Torn Between Two Ways

It's my Dad

Image

I looked at Mikey and then at John, starting to panic. Could I hide? No. If he didn’t find out I was here, we wouldn’t know where I had slept last night.

But was it worse if he knew? I knew he wouldn’t like the idea of me sleeping at my friends’ house because they were boys. Especially since I didn’t ask him first.

Mrs. Way was home. She would defend me. And my dad couldn’t do much harm with her around. I didn’t think he would chance anything with John and Mikey there either. It was afterwards that I was afraid of. How dangerous would it be for me to go home? What if he dragged me home now?

“It’s my dad,” I said under my breath to John and Mikey. As if to prove it, he pounded at the door again, louder this time.

When Mikey saw my terrified expression, I think he put the pieces of the puzzle together. It was like a light bulb went on in his head, and he immediately looked worried.

“What do you want us to do?” he asked. John still looked confused.

I glanced at the door. “Mikey, can you get your mom? It might be better if she explains.”

He nodded and dashed away to go find Mrs. Way. John went to get the door, and I inched forward, staying safely behind him. When John flung the door open, my dad stormed in.

He didn’t appear to be drunk, but that wasn’t always a good thing. “Anna!” he cried angrily. “Where have you been?”

“Here, obviously,” John shot at him, and I wanted to punch him for saying it.

My dad’s face turned red. “I didn’t give you permission to come here. I told you that you weren’t ever allowed to come here. And then to spend the night! What kind of a slut are you?”

I clenched my teeth. Mikey and John were my friends. How could he accuse me of something like that?

John opened his mouth, but Mrs. Way interrupted him. She had followed Mikey out of her room just in time to hear his last sentence, looking appalled; like she couldn’t believe what my own father had just called me. I sure could. It wouldn’t have been the first time. “Excuse me?”

My dad sputtered. I guess she had rendered him speechless. Now that was a first. He always had something to say.

“First of all,” Mrs. Way said, “I can assure you they are under adult supervision whenever Anna is here.” I wondered if that was completely true. “Second of all, Anna is welcome here any time. It’s not fair to tell her she can’t ever be here. As for asking for your permission, I told her I’d call you last night. I forgot, so that was my bad. It won’t happen again.”

I wanted to hug Mrs. Way for standing up for me, but I was barely able to stand up straight. She sounded absolutely fearless and confident in herself.

“That’s not good enough!” my dad exclaimed. “I don’t just want to know where she is, I need her to ask me first!”

Mrs. Way raised her eyebrows. “And what reason do you have to object her staying here the rest of the day?”

My dad narrowed his eyes at her. “None, but she better be home tonight, or I will call the police. You’ll pay for this when you get home, Anna.” He wheeled around and stomped out the door.

My knees wobble beneath me. I was safe for now, but I had no idea what could happen when I got home.

Even worse, Mikey knew what was going on now. Mrs. Way probably had a good guess too. Well, maybe it was a good thing that they knew. Then again, considering that how she had tried to protect me only meant worse for me that night, maybe it was worse.

John caught me when my knees gave out and helped me to the couch. I could tell he was still confused when he saw me shaking.

Mrs. Way put her hand on my shoulder, saying softly, “Anna? Are you okay?”

I looked into her deeply concerned eyes. Could I trust her? I probably didn’t have a choice anymore. “I don’t know,” I replied carefully.

She shook her head sadly. “I need you to tell me the truth, sweetie. Does your father hurt you?”

I saw her eyes wander to my bruises, and I gulped. “Define ‘hurt me,’” I mumbled. It was too late to lie now. She saw my bruises. She heard what he said to me.

She frowned. “I think you know what I mean.”

I nodded weakly. I heard John growl beside me, and Mikey came to sit on my other side.

“I always wondered…” Mrs. Way said to herself. “Don’t worry, honey. Let me go think of what to do. Just try to calm down. I won’t make you go home tonight.” She went back to her room.

I felt that my cheeks were wet. Great. I would never hear the end of it from John. I was crying. But when I looked at him, he didn’t look smug like I expected. Actually, he looked offended.

“Why didn’t you tell me this sooner?” he demanded. “Why did you tell Mikey and not me?”

I threw my arms around his neck and sobbed, “I’m sorry. I didn’t tell Mikey. I think he just guessed a few minutes ago.”

He didn’t answer, but he didn’t push me away either.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment?