It's Our Time to Shine

What A Beautiful Thing.

“What’re you thinkin´ about?”, Bert asked as I was looking out of the window.
He was still holding my hand that was resting peacefully on the arm rest between us.
“Trying to forget that we’re on an airplane 35 000 feet in the air and convincing myself that the possibility of crashing is equal zero”, I said ironically, almost whispering.
“Still scared, huh?”
“Terrified.”
I could now feel Bert squeezing my hand tightly.

“What if we order something hot to drink? Would that be nice?”
“Yeah, it would.”
He smiled at me before signalizing a stewardess to come.

“May I help you, Sir?”, she asked Bert as she came with a trolley that contained everything from absinthe to chocolate bars, now standing next to Jepha who was half asleep.
“Yeah, I’d like a cup of coffee – black – and, Lina, is it tea?”
“Yes. Green, please.”
“Make that two”, Jepha suddenly added, rubbing his puffy red eyes as he sat up in his seat and put away the blanket.

“Very well. Is there anything else?”, the stewardess smiled, pouring coffee in a cup for Bert for then to pour tea for me and Jepha.
“No, that was all”, Bert replied, letting go of my hand to reach for the cup of coffee. “Thanks.”
“You’re welcome.”

“How long was I gone?”, Jepha asked after Bert the stewardess walked away.
“Uh, you were asleep for about an hour, I guess. Max.
“For real? Man, it felt like I’d away out for only a couple of minutes! Flying is exhausting.”
“Tell me about it. Quinn n’ Dan have been out for ages now.”

“Hey, Lina – how’re you holdin´ up? Are you feeling better now or are you still feeling dizzy?”, Jepha asked, looking over at me.
“Yeah, it’s okay. Eating something did the trick, I think. I feel much better now. I try not to think abut it that much, though”, I smiled.
“Awesome – that’s good. I’m proud of you”, he grinned, leaning back in his seat again with his cup of tea.

For the next 10 minutes, not a word was said between all of us.
Jepha had fallen asleep once again now, and his cup of tea wasn’t even half empty.
I grabbed my own cup of tea and took a sip out of the hot content, feeling it burn my tongue.
Bert had just finished his coffee and I guess he needed the caffeine as I saw him constantly yawning.

“You know what?”, I said, looking out of the window. “Flying isn’t that bad after all, I think.”
“That’s good. Really good”, Bert smiled.
He yawned again, this time ending it with yet another adorable smile that made him look like an infant.

“Man, I’m tired. I think I’m gonna try n’ sleep for a while now. I mean, if that’s okay for you.”
“Sure”, I responded. “According to the other guys, it seems like a good idea.”
“Yeah, they’re already fast asleep! So we’ll speak later, okay?”
“Okay.”

“Hey, do you by any chance get to see where Jeph got that blanket from?”, Bert asked.
“I think it was from one of the air plane’s shelves above our seats.”
“Oh, okay. Better go take a look, then.”
Bert got up from his seat and carefully walked over Jepha’s seat where he was sleeping and quietly opened one of the shelves to see if he could find a blanket.
“Found one! Hey – do you want one too?”
“Yes, please”, I smiled looking up at him from where I was sitting.

“Fuck, there’s only one left!”
“Then you can take it, I don’t mind.”
“No way, I don’t want you to get cold”, he said as he sat down next to me with the blanket.
“But you wanted the blanket in the first place, so it wouldn’t be right for me to just take it”, I said.
I was after all right – he claimed the blanket first and was therefore entitled to have it.

“Hey, what if we share it?”
“The blanket?”
“Yeah – I mean, if you wanna?”
“If it’s okay for you, then sure.”
“Awesome!”, he said before giving me half of the blanket as he took the other half and tucked in his body with it himself.

I could see Bert smiling at me as he leaned back in his seat and closed his eyes.
After a couple of minutes, the guys were all asleep now, leaving me alone and awake with nothing to do.
I looked around the entire First/Business class and spotted nothing but sleeping passengers all over the place.
I slowly leaned forward between the seats where Quinn and Dan were sitting as I saw them both being asleep.

