It's Our Time to Shine

No, I'm Not Scared.

“Let’s go inside”, Bert said, still having his eyes fixated on mine.
I followed him inside, seeing Jepha heading upstairs as I took off the hoodie.
“Here. And thanks for letting me borrow it.”
“No problem”, he responded, grabbing it with a smile before hanging it up on a knob in the entry.

“Hey, are you gonna go to bed now?”
“Yeah, I guess so”, I replied while choking a yawn.
“Oh, okay. Good night, then. I’ll see you in the morning”, Bert answered, embracing me with his arms before giving me a soft kiss on the cheek.
“Aren’t you going to bed too?”
“Sure. I just need to clean this mess up”, he explained, even though there wasn’t anything to clean up as far as I could see.

“Do you want some help?”
“No, it’s okay. Go to bed and get some rest. Good night, babe.”
“Okay. Good night, Bert”, I smiled, blushing while taking a last look at him.

As soon as I headed up stairs, Bert immediately started randomly tucking the sofa’s pillows, making sure they all were placed properly in each of the sofa’s corners.
I shook my head with a smile before I fetched my red backpack from my room and entered the bathroom.

‘Shit’, I said to myself when noticing that I needed to take a shower.
I didn’t want to take the risk of showering at 2 am for then maybe to wake up the whole house.
Instead, I thought of what I had done many times before when being in a situation like this one; wash my hair in the bathroom sink.
By that, I wouldn’t have to take off all of my clothes or waking anyone up with the running water’s loud noise from the shower.

So as I played a little with the thought, I took off my tee and turned on the water, letting it run a while before adjusting the temperature.
I spotted two simple cans of shampoo and conditioner on the top shelf next to the mirror, taking them down and placing them on the sink.
I stuck my head under the sink’s aquirt, making it wet, before taking a small amount of shampoo in my now soaking wet hair.

I did this procedure twice until I finished massaging my hair with some conditioner.
My back hurt as I stood bent over the sink and a few drops of water ran down my neck and found their way under my tee, making me shiver.
At that point, I wished I’d just simply taken a shower instead.

After a couple of minutes, I was finally done and found a small towel hanging next to the sink which I tucked my hair in
My own reflection scared me as I looked in the mirror, seeing my mascara running down my cheeks like a black river.
This compelled me to once again stick my head under the sinks squirt as I splashed some water in my face while rubbing my eyes.

Clearly, that didn’t help as the mascara now was smudged even more around my eyes, making me look like a crying ghost.
I felt an enormous rage boiling inside of me, mainly fueled by the exhaustion that now was taking its toll on me.
All I wanted to do now was to go to bed and sleep.

I cursed loudly, taking some soap in my hands before rubbing my face while trying to remove the smudged mascara.
Finally. Oh, the wonders some soap and water could do on a person.
After I’d brushed my teeth, I put on my tee again and headed out of the bathroom and into the hallway.

“Hey! Oh, have you been in the shower? I didn’t hear you”, Bert suddenly said as I ran into him.
“Yeah, or, well – kinda. Not really. I washed my hair in the sink.”
“In the sink, eyh? Gotta try that one day”, he smirked.
“I bet I look awful. I’m not wearing any kind of make-up whatsoever”, I added, trying to laugh. I failed.
“Nah, I think you look great! I love natural-lookin´ chicks.”
I blushed, rubbing my neck as I tried to come up with something decent to say.
Luckily, Bert continued.

“So, you’re goin´ to bed now?”
“Uhm, yeah, I was thinking about it.”
“Oh, okay…”, he answered.
For a second there, I could’ve sworn he sounded disappointed.

“Well, good night. And sweet dreams!”
“You too”, I responded with a smile as I entered my room, closing the door behind me as I sat down on the bed.
‘Oh, my fucking God – I’m going to Japan tomorrow’, I said to myself, feeling my stomach turn.
I was really not looking forward to it at all.
Sure, Japan sounded amazing, but the traveling, not to mention the flight, was killing me.
I hit the lights off, making the nightstand the only object that gave light as I folded the towel that was tucked around my hair and placed it on my pillow before I lay down.
By doing that, it would prevent the pillow from getting soaked by my wet hair.

A headache was now sneaking up from the back of my neck, slowly making its way up to my skull.
I turned off the nightstand and found a suitable spot on the ceiling, resting my eyes there while trying to force myself to fall asleep.
I’d been using that tactic for years and failing each time.

As I for once was about to let myself drift away, a gentle knock was heard on my door before it opened. It was Bert.

“Hey, are you asleep?”
“No.”
“Good, ‘cause I was just wonderin´, uhm… Do you have your passport and everything like that ready for tomorrow?”

The first thing that hit me was; ‘what a stupid question’.
He could’ve just asked me earlier today.
By doing that now, in the middle of the night, he made me believe that he only used this as an excuse for coming into my room.
But I was tired – common sense never co-operated with me then.

“My passport? Yeah, sure – it’s in my backpack all packed and everything”, I answered, half-awake as I turned on the night stand.
“Good. Okay, sorry for disturbing you. Good night.”
As Bert was about to leave, I sighed without noticing it myself.

“Hey. What’s wrong?”, he asked, having one hand on the door knob while looking at me from the door.
“Oh, it’s nothing.”
“Come on – tell me. I know you all too well now to know that something’s up”, Bert said, letting go of the door, before walking towards me with a little smile upon his face.
“It’s just that… I’m thinking about tomorrow and the flight.”
“Yeah, what about it? Are you still scared?”
“Yeah, I hate flying.”

“There’s nothing to be afraid of”, he smiled, trying to comfort me as he sat down next to me in the bed.
“What’re you really afraid of that’s gonna happen?”
“If the plane crashes and plunges into the ocean, making the deep swallow it and leaving us all inside to drown as we sink to the ocean floor.”
I couldn’t stop convincing myself that that was going to happen.

“Lina, hey, listen to me – what are the odds for something like that to happen? I mean, they’re microscopic! Don’t worry.”
I didn’t respond. As much as I wanted to believe in him, Bert just didn’t manage to convince me.
But as I began thinking about it, what was really the odds of something like that to happen?
It was after all pretty dramatic and could be even more unlikely to actually happen.

“You’re right”, I said, rolling my eyes at my own stupidity.
I needed to stop worrying.
“Awesome. So everything’s okay now?”
“Yes.”
“Great! Now give me a kissy kiss before I go to bed”, Bert giggled, kissing me on the cheek and giving me a wet sloppy kiss right below my left eye.

“Good night, Bert”, I laughed while wiping off his saliva on my left cheek.
“Good night to you too”, he responded with a big smile upon his face as he closed the door behind him.
Right after he’d left, I turned off the night stand, leaving the room in total darkness.
I was going to let myself fall asleep now.
I didn’t fail this time…
♠ ♠ ♠
people, people, people.
i have one word for you and one word only;
COMMENT.

okay?
ahaha, okay. ;D
i love you guys. (:

xo,
lina.