It's Our Time to Shine

On the Search.

I headed inside the bathroom again, closing the door behind me, I began taking off my clothes.
The clothes felt sticky and clammy towards my body after I’d wore them in bed, and I looked like a mess as I saw myself in the mirror’s reflection.
There wasn’t much left of my make-up now, seeing the amount I had put on yesterday being smudged all over my face.
In addition to that, my hair couldn’t have looked worse. It looked bad as hell, total chaos.

The guys hadn’t said anything, not commenting on how awful I looked, not complaining on how my hair looked like a crow’s nest.
No matter how horrible and fucked up I might look like, they didn’t give a damn, neither one of them.
It was okay to look like shit. In fact, we all did. But we didn’t care.
It was just the five of us; me and The Used. And we just didn’t care about our looks around each other.

I stripped down to my nudity now, before I turned the knob to the small bathroom’s shower.
It took a while before cold water became warm, but as soon as it did, I went inside.
The hot water streamed down my naked body, giving me shivers. It was too hot.
I preferred cold showers, so I immediately turned the knob, feeling the water get cooler as I began shampooing my hair.

I took some shower gel, which apparently belonged to Bert according to the smell of it, and soaped my body in, now making the entire bathroom smell like warm summer rain; Bert’s scent.
I had to confess; I borrowed, like I had done this past month, the guys’ shower equipment whenever I took a shower.
But in my defense, they had told me every time that I was allowed to.
I never was much of a snitcher anyway.

As I washed out the rest of the conditioner that was in my hair, I got out of the shower and took a small towel which was hanging on the wall, and wrapped it around my body.
I felt fresh now, looking into the mirror, being new-washed and all.
I felt cleansed after putting on some eye make-up and making an attempt of drying my hair with the towel.
I failed. After using the towel, going over my hair with it several times, the hair was still almost soaking wet.

After the failed attempt, I began going through my red backpack, searching for the few clean clothes that was left inside it.
There weren’t many left, and I prayed to God that I could maybe wash a few of them at Bert’s mom.
Luckily, my prays must’ve been heard as I now found the last remaining fresh clothes at the bottom of my backpack; a pair of red skinny jeans and a black tee.

“Hey, there you are!”, a voice said as I came out of the bathroom.
It was Quinn, sitting in the sofa group with Jepha and Dan.
“There’s been an accident or somethin´ on the highway here, so we’re a bit delayed. But I’m sure we’ll be back on the road in no time”, he continued.
“Oh, okay”, I responded as I closed the bathroom door behind me.
“Where’s Bert, by the way?”, I then asked, noticing he wasn’t there.
“Talkin´ to his mom, tellin´ her we’re runnin´ a bit late.”
I smiled a little at Quinn’s accent, noticing how broad it actually was.

“Hey, you want a cup of tea? I’m just about to make some”, Jepha suddenly asked as he got up from where he was sitting.
“Yes, please.”
Just by the thought of it, I was now craving for the sweet taste of tea so bad.
“Do you have blackcurrant flavored tea? Or green or lemon for that matter?”, I later asked.
“Erm, I’m not sure. I’m positive I have green, but I’ll have a look for the blackcurrant and lemon”, he responded as he started going through drawers, trying to find the flavor that matched my inquiry.

“Want some help?”, I smiled, offering my assistance while looking over at him.
“Yeah, could ya? Man, I can’t find shit in here.”
“No worries, I’ll help you find it.”
“I know I have the blackcurrant tea here somewhere ‘cause I bought it for you last week.”
“What?”, I said in a low voice.
I couldn’t believe that Jepha actually had bothered buying me my favorite flavored tea, without even being told to.

“You really did that for me?”
“Yeah, of course. I mean, we’re the only ones drinking tea around here as us tea drinker have to stick together.”
I gave Jepha a big smile as I continued going through the kitchen’s drawers, trying to find the tea we were looking for.
“Found it!”, I burst out, spotting the tea box in a bottom drawer.
“Awesome. I’ll put on the water.”

“… Yeah, bye, mom. Love you too”, Bert said from the bunk beds, now hearing him coming closer and closer towards me and Jepha.
“Hey, guys, just talked to mom and she’s just started on the dinner. I told here we’d be there by 8 pm, which gives us a good half an hour.”
“Sounds good”, Quinn added from the sofa group. “What’re we havin´?”
“I don’t know. She mentioned something about slaughtering a cow and try n’ boil it. Whaddaya think about that, eyh, Jeph?”, Bert grinned, well knowing that he now was mocking Jepha’s vegetarism.
“Fuck you”, Jepha responded, giving him the finger.

“Cow? Like in beef?”, Quinn asked excited. ”’Cause I’d love a good beef!”
“No, asshole. I was just kidding. Geez.”, Bert sighed, rolling his eyes
“Seriously, what are we having?”
Jepha seemed a little irritated as he now was looking at him, waiting for an answer.
“I won’t tell you, try n’ guess.”
“Hell, no. You can keep your filthy cow shit to yourself. I ain’t gonna eat it.”
“Come on, tell us. ‘Cause I’m really into havin´ some fuckin´ cow right now!”, Quinn said in a whiny, yet funny voice.

“Please, Bert? Tell me?”, I asked, looking at him.
“Okay, Lina, since you asked that nicely, I’m gonna tell you.”
“Well…?”
Dan waited impatiently, sitting in the sofa with his feet up on the table.
“Pot-roast!”, Bert burst out in an excited and loud voice, making sure everyone heard what he said.
“Ah, man – I hate pot-roast!”
“Shut up, Jeph. Pot-roast rules”, Quinn said, taking a sip of his mineral bottled water.
“Yeah, and I’m pretty sure mom’ll make you somethin´ else, okay?”
“Okay, sounds cool.”

“You like pot-roast, right, Lina?”, Bert then asked as he slowly brushed his hand against my shoulder.
“Of course. I mean, look at me; I love all kinds of food”, I said in an ironic voice, well knowing that I was making fun of the way I looked.
I really loved pot-roast, though.
“Shut up, you look fuckin´ awesome. End of story.”

Bert’s words made me blush. I had always been making jokes about how I looked, but I had never really been defended by anyone like that before.
By that, it made me appreciate him even more than I already did, seeing him look at me like no one else had done before, giving me a smile that without words, told me everything I ever needed to hear...
♠ ♠ ♠
thank you all so far for the great comments, guys.
it really means a lot to me. <3
you know i love you, right? (:

oh, and while you're at it; check out my new
my chemical romance inspired one-shot if you're interested.
thanks in advance. :]

xo,
lina.