Hate, Love, and Sex Appeal

Ready as I'll Ever Be

Frank seemed more at ease intently listening to unimportant reminisce of the date the previous night. His apprehensive body that had been clutching onto itself fluidly transformed into serene bag of flesh. He could be an amazing listener when he heard what he wanted to hear. He momentarily nodded and his once comatose face showed a flicker of a coveted grin at all the appropriate times.
“And you liked the restaurant? “
“Yeah, I loved it. Everything was amazing. The food was the best I’ve had in a while. Did you find it?”
“I was looking here and there.”
A blazingly obvious hint of the old Iero grin was emerging onto his rosy pout-inspired lip as he blatantly admitted it. An undeniable jet of bliss ignited the regulation of crimson blood flow through the through the negligible strings people call veins. I saw Frankie’s old frenzied soul liberate through his inky black swirled pupils once again. It was painfully obvious as to how much I needed him to be happy or to look alive again.
A subtle knock tapped the door’s wooden frame as I continued to answer the question Frankie had asked. That kid could rapid fire questions like it was nobody’s business.
“Yeah?”
A silky black head poked its way through .
“They got pineapple pizza for us-”
“Pineapple?” I asked curiously.
My family refused, and when I say refuse I mean never in a million years, to order pineapple pizza although it was one of my favorite toppings.
“Yeah, that one’s for you, you fatty. Come on.”
His midnight black hair swooshed from the room as I continued to just lay on the bed’s grace. Frankie put his calloused hand on my thigh and lunged himself up with a great effort.
“Pizza sounds really good right about now. I’ve been eating crap all day. My sweats look good on you, by the way.”
“Why, thank you.”
I stretched out my hands and signaled for him to be of assistance and help me remove myself from the secure bed top. He smugly smirked as he grabbed both of my petite hands into his sturdy ones and pulled me up without a single thought.
“How’s your back?”
“Hm?”
“Gerard told me what happened a little while ago.”
“Oh, it’s fine. He’s such a--”
“Fine caring gentleman, yes, I would have to agree with that.”
Gerard grinned wildly as he revealed himself from behind the window curtain of the hallway.
“Yeah, that.” I joked as I shook my head in amusement as I strode down the stairs.

“Hey, sleepyhead, Gerard just ordered some pizza, come on and eat,” beckoned Donna from the kitchen.
That’s why there’s pineapple. I glanced over just in time to see him grin triumphantly. I took it that he put what I had said behind him, although I didn’t really know if I had just yet.
“I see you’ve managed all of your chores,” stated my dad as he came in through the living room to greet me.
They had were all at least a skin shade darker, which is quite unusual due to the fondness my mother has for not receiving a burn from the sun’s rays.
“Uh, yeah, you’re surprised?”
“No,” he stated shortly, “I just thought you’d do them over the course of the week.”
“Weren’t they meant for today?”
“Didn’t I say the week?” My mother piped up energetically as she bit into a steaming pepperoni-infested slice of pizza.
“You said no such thing.” I argued bitterly, still yearning to lazily fall back into bed and just forget what I was about to do.
“Oh, well, at least it’s done for this week.”

I glazed over at where Gerard was beside the counter, cutting up a couple of scolding hot pieces of delicious food. He vaguely rolled his eyes in acknowledgment as he overheard.
He instantly looked over at where I temporarily stood and quickly grinned, as if to say, Don’t bother, Doll face, at least we’re done for the week, just don’t argue.
He gripped one piece of regular pizza in one hand and a pineapple slice in the other. I could still see the fog of steam arising from the top like lava. The delectable aroma crept into my senses and overwhelmed me without a second to spare. It almost reminded me of a cartoon, where the irresistible smell would become a little ghost and would dance around the awaiting character’s nose, teasing them with their pleasure full scent. He caught my gaze with a bit of difficulty and stealthily nodded towards the awaiting door, wafting my pineapple piece of pizza as persuasion. A sneaky smile crawled onto the lower region of my jaw as I nodded and followed.

