It's Our Time to Shine

Sushi.

“So, where do we go to get that luggage control?”, Dan asked as he looked down the terminal to see if he could spot a sign.
“I think it’s over there, down the hall to the left”, Quinn answered.
“Yeah, okay – I see it now. Wanna head down there just to get it over with?”
“Sure, why not – we’ll eat afterwards.”

We all headed down the terminal and to the right, we were met by security guards who placed people’s hand luggage on a baggage belt where the luggage went through a small control station.

“Good morning, miss. Please place your hand luggage on the baggage belt there”, a security guard said, looking at me with a hardly noticeable smile.
I did as he said and saw my red backpack being rolled away down the baggage belt where it ended up at the end of the control station.
“All clear”, another security guard said, this one a female who took my backpack off of baggage belt and handed it to me with a formal nod.
The other guys did the same thing with their backpacks and bags, and soon we were all set.

“So, where do we wanna eat, guys?”, Quinn asked.
“What about that place over there?”, Jepha suggested, pointing at a sushi bar across the terminal.
“Dude – sushi?”, Bert complained, clearly not to keen on the suggestion.
“Yeah, why not?”
“’Cause it’s dead fish”, Quinn added while he and Dan were wrinkling their noses.
“But it’s great food”, Jepha continued.
“What do you say, Lina? Wanna go have some raw, icky and disgusting fish?”
“Sure, why not?”, I said, looking at Bert with a teasing smile.

“Awesome! Lina, you rock”, Jepha grinned, giving the other guys a smile of victory before he leaded the way to the sushi bar.
“Are we gonna order at the counter or is there a waiter around here?”, Dan asked as he looked around while trying to find someone who could help.
“I guess we’ll try the bar first.”

“Good morning. Is there anything I can get you?”, a Japanese woman asked with a smile.
If I didn’t know better, I would’ve thought that we already were in Japan and not still in Salt Lake by looking at all of the Japanese decorations that were in the sushi bar, not to mention the Japanese waiters and waitresses.

“Yeah, we’d like to order some sushi”, Bert said in a raspy voice while scratching his head.
“Here are the menus, Sir. Let me find you a table. Come with me, please.”
We all followed the waiter where she guided us to a six-seated table at the end of the bar.
“Just give me a sign when you are ready to order and I will be right with you”, the waitress said before leaving us.

We were all sitting by the table now, each looking at our menus while trying to figure out what to order.

“Okay, so what do we want?”, Bert mumbled, looking through his menu.
“I’m gonna go for the Futo Maki Roll”, Jepha said, closing his menu as he grinned.
“What’s that?”, Quinn asked.
“Basically just some fish – it’s a different kind of fish depending on where they make it, but it also contains cucumber, crab fish, and so on.”
“Oh, sounds okay. I’mma have that too.”
“Yeah, count me in”, Dan added.

“What do you want, Lina?”, Bert asked, looking over my left shoulder to see what I was looking at on my menu.
“I don’t know, it’s hard to decide. There are some many dishes to choose from.”
“Yeah, I know. Hey, whaddaya say we just take the same as Jepha, eyh? He’s into this kinda shit, so I bet he knows what’s best”, he smiled.
“Yeah, let’s do that.”

I really didn’t care which dish I was eating as long as it would ease my hunger.
Or, well, at least ny nervousness.

“Are we ready to order, then?”
“Yeah, do it ‘cause I’m starvin´”, Quinn said.

As Jepha raised his hand up in the air, the Japanese waitress immediately rushed towards us, almost running as she was carrying a little notebook with her.

“Are you ready to order now?”
“Yeah, we’ll have the Futo Maki Roll.”
“Oh, yes – a very popular dish. Good choice. What about beverage?”
“I’ll have some ice tea, green if you have. And you, guys?”
“Diet Coke”, Quinn said followed by Dan’s ‘me too’.
“I’ll have a Coke”, Bert said.
“And you, young lady?”, she asked while looking at me.
“Coke, please.”

“Okay, very good. Was that all?”
“Yep.”
“Thank you. Your dishes will arrive shortly.”
And as fast as the Japanese waitress had shown up, as quickly did she also disappear, now hurrying towards the bar again to serve some new-arrived guests that looked even hungrier than we were.

While the guys were chatting eagerly about something I didn’t take any interest in, I rested my hand on the table while seeing all the people passing by the terminal, rushing to whatever gate they were going to as they carrying their large amounts of luggage with them.
It was funny, that that I myself only had a bag, which now probably was inside the plane that was taking us to Japan, and a backpack that I carried as hand luggage.

Japan. I had forgotten about that.
Again that thought came creeping on haunting at the back of my head and gave me a headache while the nausea followed as well.
Knowing that in a couple of hours I would be trapped inside a huge, mechanic flying machine made of aluminum and steel and be locked inside there for an unknown amount of hours, was literary tearing me apart.

My adrenaline was starting to pump and I began feeling like I couldn’t catch my breath.
I was breathing heavily now – not loud, but loud enough to get noticed.

“Hey, are you okay?”, Bert asked in a calm voice, resting his hand on mine before slowly starting stroke it.
“Yeah, I’m okay.”
My bulged eyes and short breath said otherwise.
“Really? ‘Cause you don’t look like it.”

He was still stroking my hand, now looking me straight in the eyes while having a worried look upon his face.
Quinn, Jepha and Dan were still chatting with each other, not paying attention to what was going on.
Thank God.

“I… I’m fine. Really. I’m just, uhm, hungry. Yeah, hungry.
I was lying, but despite the fact that I was a terrible liar, I pulled it off with a fake smile.
“Okay, if you say so.”
He didn’t sound convinced at all as he let go of my hand and gave me an unsure smile.

“Hey, look – the food’s comin´”, Jepha added, making both Quinn and Dan stop talking.
“Wow, what was fast!”
“Yeah, what did you think, Quinn – that it would take time to cook the sushi?”, Jepha laughed while looking at him with a grin.
“Well, uhm, forget it. I’m fuckin´ hungry right now.”
I could see Quinn was blushing as he received his portion of raw fish, not cooked at all.

After a couple of minutes with analyzing the sushi, we all began eating.
Some of us less eager than others.

“So, guys – what do you think? Is sushi great or what?”
“It’s good. Really good, actually”, Bert replied, looking at Jepha while chewing on a piece of salmon which he almost had trouble swallowing.
It sounded like Quinn and Dan were enjoying the sushi too because they had both gone silent.

Now, we were just sitting there around the table and enjoying the meal.
For all I knew, sushi wasn't bad at all…
♠ ♠ ♠
sushi, sushi, sushi.
guys, if you haven't tried it yet; do it.
it's to die for. i love it. xD

xo,
lina.