I'll Justify My Reasons With Your Blood

Memories To Dust

Was I really going to just lay here and wait for them to come back down and repeat the process? My mind said no, and my body would’ve loved to share the same answer but it honestly couldn’t comply. My brain could try as hard as it may, but it really couldn’t make my body move up and out.

But that all seemed to drastically change after I caught a small amount of conversation taking place in the room above me. “I see phase one is already in action,” I heard Syn say.

Phase one of what? I’m sure that whatever it was that they were discussing could give me some insight into what exactly they have planned for my family and me. This could be my only chance to figure out what the hell was going on and if there was any way for me to stop it!

My limbs quivered as I forced myself up off the ground and onto all fours. It was just poison that was keeping me down, so I can’t let that make me so damn weak.

Even though my fingers were shaking, I extended my arm forward and gripped the edge of the decrepit wooden stair. One by one, splinter by splinter, I crawled up until I reached the top – ignoring the burning feeling I felt in my abused arms, ignoring the urge to let my heavy eyelids fall, ignoring the itching and scratching of the splinters digging into my fingertips, and ignoring the throbbing pain in my head.

The door was shut, so I would have to open it very carefully and very slightly to avoid getting caught. The doorknob was cold and scabby with flakes eaten away by the rust, and I gripped it as hard as I could. The next words I heard after opening the door made me gasp. They were going to try and turn me into one of them?! My eyes widened and my throat constricted – not only because of what I just heard, but also because I was caught.

Shadows grinned, full fanged, as he walked over to where I was waiting for him. “You know it’s been some time since I’ve had blood, and I don’t think Syn is willing to share what’s in his cup. I’m sure our little spy would love to assist me,” he laughed, as he pulled me up off the staircase, dangling me in the air by my hair, making me look quite a bit like a piñata – a very bloody and tortured one.

I desperately glanced over at Syn, “C’mon share some of that with the guy!”

Syn titled the glass, allowing its contents to roll around inside. “You know, I would if he asked like 20 minutes ago, but I’m really thirsty and I need my fill,” he grinned, guzzling down every last drop.

“Oh well,” Shadows shrugged, setting me down on the floor, “guess I’ll have to settle for yours.”

He moved some of my stringy, blood-crusted strands of hair out of his way and leaned forward, so close that I could feel his cold breath pour all over me. “This won’t take too long,” he snickered as he leaned his head back slightly before plunging deep into my tender skin.

I screamed out as I felt his blade-like teeth sever through skin, tissue, and vein. Blood poured almost excitedly from my veins and into his mouth, as if it was escaping the confinement of the veins. I tried weakly to push him off of me, but he didn’t even move an inch. In fact, this caused him to travel even deeper into my neck, all while allowing his hand to freely roam the skin exposed between the slashes made in my shirt; in other words, he wasted no time shifting his hands up to my boobs and roughly squeezing and pulling on them.

My head was spinning as, once again, my body was being put through a critical amount of pain. But much to my surprise, he pulled away suddenly, with blood soaking his teeth and dripping down his face, making him look like a truly ravenous monster. He reached forward and gripped my face between his hands, pulling me closer to him than before. He smiled a toothy smile before opening his mouth entirely and spitting the remaining blood out onto my face.

My jaw instantly dropped wide open after feeling complete shock and disgust mixed into one horribly unwanted feeling. The stickiness of the fluid clung to my skin and began to form a crusted surface. My face was already feeling incredibly stiff. “That was the amount of blood that contained vampire blood. I didn’t want to consume any tainted blood,” he explained, as if that could possibly justify what he just did.

“You’re absolutely despicable!” I shouted, fed up with being treated this way.

Syn walked toward us and crouched down on the other side of me. Suddenly, a very turbulent feeling erupted in my stomach. “Maybe you only think that about us because you’re not one of us?” Syn suggested, hiding a smirk.

Shadows caught on to whatever Syn was hinting at. “You know what, you’re right. I think she has no right to say that until she’s actually one of us.”

I immediately worked on trying to back away from them. “N-no, I didn’t mean it…I don’t w-want to find out what it’s like,” I mumbled, fear minimizing my ability to speak.

“Too late,” he smiled as he cornered me in between him and Syn.

I felt like I was choking as Syn tightly wrapped his arm around my chest to keep me from trying to squirm away. Shadows pulled out a knife from his back jeans pocket – not that I should be surprised, I mean these creeps always have some sort of pain-inflicting object on them at all times.

He gripped my wrist and locked my arm straight in place. Slowly, he sliced across an exposed vein in my arm. Blood followed the lead of the knife in a straight line just about as long as the width of my arm. Then, he repeated the process on his own arm, creating a very similar looking cut. He angled his arm so that his cut was right above mine. Next he slammed his arm down on me and made sure that his wound covered my own, thus mixing blood.