Quinn looked like a peaceful child where he was sleeping, holding tightly on to the digital camera that he had been taking pictures with earlier.
His face was so calm and relaxed and he even had a little smile around his mouth.
I looked to the right to Quinn and saw Dan sitting next to him.
Dan’s hair had grown during the summer and was now covering half his face, leaving it to be pretty hard to see from where I was sitting.

I sat back in my own seat while now paying attention to Jepha who was sitting next to Bert to my right.
He was almost lying in his seat with the blanket over him, leaning his head to a small pillow that was attached to the seat.
I shook my head with a smile as I leaned back in my own seat, before I saw Bert.

Bert was lying halfway over my seat now, snoring quietly like a cute little pig.
I smiled, gently tucked him in before I slowly pushed him over to his seat where he mumbled something I wasn’t able to understand.

I wasn’t tired like they were, this due to the fact that I had slept before the food was served.
So as I was looking around while trying to find something interesting to lay my eyes on, it suddenly hit me; my Mp3 player.
Or, as I would like to call it during times like these; a lifesaver.
I opened my red backpack that was placed under my seat and found my little Creative Stone 1 GB Mp3 player.
Yes, I was proud of it and the little electronic thing was pretty damn awesome too.

I put it on shuffle, something I’d never done before, while hearing the tunes of ‘Find A Way’ streaming into my ears.
I leaned comfortably back in the seat, closing my eyes before I started to lip-sync to the song like I always did while listening to music.

I don’t remember much from the rest of the flight, not even when we had that one stop in Tokyo.
Watching ‘Air Crash Investigation’ on Discovery Channel for all those years had really made an impact on me.
So before I knew it, the captain was now already announcing our landing in Osaka to be made in a couple of minutes.

I gazed out of the window to my left, being met with one of the most amazing sight I’d ever seen in my entire life; the Japanese skyline.
There were lights everywhere; blue ones, yellow ones, red ones, green ones, neon lights, flashing lights, and God knows what more was down there.
All in all, it was fascinating and it blew my mind away.

“Wow, look! It’s amazing down there. I’ve never seen anything like it”, I said, completely amazed by Osaka’s beauty.
“Yeah, I know. I love this city”, Jepha added from where he was sitting while having stars in his eyes.
“Fuck, yeah. And the nightlife here is awesome too”, Bert grinned.
“Hey, maybe we should hit the town after we’ve checked into the hotel – maybe Rock Rock Bar or somethin´? We could show Lina around?”
“Yeah, totally! That’d be awesome”, he said, agreeing to Jepha’s suggestion. “Or whaddaya say, Lina?”
“Sure, sounds great. Let’s do that”, I smiled.

And before I got the chance to say anything else, the captain suddenly made an announcement over the radio;

”Ladies and Gentlemen. We are soon arriving Kansai International Airport in Osaka, Japan, and we would therefore ask you to be so kind to fasten your seatbelts before landing. Thank you.”

The captain’s announcement made every single passenger onboard to fasten their seatbelts and for those who were standing to sit down and do the same.

“Finally!”, Jepha burst out. “After the amount of hours in the air, it’s about time we got here.”
“Yeah, I can’t wait to stretch my legs”, Dan added from the front seat.

“So, Osaka, huh? Are you excited, babe?”
“What?”
I looked at Bert, waiting for him to repeat what he had just said.
My mind was elsewhere and I couldn’t wait to get off of this plane.
“Osaka. Are you excited to see the city?”, he smiled.
“Oh, yeah. Sure I am. Can’t wait…”

I was lying. Yet again I was lying.
And each time, I was hoping Bert wouldn’t blow my cover…
♠ ♠ ♠
fuck, fuck, fuck.
my final mid-terms are coming up this week.
and to be honest, i'm scared shitless.
i just hope i'll make it through.
'cause as for now, i need it to secure my future.

okay, that was sentimental.
but still; wish me luck, okay? D:

xo,
lina.