Stash $20, Popsicles $15, Getting Stoned With Friends, Priceless

Hayden

I woke up to some screaming. I figured my mom was drunk and was pissed off at the latest man in the house. I quietly moved toward the bathroom. I got in the shower and had the quickest one of my life. I tip toed back to my room pulled on some jeans and a Led Zeppelin shirt and climbed out my window and head to Kevin's, even though it was eight in the morning. I got to their sliding door and saw Caddie, Kevin's mom at the counter. I knocked.

"Good morning Hayden, would you like some breakfast?"

"Sure," I walked in and took a seat next to Kevin opposite Ted.

"You okay?" Kevin whispered

"Yeah. Can I stay here tonight?"

"Sure thing."

"Here you two go, pancakes and orange juice."

"Thanks," we ate in silence then me and Kevin headed down stairs to wait for everyone. I doubted that Frank and Anna would even show up. To our surprise the basement wasn't empty.

"Who's that?" I asked Kevin

"I don't know but whoever they are, they look awfully cozy," we walked the rest of the way down the stairs quietly until we reached the light switch.

"On the count of three," I said "one, two, three," when Kevin turned on the light we saw the unexpected Jamie and Bug.

"Oh my God!" I said loudly as Jamie and Bug stopped kissing

"Guys, WHAT THE HELL?"

"Um it's not what you think," Jamie said standing up

"So you werent kissing Bug?" I pointed out still trying to remove that image from my brain.

"Okay, it is what you think it is."

"Since when?" Was all Kevin could muster.

"3 weeks 4 days," Bug said proudly.

"Okay. Well wasn't this a surprise." I walked over to my chair grabbing a Popsicle for me and Kevin on the way. Kevin decided the couch wasn't safe so he pulled up a box to sit on. He looked around and thought for a second.

"Where are Anna and Frank?" He asked, more so to me then Jamie or Bug.

"Why would you think I would know the answer to that?"

"Because usually you and Anna are inseparable."

"That is true," I tried to think quickly for a cover for those two, "um, they're probably off somewhere pulling pranks and shit."

"I never even thought about that. Good answer," Kevin gave me a weird look as if he didn't believe me.

"I know, I think of everything."

"Yeah, that's it!" Jamie said standing.

"Watch it blonde, I can hurt you!" I said also standing.

"Okay, you two. Back into your corners," I took my seat once again while Jamie snuggled up to Bug. Kevin and I looked at each other and shuddered.

"I'm never going to get used to this," Kevin said averting his eyes to the TV

"I second that," as I turned to watch Gilligan's Island.

As we watched Gilligan's Island, Happy Days, and a few games shows the hours few by cause we soon heard Kevin's dad.

"Kevin supper, send everyone home!" Ted hollered down. Jamie and Bug walked out the basement door and I followed Kevin up the stairs hoping Ted wouldn't get on my case. Luckily he sat down and we ate mostly in silence. A couple of times Ted called Kevin a dumbass because of some stupid things like not doing his homework and skipping last class on Friday with Anna and I.

To hide my laughter from Ted, I had to stuff mashed potatoes in my mouth a couple of times, which cause me to get kicked my Kevin under the table. After we ate the delicious steak and potatoes, we had strawberry shortcake. I loved Caddie's cooking. She's the mother I never had.

"Would you like anymore Hayden?"

"No I'm stuffed, but thank you?"

"Don't you have a house you should be getting home to?" Ted said with his usual angry tone.

"TED!" Caddie warned.

"It's okay Mrs. M. Your right Ted, I should have a house to go home to, but you see the other month my mother lost her job so she couldn't make the bill payments so we lost the house, so I'm forced to live on the-"

"You can stay here, just stop the sad story."

"Thank you," Kevin and I helped clear the table then headed down stairs. I put a Led Zeppelin record on while me and Kevin sat and talked a while before he headed up stairs for bed and I took the back room in the basement.

In the morning I awoke to the lovely smell of French toast, pancakes and bacon. I walked up the stairs and took my seat beside Kevin and dug into my breakfast. I was hoping that when we went to hang out down stairs that Anna and Frank would be there. They better tell everyone soon, I don't want to keep covering for them; it's hard I thought to myself.