He continued teasing me, holding my piece inches away from where I was, until I was outside with him on the back deck. He twisted his features into a mocking smile as he knowingly raised the plate above my puny reaching ability. I lifted myself as high as I possibly could, even stood on my tip toes, yet gained no success in such an effort. However, since my stare was directed upwards, I saw an explosion of brilliant constellations without a single cloud blocking view of the fullest moon. Immediate ecstasy washed over me in tsunami as the view of the astounding and breath-taking night sky filled me to the brim.
I must have been obvious because Gerard cocked an eyebrow as he continued to gaze at me, still with my piece of pizza floating high above me.
“What?”
I just grinned and pointed upward as I ran over and laid in the newly found hammock. I couldn’t remember if it had been there since we had gotten here or if it had just been set up. None of it held any source of importance and that was partially due to my fixation with the perfect outlook and partially to my rumbling stomach. I could see him from my peripheral view, as he staggered over to where I laid, shaking his head.

“What is with you when it comes to the sky? You’re completely obsessed. I mean, I admit it, it is quite the sight. But, what do you see when you look up there?”
With the unremarkable effortlessness, he carefully climbed in with the two roaring hot slices still occupying his hands. He gave up the ghost and handed me my food as he was forced into me by the sturdiness of the rope.
“Um, well, to be honest, it’s more of a feeling than what I see…really. I dunno, it’s just so fascinating. To think there could be other things out there in the “great beyond” and whatnot. It’s just…so big. It makes me feel like my problems are only trivial, that there’s more out there. Besides, it’s so beautiful. The constellations and all the clumps of stars that form shapes. You can see Polaris and Sirius. Oh, and the Big Dipper, and, is that Mars? Oh and-”
“How do you see that?”
“By looking.”

I eagerly bit into the sizzling piece a bit too quickly, and the slight burning sensation overthrew my calm serene mood, but not too much. I waved a hand in front of my face, as if that was really going to do me any good, but I couldn’t really think of any other set of action that was able to be taken.
“Brianna, is that hot?”
I nodded vigorously as I continued to wave in front of my face, the scorching of my mouth was simmering down.
“Well, you know. Steam, the hot condensation that comes off of the pizza, is a good source of telling you when not to eat it. It just came out of their oven, dummy.”
“Sut uhp.”
I chewed quickly and swallowed and let out a sigh of relief as the pain enduring was reaching a halt.
I decided to blow on it because it was between that or just wait until it cooled down enough for me to swallow without the potential of scalding my throat.
“Mind if I join you guys?”

There stood Megs with a violently red thermal blanket fit for five underneath her lanky arms.
“Only if you share the blanket,” I bargained, jokingly.
“ S’ a done deal.”
She immediately joined my side of the strapping hammock and snuggled closer to me without any hesitancy.
“Look, isn’t it so…pretty?”
“Jeez, Bri, you and the sky, again. Why don’t you just go and get eloped already? I mean, it’s not gunna wait forever, you know,” she said as she nudged me in a sisterly sort of way.
“Yeah, I know, right? I’m glad I’m not the only one who notices that,” whispered Gerard towards Meg’s direction.
“I’m right here, I can hear you. Defeats the point of whispering, don’t ya think?” I whispered to Gerard.
“No because you really can’t hear me. I’m just a figment of your very active imagination. A very fine looking figment, if I do say so myself.”
Megs giggled full heartedly as Gerard gave her an exclusive high five over me as I hungrily dug into my half eaten slice while rolling my eyes at the silent joke.

“Yeah, it does look really pretty.” Megs admitted after a few moments of pure silence.
“Hah.” I whispered proudly.
I slowly finished up the end of the yummy crust and handed the plate to Megs who put it down on the icy ground with a rock above it to secure it.
“So, how was your day out, Megsy-poo?”
I nestled a bit closer to Gerard due to nippiness of the wind and his fatally addicting heat.
“It was a lot of fun. Frankie was kind of out of it and Mikey was chased by a clown, Jade was there too and apparently she really doesn’t like clowns.”
I giggled, only imagining what that could have meant.
“Why, what happened?” Gerard asked in an interested tone.
“She hauled her shoe at him and broke his nose. Poor Benny. He was making them such a nice pair of princess tiaras. They aren’t suing or anything, just claimed as an accident. Although, Benny didn‘t look too happy about having blood gush out of his nose.”
I full out laughed at the imagery that was painted across my mind’s eye in an instant.
“Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun.”
“Yeah, it was okay. I wish you guys were there. You make everything more interesting. What did you guys do?”
“Chores.” Gerard and I simultaneously stated in monotone.
“Fun times, fun times. So Bri, how’s Logan doin’?”
My stomach had whiplash from the boldness of the question. I had lost those thoughts for a moment in a swirling vortex hidden within the layers of my unraveled mind. They all resurfaced at once, declaring their negotiable hold over me, once again.

