It's Our Time to Shine

You Almost Always Pick the Best.

“There’s no fuckin´ use in asking anyone. People around here don’t speak English”, Bert said, not being able to hold back a resigned sigh as the attempt of finding a video store seemed to fail.
“What about that store over there? If that ain’t a video store, then I’ll take a bubble bath naked with you, Jeph”, Dan added, obviously gambling with his plans for this evening.
“What? Dude, don’t fucking drag me into this. But for the love of all that is holy, I hope that place is a video store.”

We all looked towards the direction Dan was pointing at, and to Jepha’s great relief; he was correct.

“Dan, my man – you’re a genius! And lucky for me, it looks like you’re gonna have to take that bubble bath some other time”, Jepha grinned, patting him gently on his back as we now started walking towards the newly discovered video store.

“We got money, right? Like, Yens?”, Bert asked, flapping a couple of dollar bills with his fringers.
“Yeah, I exchanged earlier today”, Quinn smiled
“When the fuck did you have time for that?”
“I did after we were done with the sound check. I asked this Japanese guy.”
“Ahh, smart”, he grinned as we all now headed inside the video store.

“Hellooo”, a friendly shop assistant greeted.
“Hey!”
“Oh, Americans?”
“Yeah. It’s that obvious, huh?”, Jepha laughed.
“No, no – just the accents”, the shop assistant grinned. “You be renting video now, yes? We have many good films!”
“Awesome, that’s good to hear. You mind if we go and have a look around?”, Bert asked, rubbing his nose.
“No, not at all! Please – go look!”

Bert, Quinn, Jepha, Dan and I all went down the hall of the somewhat large yet cozy video store, trying to find a movie we could rent.

“So, which genre?”, Quinn asked, looking through some racks.
“I don’t know about you guys, but I’m in for some heavy badass action!”, Jepha replied, doing a very hilarious kick flip.
“Horror all the way, dude”, Bert added, looking at me for a respond.
“Bring the horror. I’m down for a good scream tonight.”
“Hah, so I guess you’ll be doing the screaming, then?”, Dan grinned, giving me a teasing look.
“Well, we’ll just have to see about that one”, I said smiling.

“Oh, Zeitgeist!”, Quinn suddenly burst out, grabbing the cover of what was obviously the Zeitgeist movie. “That movie is so good, man!”
“Does it involve chicks gettin´ raped or heads bein´ slashed off?”, Bert asked, hiding his excitement behind a nonchalant smile.
“… No.”
“Then no”, he grinned.
“Fine. You choose”, Quinn said.
“I will. Come on, Lina – let’s find a killer movie to watch.”

I followed Bert down the video store’s hall, walking along the hundreds of racks that were there, containing maybe thousands of videos.

“Hey, guys. I have an idea. Why can’t we all just pick two movies that we want to watch and then gather them all, and we’ll choose which one of those movies we wanna watch the most?”, I suggested, not really waiting for positive feedback.
“That’s a great idea!”
“Yeah, let’s do that”, Quinn smiled, before we all went our separate ways on a hunt for finding our two video choices.

After a couple of minutes, we all gathered by a table in the corner of the store and placed out movies in a row.

“Okay, let’s vote on which one we want to watch the least”, I began. “Quinn, you start by picking out a movie you don’t want to see and then we’ll take it from there.”
“Oh, okay, sounds good. Let me see… This one.”
“Dude, that was my choice!”, Dan burst out.
“Dan, seriously – ‘Chucky’s Bride’?”
“It’s a good movie!”
“Sure, man. Whatever you say”, Quinn laughed, immediately putting the movie aside.

“Bert, your turn”, I smiled, making him carefully eye the movies as I saw him having a hard time trying to figure out which one to put away.
This one”, he finally said. “For sure.”
“That’s mine!”, Quinn said.
“’Scream 2’? What the hell?”
“It’s a classic!”
“My ass”, Bert laughed, putting away the movie.

“Can I go now?”, I asked, looking at the guys with a curious smile upon my face.
“Sure!”
“I have no idea which movie each of you guys chose, so I’m just gonna put away the movie that I know the most.”
“I chose that one”, Bert said as I put away the movie ‘Silent Hill’. “I thought of you when I saw it on the rack. You and your best friend Malin, was it – played the game version, right?”
“Yeah! I can’t believe you remembered that”, I smiled.
“I never forget the things I want to remember”, he replied, looking at me with a sweet face expression.

“Can I pick a movie now?”, Dan asked, eagerly wanting to choose one.
“Yeah, go for it.”
“And don’t put away any of the movies that I chose just ‘cause I happened to do that to one of yours”, Quinn added with a tone in his voice that made me giggle slightly.
“I don’t know which movies you’ve chosen, dumbass. Neither of us do.”

