It's Our Time to Shine

Boarding the Plane.

“Okay, if you’re that confident, I guess we’ll just have to see and find out who’s gonna get bitch-slapped or not”, Bert grinned.
“So you’ll play Rock, Paper & Scissors with me?”
“Bring it on. On three, okay?”
I nodded, now trying to figure out whether to use rock, paper or scissors.
I decided to go with rock.

“1-2-3 – pow!”
Paper. Bert chose paper and as far as I knew, paper beat rock.
“Hit me with your best shot”, I said, shutting my eyes tightly while turning my right cheek to the side.
It felt like years went by as I waited for him to slap me.
I just stood there, but no slap came my way.

I slowly opened one eye, looking at Bert while waiting for him to slap me.
I had, after all, lost the duel.
Then suddenly, without any warning signals, he lodged me under his armpit, like he had done yesterday when he ran after me, and ruffled my hair.

“I can’t slap you, you know that, right?”, he smiled as he let me go and gave me a quick hug.
I was blushing now. It didn’t feel right to not get slapped.
I lost the duel, I should’ve been slapped. Those were the rules.

“Ahaha, good one, Bert”, Jepha said with a smirk on his face.
“Oh, look – the line’s moving”, Quinn added as we all now took a couple of steps forward.
“Yeah, it’s 8:30 am now, so I guess the boarding control’s open”, Dan announced, looking at the giant clock that was hanging up against the wall down the terminal.

8:30 am. 8:30 am is half an hour away from 9:00 am which is the time the flight will take off and head towards Japan.
Again, that unbelievable feeling of my stomach turning upside down and getting eaten from the inside came creeping.
A feeling I knew all too well.

“Ah, finally. It’s us next!”, Quinn said, seeing that there were only two people in front of us now,
My heart was beating faster than the 24 cylinder engine of a 400 horse-powered automobile as we got closer to the boarding counter.
The thought of stepping inside the --- ton steel-mechanic machine with wings in a couple of minutes was driving me crazy.

“Your boarding cards, guys. We better get ‘em ready”, Jepha said as he took his one up from his shoulder bag.
“May I have your boarding cards, please?”, the woman who worked in the counter asked, showing us her Colgate white smile.
Jepha, who now was standing first in line, gave her his boarding card, before she tore off the end and gave it back.
She did the same with mine and the rest of the guys’ boarding cards as it was our turn, and before we knew it, we were all set to enter the tube tunnel on our way to board the plane.

I wasn’t able to walk straight and my eyes couldn’t focus as I nearly crashing into Jepha who was walking in front of me.

“Are you feelin´ alright, babe?”, Bert asked, putting his hand gently on my shoulder.
“Huh? Yeah. Fine. I- I’m fine. Just fine…”
“What the fuck – you’re cold-sweating. Hey, guys, wait up.”
“What’s he matter?”, Quinn said.
“I don’t know, Lina’s looking pale as hell and she’s cold-sweating. Do any of you have any Aspirin or somethin´?”, Bert then asked.

“Lina, are you okay? Guys, she looks like she’s about to faint.”
“What – seriously?”
They were all standing around me now to get a closer look.
“No, I’m fine. Just a little dizzy, that’s all”, I said, trying to convince both myself and the others that I actually was doing fine.

“Are you sure? ‘Cause I swear to you, I wouldn’t hesitate a second on taking you to the hospital”, Bert concluded, putting his hand on my back and stroking it gently.
“Yeah, totally”, Dan agreed while having a worried face expression.
“Thanks, guys”, I replied with an awkward smile. “But, really – I’m okay. I just always get a little light-headed when I’m about to get onboard a plane. I can’t help it.”

“Don’t you take, like, any kind of medication or drugs something for it?”, Jepha asked.
“No, never. I just bear with it.”
“Do you think you could try and bear with it this time too?”
Bert was now looking at me with a questionable look upon his face, an expression that almost looked dismal.

“Yeah, I guess so. I mean, the flight can’t take that long, can it?”
“About 16 hours with that one stop in Tokyo”, Jepha added, almost mumbling.
16 hours?!”, I repeated in a voice you could’ve taken for almost bursting into tears soon.
“Fuck, what’re we gonna do? We can’t take her with us into that plane. The poor girl’s gonna have a breakdown,”, Quinn said, feeling sorry for me as he looked at me with an understanding face.
“I don’t know. I have no idea what we’re gonna do”, Bert replied as he scratched the back of his head.

“Listen, I think I’m gonna be okay. Just give me some time first”, I suddenly said, taking a deep breath.
“Are you sure? We don’t wanna push you into something you don’t wanna do.”
“No, I wanna do this Bert. I just need to take really small steps.”
“Okay, good. That’s awesome.”
“Yeah, we’ll wait here with you until you’re ready”, Jepha smiled.

As we were standing there, waiting for me to prepare myself mentally, the people that had been in line behind us were now passing us and heading towards the plane’s entrance.
I took yet another deep breath before I felt ready to get onboard.

“Okay, I’m ready.”
“Are you sure?”, Bert asked, not convinced at all. He knew me all too well.
“Positive.”
I needed to get going. I couldn’t waste anymore of the guys’ valuable time.
They needed to be on that plane right now and as their so-called roadie, so did I.
“Okay, let’s go!”, Jepha exclaimed, eagerly walking towards the plane’s entrance followed by the rest of us.

My heart was pounding so hard at this point.
With every step I took down the tube, I became more and more short-breathed.
If I hadn't know better, this could've might as well been my dying moment…
♠ ♠ ♠
guys, guys, guys; where the hell are you? ;o
i miss you. like, you hardly ever comment. xD

xo,
lina.