“He’s alright, really haven’t hung out with him in a while. I’m starting to miss Poot and Mac and Jade though,” I stubbornly admitted.
“Yeah, Poot, Mac, and Jade are awesome. We should hang out with them again soon,” said Gerard, lost in a train of thought.
We were comfortably huddled together, all clinging closely to one another as the whispering winds swung us back and forth. My resting head discreetly rose with every intake and exhale Gerard’s lungs took and gave out. His even breaths were somewhat of a restful lullaby as he breathed in and out slowly at a regulated pace.
“My butt’s getting cold, you guys, I’m gunna head in.” Megs stuttered through a restless yawn.
“Mmkay.” I hummed as the slight swaying of the hammock rocked us back and forth at a lulling pace.
The swinging faltered as she sluggishly removed herself from the hammock’s comfortable imprisonment and headed back over to the house.
“Bri?”
I heard the hum of his statement reverberate against his ribcage as he spoke tenderly in a dulled voice.
“Mmm?”
“Move over a bit? This blanket is huge and I wanna put it underneath .”
I responded by moving to where he told me to. Within an instant, I was comfortably wrapped up in his insulated hold underneath the thermal blanket. I absentmindedly snuggled closer to him as the swaying of the hammock resumed.

“Dude, you can see Polaris.”
I chuckled to myself as I heard Mikey’s opinion.
“Yeah, isn’t it-”
“Pretty Mikes?” Gerard finished with a bit of a sarcastic hint embedded within his voice.
“Shut up.” I mumbled while nudging him.
“Actually, it is. I’d have to agree with Bri.”
“Ha ha,” I muttered into his chest as he continued to cradle me in his arms.

“So Mikey, heard you were rescued from a clown?”
He scoffed as he laid against the nearest tree trunk.
“Meg already told ya, huh?”
“Mhm.” I admitted as my smile grew consciously.

“So how about you and Jade, eh?” Gerard questioned as he traced little circles within the palm of my hand.
Gerard and Mikey were closer then many brothers I had come to know. They didn’t instantly shrug each other off as if they didn’t care. Gerard was Mikey’s idol, in other words. It’s something that makes a smile appear on my face. Mikey went to Gerard for everything, literally everything. Mikey had no problems talking about girls with his older brother. Gerard had the same comfort within Mikey, as well. I admit it, though, I always grew slightly jealous of their loving brotherhood they were able to share. It makes me wish that I could have that again.
“Aw, Gee, she is amazing. I can’t believe she lives near us too. She’s so quirky, I don’t know many girls that would chuck their shoe at a clown. I’m taking her on a date soon.”
“Aw, that’s really cute, Mike-n-ike.” I said quietly, more to myself rather then Mikey.
“Yeah, I got to know this guy Johnny at the pier and he can get me in after closing hours. So, I kinda wanna take her there, just me and her. A bit of a surprise, so don’t ruin it.”
“I taught you well, my young apprentice .”
“Star Wars? Gee, no.”
I giggled at Mikey’s reluctance to Gerard’s obvious reference to Star Wars.
“I always knew you had charm, Mikey.” I said as I saw him stand up to leave.
“Thank you. I always knew this would somehow work out.” He nodded towards Gerard’s body entangled within my own.
I could feel the rush of blood surge to my cheeks. I rarely blushed, however, when Mikey pointed anything out that was obvious, I tended to have ruby red liquid adorn my cheeks. He was just blatantly honest when he spoke. I felt Gerard pull me a bit closer and his intoxicating heat penetrated my skin without any doubt.
“Hey Mikey, do you know the time?”
“Around ten-thirty-ish . Why?”
“No reason.”
He eyed me warily as he went to continue his trail to the house.
“Alright, well, you two keep each other warm. I’ll be inside the toasty warm house.”
I childishly stuck out my pink tongue and scrunched my face at him as he walked backwards repeating my notion with his tongue stuck out and moose antlers on the side of his head with his hands.
“Ah, kids.” Gerard hummed as he chuckled at our private game.
“What’s wrong with being a kid?”
“Absolutely nothing.”
“You should know, Peter Pan.”
“Did you have to bring that up or did I just put myself there?”
“Second option, kiddo.”

