Don't Be so Scared

Chapter 1

Well I was helping Mikey take Butcher’s drums inside.

“What are you going to be for Halloween, Johnson?” Asking after talking about how excited he was for that special day.

They all referred to me by my last name.

“I’m not dressing up.” I stated simply.

“You know the band won’t let that fly.” He said with a huge smile completely not believing I was going to try to get out of dressing up.

“Well what will they do if they don’t know ‘til the day of the show?” Mischief obvious on my face.

“How do you know I won’t run off and tell them?” He shot back.

“Because if you do I’ll kill you.” I said lightly. “And you’ll have to carry Butcher’s kit all by yourself from now on.”

“You’re not the only one that would help me.” By that time we got the pieces we were moving inside where we needed them.

“Really.” I asked.

We were now having an old fashioned stand off.

Toe to Toe.

“Really.” He said in the same tone as I did.

We just stared into each other’s eyes. This was probably the most intense moment ever caused by a person not dressing up for Halloween.

Then he darted off back to the buses.

“Shit!” I started tearing after him toward the bus.

He was taller than me and had a head start so he got to the bus first but he fumbled with the door.

Once he realized how close I was he got the door open and started shouting for the guys.

“Butcher! Sisky! Bill! Mike! Chiz!”

They probably weren’t even up yet.

I caught him and wrapped my arm around his neck putting him in my infamous headlock.

But I was wrong to think I won.

Out walked William yawning and rubbing the sleep from his eyes making him look like an adorable child.

“What’s up Mikey?” His words came out in a yawn but an amused smile adorned his face. This was not the first time he’d seen a situation like this, he’s been in one of my headlocks before matter-of-fact.

“Nothing.” I spoke quickly and in a firm voice to tell Mikey not to talk. “Mikey had nothing to say.”

“Not true.” He totally didn’t understand the tone of my voice.

My arm tightened around his neck.

Yet he still spoke even though his words came out strained.

“She said she’s not going to dress up.” He managed to croak out.

“Really now.” William eyes grew wide in disbelief before it relaxed and turned sly. He leaned against the wall next to him right at the entrance of the bunk room. “How did you think you’d get away with that, Johnson?”

I dropped Mikey to the ground.

“How’d you think you’d make me?” I replied in the same sly tone.

His eyes were on fire-something that was hard to get from anyone moments after they woke up-with the amusement of all of this.

“I’ve convinced Tony into doing it and I know I can talk you into doing what I want.” He wore and even more devious smirk.

“You think so?” Amazed that he’d speak of the little past we had so openly.

Mikey realized his job was done and decided now was the time to get out of the possible line of fire.

“I know so.” He said smug as ever and he walked over to me.

“You wished you had some control of me Beckett. I could be your little fem-bot that wouldn’t even want to cuddle after.” I said bitter sarcasm evident.

“Hey I like to cuddle!” He joked.

“I’m still not dressing up.” I said with a simple smile.

“If you don’t you’ll never escape the terror of the practical jokes of the tour. You’ve been blissfully pardoned from most of them but that can change.” He threatened me with a smile.

“What are you saying I’ve been pardoned because I’m in good graces with you?” I was taken aback by the thought of him thinking he ruled the practical jokes.

“No. You’ve been in good graces with everyone. Not dressing up will put you on everyone’s shit list.” Ok he wasn’t that self-absorbed, good.

“Halloween is in three days I’m not going to have the time to get a costume.”

“We have two days off after today. I’ll take you shopping tomorrow.” He spoke confidently dismantling my flimsy excuse.

“You’ll make me be something stupid.” I whined.

“Who would you rather go with? Someone who’ll lie to you just to make you feel better about what you’re wearing?” I knew he was the best person to take shopping because he always told you what he really thought of what you’re wearing. “Wait do you have your fangs?” he remembered them suddenly.

Yes, I do have fake fangs. The nice ones that slide right over your teeth and you don’t have to mess with too much. Like the ones they wore in Fall Out Boy’s video, the double fangs that cover your canine and the tooth in front of it.

“Yeah.”

“So we just have to get you an outfit. It won’t be some cheesy vampire costume like Jack’s though.”

“Hey my costume isn’t cheesy!” Of course he would walk out just in time to hear that.

“I love you Jack but it kinda is.” I said honestly.

“Screw you guys.” He said as he walked off the bus.

William turned his attention back to me.

“So tomorrow?” It was hardly a question.

“Billvy-” He didn’t let me finish

“Jae.” He used his nickname for me and I shot him a look.

That nickname meant nothing but trouble.

“Jaedyn. You’re dressing up.” That was final.