I cringed as I felt a burning sensation devour my bloodstream, slightly similar to what I felt earlier when I got some of Syn’s blood. Shadows observed my body, as if he was watching for some sort of sign. My body randomly twitched suddenly, and this caused his smile to grow in size. “Alright, it’s time. Now all we have to do is kill you,” he replied, snapping his head back around to give me a sickening stare.

“W-what?” I asked, hoping I severely misheard him.

The tightening feeling that was better known as Syn’s crushing arm went away. And instead of hearing only the first official breath I was able to release since then, I also heard what sounded like a gun clicking into place. I fearfully looked over my shoulder to see Syn standing above me with his arm fully extended and a gun aimed right at my chest.

“Welcome to hell,” he grinned, pulling the trigger.

The bullet shot out of the barrel and hit me straight through my shoulder bone. Blood shot out from the circular wound. My body toppled down onto the floor, legs and arms spread out. No matter how hard I tried to cling to life, I just was too weak.

My eyelids suddenly froze in place and my vision blurred. A smog of blackness crawled from the corners of my eye toward the center, causing me to slowly lose sight of the world around me. I…I was dying…they weren’t kidding this time.

The darkness cleared and I found myself floating in a castle somewhere. People were wearing exquisite gowns and suits. I had to of been seeing a scene from the 1800’s or something. People were laughing and dancing to the classical music being played by the orchestra.

I flew through the hallway and into the elegant ballroom and saw a familiar face, or at least so I thought. My parents were sitting up on an elevated platform in two large chairs with crowns on their heads. Jared and Shannon, each with long hair tied in a fancy ponytail, were talking to a couple of girls over in a corner while sipping on what looked like…blood.

Where was I? I mean, if my entire family was here…then shouldn’t I be? My parents were exchanging what looked like serious words. I flew down closer so I could get a better listen. My mom had a very saddened expression on her face.

“Are you certain that nothing else can be done?” she asked.

My father shook his head, “No, it must be done tonight before too much time has passed.”

My mom nodded her head in understanding.

Everyone’s attention immediately turned to the entrance when the door was slammed open. There I was – looking incredibly elegant and beautiful, at least prettier than I look now. I smiled at everyone, and didn’t find it the slightest bit strange that the music and laughter had stopped.

“Mother, Father, what an excellent party this has turned out to be,” I said as I approached the throne.

They exchanged glances before my father sighed, “That may indeed be true. But unfortunately for you, Nicole, your days of immortality have run out.” I couldn’t speak or question what had been said.

As soon as his words left his mouth, I was surrounded by the king’s guard. “W-what is the meaning of this?” I cried out, spinning my head around and pleading with fearful eyes for this misunderstanding to disappear.

There was one way to remove a vampire’s immortality. It was a dangerous and risky process to all of those involved. A silver blade that is bent at an angle of exactly 66 degrees must be soaked for 24 hours in a bath of holy water.

A priest, who was paid by the other vampires, would usually say a prayer and in a sense “bless” the blade before it was used to carve out the immortality of a vampire, much like how a demon is withdrawn from the body of the possessed individual.

However, the process does harm the one performing it. He or she is stripped of one of his/her vampiric powers, considering the fact that stealing a vampire’s immortality is considered highly taboo.

I was bent down onto my knees and a masked soldier held the bent blade over my heart. “Nicole Elizabeth Leto, prepare to turn from the race of which thy were born into and be reduced to the life of humanity forevermore,” the soldier condemned.

The blade was inserted and my screams filled the room. I had been immortal, stuck at the age of twenty-five, for over 100 years. As the legend goes, those who are unfortunate enough to lose their immortality must not only suffer death, but the pain of the years they cheated living through.

Years and years of turmoil, heartache, and suffering racked my now human, vulnerable body with such indescribable pain. My breath was stolen from me and my now beating heart seemed to be willing to jump right out of my chest. No amount of screams could make it end.

My once beautiful dark brown hair turned ratty and gray. My young, smooth face was now rough and covered in wrinkles. My strong arms and legs felt feeble under the weight of the air alone. My body aged 100 years older in a matter of 3 minutes.

It was too much for my body to adjust to and my eyes closed, while my body shut down entirely just like that. The pain was gone. Everything was gone.

The strange world I had been seeing vanished and I was once again able to see the living room in Shadows’ mansion. My head was spinning wildly as my eyes darted around the room. Syn was sitting over in a nearby chair, his eyes glued to the screen as he played a video game. Shadows was nowhere in sight.

I cradled my head in my hand as I sat up and leaned against the wall. “How could my parents do such a horrible thing to me?”