“Duuude, just pick a movie already”, Jepha laughed, now showing signs of impatience.
“Okay, okay – I’ll pick. I choose… This one.”
“That one’s mine.”
“Really, Jepha?”, I asked.
“Yeah. Actually, I remember watching the trailer, so that made me really want to watch the movie itself. Unfortunately, I haven’t had time yet.”
“’The Host’ is a really good movie. I saw it last year”, I smiled.

“Well, too bad, Jeph, ‘cause I just put it away”, Dan said grinning. “Your turn, by the way.”
“Hmm…”, Jepha began, looking at the 6 remaining movies on the table. “I think I’ll put away this one.”
“But that one’s mine too!”, Quinn once again burst out.
“Come on, ‘Edward Scissorhands’? That’s not even a horror movie!”
“Have you seen his hands? They’re freaky as hell!”
“Geez”, Jepha said, laughing at him as he put away the movie.

“Okay, okay, guys – let’s continue”, I added, not being able to hold back my laughter. “Choose a movie, Bert.”
“Me again?”
“Yeah, there are 5 movies left.”
“Okay, give me a sec. Uhm… I think I’ll put away this movie now.”
“Ahh, that one’s mine too”, Jepha added.
“Damn! I really wanted to watch that movie”, I complained, having a humoristic tone in my voice.
“Really?”, he asked surprised.
“Yeah. I actually saw the trailer to ‘The Fog’ a while ago and it looked interesting. Oh, well, maybe next time.”

“My turn”, Quinn said with excitement, now putting away the movie called ‘A Nightmare On Elm Street’. “Glad that movie’s gone. Sorry to whoever who chose this movie, but I just can’t sleep after watching it. Freddy Krueger scares me like hell.”
“It’s okay, dude. I chose it. I couldn’t find my favorite movie ‘Cannibal Holocaust’, so this one seemed like a good runner up”, Bert grinned.
“Okay, so now me again”, Jepha added, putting aside ’Sleepy Hollow’. “Who chose this one?”
“I did”, Dan responded laughing. “And don’t ask why ‘cause I don’t know. It just looked kinda spooky.”

“Okay, so there are only two movies left. Correct me if I’m wrong, but does that mean that the one that doesn’t get put aside is going to be the one we’re watching tonight?”
“Yup”, I replied, looking at Jepha with a smile. “You’re absolutely correct. So, Dan – wanna make the final choice?”
“Yeah, totally!”

He looked carefully at the two remaining movies, trying to figure out which one to put aside.

“Man, these are some really kickass movies! I mean, ‘The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning’ and ‘Friday the 13th: Part III’! Dude, which genius was fucked up enough in his head to come up with these awesome choices?”, Dan asked excited.
“Uhm, better make that ‘her mind’”, Quinn corrected.

Suddenly, they all began looking at me with grins on their faces.

You!”, Bert laughed. “We haven’t put away any of your movie choices yet, so it has to be you.”
“Yeah, you’re right”, I responded blushing. “But we don’t have to watch any of them if you guys don’t want to…”
“Are you fuckin´ kiddin´ me? You’ve chosen the best movies! Fuck, you make our choices look like something taken from children’s television”, Dan added, getting agreeable nods from the others. “So whaddasay? I can’t possibly choose between these two classics – we gotta rent ‘em both. Are you with me, guys?”

“All the way”, we said, before we began replacing the movies we ‘trashed’ and headeded towards the counter with the two we agreed on renting.

“You done decide which movie to rent, yes?”, the shop assistant asked, having an even bigger smile upon his face than earlier.
“Yup, we have.”
“310 Yen, please.”
“Here you go. And keep the change!”, Quinn said before we all went outside and headed towards the hotel again.

“I can’t wait to watch these movies. This night is gonna fucking rock”, Dan grinned.
“Hell, yeah. A couple of beers too and I couldn’t think of anything better at the moment”, Jepha added as we kept on walking down the street.
At that point, I couldn’t think of a better way to spend my night, either…
♠ ♠ ♠
today, its exactly two weeks since i saw and met the used. <3
in a way, its starting to sink in now. (:

but over to this update.
haha, when my friends and i are having a hard time picking a movie at the video store, we always use this method to come to an agreement.
and to tell you the truth, it works every time. (:

fuck, college is coming up soon.
whoa, kinda scared, yet incredibly stoked!
if im lucky, theres internet at my dorm that allows me to get online and keep on updating. ;D

xo,
lina.