you!”

The small puddles in the street were splashing for each step I took while stepping into them, making my black Converse shoes once again soaking wet.

“Gotcha!”, Bert burst out, grabbing tightly, but not hard, around my left shoulder and made me stop as he dragged me towards him with my back against him.
He took his arms around me before swinging me from one side to the other while the both of us were laughing simultaneously.

“Man, I haven’t had this much fun with someone since, since, since… Never mind! Fuck, this was fun”, Bert giggled.
At that point, he made me wonder what he actually was about to say, before he now continued.
“Either way, this was sure as hell fun! Hey, look – there’s the park I was talkin´ about, you know, Scera Park. And look, there are kids there. We gotta go play with ‘em! Come on, Lina!”
♠ ♠ ♠
ahaha, bert and kids. <3
well, what can you do?
he sure as hell loves 'em. ;D

xo,
lina.