Silence passed the time away inconspicuously as we swayed under the moonlit sky, oblivious to anything else happening rather then us and what the sky held in it’s remarkable embrace.
“I think I’m going to head in, it’s getting cold.”
I shivered as I hesitantly stuttered out an unsure sounding statement.
“Yeah, ‘s too cold, come on.”
We shifted out our weight onto our feet as we rose and stumbled on over to the house. I automatically gripped the heated blanket in my clutch and wrapped it around me, isolating myself for the brief journey to the warm insides of the house.
“You little brat, how’d you get that away so quick?”
“Magic.”
I imitated holding a wand and swishing it from side to side as I walked quickly to where warmth was radiating in profusions amounts. Gerard was right beside me as we stalked into the house rapidly. Our parents held different sized mugs of different multicolored shades in tight fists, the pleasant scent of tea leaves and tantalizing hot cocoa wisped within folds of air floating around the room. The metallic kettle was screeching in fuming protest as Mikey and Frank fought over the red tainted mug. Megan swept into the room with the grace of an angel and flicked the burner off and removed the kettle from it’s heated positions.
With a sneering taunt worn upon her appearance, she tugged the cup from the middle of the tug of war and poured steaming water in.
I smiled at how much like me she was. She must have felt it through her skin because she glanced up and offered a smile in my precise direction.
I glared over at the clock with the bloody red numbers blinking 10:53pm. I still had to make myself a bit decent to go out. I feigned a yawn and tugged the comfort of a blanket tighter to my frame.
“I think I’m gunna crash. G’night.”
Everybody acknowledging waved over at me and faint good nights were exchanged. I didn’t meet anyone gaze; Frank was right, I gave everything way with a simple look. My biggest and most dangerous downfall.
I shuffled up the stairs and searched my draw for the coal black eyeliner I kept with all my other make-up. When it wasn’t to be found I hatched an idea and went into Frank and Mikey’s bathroom.
Ah-ha!
There it was, in the sink with the clear cap askew resting on the white tiled floor. I scooped it up, messily applied a quick layer to my eyes and checked myself in their mirror. My back had a bit of pain lingering within it, but it wasn’t anything too disturbing. I stealthily crept back into my room. I pulled on my black skinny jeans that I adored and tugged on my Chuck Taylors. With once last glance of my room, I opened the window and carefully crawled out. I shut it back up again and continued towards the fire escape that had been proven to be of great use. I had the chunky wood tightly gripped in my grasp and nearly half-way down, when I heard the distinct opening of a window.
“Bri?”
I stayed silence and refused to move even an inch as Gerard’s voice echoed to my ears in a soft whisper.
“Bri, don’t go. I know you’re right there. I know you can hear me.”
He was bluffing of course, but I felt myself tense up.
“You’re still gunna go even when Frankie looked like death when he told you about Logan? Your best friend, Bri? You’re going against your best friend’s advice? I know you’re there, just answer me.”
“For a person that takes being rude into consideration…you put eavesdropping aside quite often.”
“That doesn’t matter and you know it. Brianna, just get the fuck back inside.”
"I can't, Gerard."
"Why the hell not?"
"Because it's just something I need to take care of."
I continued to climb down and hit the bottom and as I did so, a tap greeted my left shoulder.
“Ready?”
“Yeah, so…where are we going?”
As ready as I’ll ever be.