It's Our Time to Shine

Game Night.

“Hey, what about board games?”, Jepha suddenly suggested.
“I don’t know if we have any around here anymore, but I guess I can go have a look.”

After a couple of minutes of searching through drawers, shelves and God know what else, Bert finally found something that looked like a board game.

“Hey, what about this one? You up for it?”, he asked, pulling out an ancient version of last decade’s ‘Trivial Pursuit’ out of a shelf and held it up for us to see.
“Yeah, works for me”, Jepha responded, making Bert sit down in the sofa again before placing the board game on the middle of the table.

“Yellow and mellow, I’m that kind of fellow”, Quinn said humoristic as he took the yellow pawn, followed by me taking the black one, Dan the white, Bert the blue and Jepha the red one.
“Okay, so I don’t remember shit of this game, so someone’s gotta tell me what we’re suppose to do here,” Bert mumbled, taking the dice out of the box.
“Does anyone know….?”

There was complete silence around the sofa group as the guys were scratching their head, trying to remember the rules of the game.

“I do”, I replied. “I think I remember how to play.”
“Awesome! Tell us.”

I went over the rules with them and after a couple of practice rounds, we were al set to play for real.

“So, who wants to start?”
“Me”, Quinn said, placing his yellow pawn on the ‘start’ field before grabbing the dice and rolled it.
“Four!”, he burst out before moving the pawn four places forwards.
“Okay, hit me”, he then said, hinting for Bert to grab a question card and ask him.

”What is the highest still remaining building in the world called?”
“Fuck, I don’t know… The Empire State Building?”
“Correct.”
“Oh, really?”, Quinn asked excited.
“No, dumbass. Of course not.”
I had to laugh as Bert’s prank on him.

“Okay, Lina – your turn. Roll the dice.”
“Five!”, I said after rolling the dice before moving my black pawn five places forward.
”In which specific area is the ‘Pulitzer Prize’ awarded? 1. Swimming, 2. Journalism and literature, 3. BMX or 4. snowboarding?”, Bert read from the question card, making a weird face expression that signified that he really didn’t have a clue.
“Come on, Einstein. What’s the answer?”, Jepha asked while smiling encouraging at me.

I dwelled on it for a couple of seconds before I answered ‘Journalism and literature’.

“No fuckin´ way – that’s correct!”, Bert burst out after reading the question’s correct answer on the card he was holding up.

“Way to go, brainiac”, Quinn added with a grin on his face, making me blush.
“How the hell did you know that?”, Jepha asked while raising his eyebrows.
“I don’t know. I’m into journalism and literature, it fascinate me. And also, since I want to become a music journalist, I guess that knowing what the Pulitzer Prize is kinda comes natural”, I answered.
It was after all the truth.

“Dude, that is so cool.”
“Yeah, awesome”, Dan said, agreeing with Jepha.
“It’s your turn again, Lina”, Bert smiled. “Since you got the correct answer.”

I rolled the dice again, seeing I got a 2 before I moved my pawn two places forward.
”Who created the score for Tom Cruise’s role in ‘Mission Impossible’? 1. Danny Elfman, 2. Steven Spielberg, 3. George Lucas or 4. Quentin Tarantino?”

“Wow, I really have no idea”, I said. “I’m not even gonna try, so I’ll just answer ‘Quentin Tarantino’.”
“Sorry, babe, that’s incorrect. The correct answer is ‘1. Danny Elfman’”, Bert smiled.
“Haha, doesn’t matter. I had no idea anyway.”

“Okay, so now it’s my turn – give me the dice”, Jepha said with a smile, making me hand him the dice.
Ah, man – only two?!”
He reluctantly moved his pawn two places forward as Bert read him his question out loud.
“What kind of world famous contest is Paul Bocuse’s ‘Bocuse D’Or’?” 1. Cycling, 2. Singing, 3. Running or 4. Cooking?
“’Cooking’!”, he burst out, positive that he’d gotten the right answer.

“How’d you know that, Jeph?”, Bert asked after checking that the answer was correct.
“I used to be a chef before, you know”, he answered with a smirk on his face before once again rolling the dice.
”Who sang the title song for the film ‘The Crying Game’? Was it 1. George Michael, 2. Michael Jackson, 3. Boy George or 4. Madonna?”
“And you expect me to know that?”, Jepha complained.
“Hey, don’t hate the players – hate the game”, Bert giggled as he looked at him.

“’Madonna’”, he said, not even bothering to think.
“Incorrect.”
“What a shock”, Jepha said ironically before handing Dan the dice.
“Okay, guys – watch and be amazed”, Dan grinned while rolling the dice. “Hah, six! Told ya so.”

As he moved his pawn six places forward, Bert once again took a card out of the board game’s card holder and read the question out loud.
“Where is Mount Everest located?” 1. Russia, 2. India, 3. America, 4. Himalaya: Tibet and Nepal
“America! No, wait – Russia! Fuck, man, I don’t know. Can I get a hint or somethin´ since I rolled a 6 on the dice?”
“No”, Bert answered, holding the card even closer to his chest.
“Dude, I have no idea. I’ll answer… Himalaya! Yeah, Himalaya sounds good. I’ll stick to that one”, Dan finally said as he folded his hands, almost praying that it would be the correct answer.

“You saw it, didn’t you?”
“Saw what?”
“The answer, you cheater!”, Bert said.
“No, I didn’t”, he answered with a grin on his face.
“Okay, then. It’s on your conscious. It’s your turn again, by the way.”

Dan rolled the dice which shoved 5, making him move his pawn five places forward.

”What is the official language in China? 1. Cantonese, 2. Standard Mandarin, 3. Chinese, 4. Hakka?”
“’Chinese’, of course! That’s self-explanatory”, he answered cheeky.
“Nope, incorrect”, Bert said.
“What? Are you taking back at me now just ‘cause you though I was cheating, is that it?”
“No. You just answered incorrect.”
“Give me that”, Dan replied, taking the question card out of Bert’s hand.
“’Standard Mandarin’? What the hell is ‘Standard Mandarin’?!”
“Apparently the official language of China”, Jepha answered before bursting out into laughter.

It didn’t take long before we all were laughing.

“Okay, now it’s my turn”, Bert added, grabbing the dice as rolling it.
“Five! Fuck, yeah. Lina, read me a question.”
“Okay, here we go; During World War II, which Japanese cities were victims of the US nuclear bombs? 1. Tokyo and Osaka, 2. Yokohama and Nagoya, 3. Kobe and Kyoto, 4. Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

“Oh, fuck – that’s a hard one. Uhm, lemme think. They all sound so alike! But I remember something from Discovery Channel once. Yeah, I remember Nagasaki being mentioned, but I don’t know in which connection. No, fuck it, I’ll say Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I have nothing to lose.”
“Correct, Bert! Roll the dice again and I’ll give you another question…”

And so it went on. We rolled the dice, moved our pawns and answered questions as it became more and more late.
We didn’t bother keeping score, it wasn’t necessary because it was a contest – just a game.
It was fun.
♠ ♠ ♠
don't you just love board games? (((:
i sure do. ;D

xo,
lina.